Why become a member? ×

Stingray Status Graphite neck

obi 2 kenobi

this is a brilliant chance to turn your stingray into a proper high end super bass, the difference is fantastic! anyone who has a 4 bolt stingray should strongly consider it, i guess it maybe could be modified to 6 bolt? although i dont know

id say somewere around £200-£250 would be a good price

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='BassManKev' post='276099' date='Sep 3 2008, 09:59 AM']i guess it maybe could be modified to 6 bolt?[/quote]

The more castellation you introduce to a carbon fibre component the greater the chances of undermining the structural integrity of the weave, and the component fundamentally failing at one of these locations. It would be wiser to have the wood body modified to match the neck than vice-versa.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='276128' date='Sep 3 2008, 11:23 AM']iirc i think the area which you drill into is specially reinforced so that this wouldnt be a problem....[/quote]

Correct, it is reinforced and can be drilled without any issue.

If anyone wanted this for a 6 bolt, I am not sure whether the position holes for a 4 bolt and 6 bolt match, i.e. only need to drill 2 holes or not.

[quote name='obi 2 kenobi' post='276173' date='Sep 3 2008, 11:18 AM']Correct, it is reinforced and can be drilled without any issue.

If anyone wanted this for a 6 bolt, I am not sure whether the position holes for a 4 bolt and 6 bolt match, i.e. only need to drill 2 holes or not.[/quote]

Yes, what Status refer to as a “super tough insert” and which has been designed for 3, 4 and 6 bolt fixing. However, these necks have been designed to work as single fix, and the insert designed to work with a maximum of six voids, at specific locations. Assuming the relative positions of the current voids are suitable axially for a six-bolt body there’s no issue. But, should the existing voids require modification, or for more than a further two voids to be introduced - not taking into account issues of proximity - then the potential for the carbon fibre to fail at this location is increased exponentially. Given that it is not possible to fill carbon fibre in the way that it is to fill wood, why it was relevant to suggest that modification of the body was a more realistic scenario that modification of the neck.

[quote name='noelk27' post='276181' date='Sep 3 2008, 12:23 PM']Yes, what Status refer to as a “super tough insert” and which has been designed for 3, 4 and 6 bolt fixing. However, these necks have been designed to work as single fix, and the insert designed to work with a maximum of six voids, at specific locations. Assuming the relative positions of the current voids are suitable axially for a six-bolt body there’s no issue. But, should the existing voids require modification, or for more than a further two voids to be introduced - not taking into account issues of proximity - then the potential for the carbon fibre to fail at this location is increased exponentially. Given that it is not possible to fill carbon fibre in the way that it is to fill wood, why it was relevant to suggest that modification of the body was a more realistic scenario that modification of the neck.[/quote]

A 4 to 6 bolt fixing works fine in my experience. Most necks are constructed around a solid core although IIRC the headstock of the status neck was hollow. However I'm pretty sure that the neck itself isn't hollow, its likely to be filled with either epoxy foam or some kind of wood (even MDF) that runs under the length of the fingerboard. Unless someone else here has actually chopped one in half or has first hand advice from Rob, its probably not worth generalising about it any further.

as far as i know, its filled with foam of some sort. im pretty much 100% theres no wood involved

i think if anyone is thinking of modding it to 6 bolt, they should contact rob for his opinion, he knows best!

otherwise, 4 bolt owners buy it !

[quote name='BassManKev' post='276207' date='Sep 3 2008, 12:55 PM']otherwise, 4 bolt owners buy it ![/quote]
If the 4 bolt holes don't line up you'll encounter the same uncertainty as with a 6 bolt neck. If the neck heel is filled with solid MDF as I suspect it might be then its not going to be a big deal. Just get some wood filler or epoxy putty and fill the holes.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='276207' date='Sep 3 2008, 12:55 PM']as far as i know, its filled with foam of some sort. im pretty much 100% theres no wood involved

[b]i think if anyone is thinking of modding it to 6 bolt, they should contact rob for his opinion, he knows best![/b]

otherwise, 4 bolt owners buy it ![/quote]

That would certainly put an end to any debate wouldn't it?

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='276210' date='Sep 3 2008, 12:59 PM']If the 4 bolt holes don't line up you'll encounter the same uncertainty as with a 6 bolt neck. If the neck heel is filled with solid MDF as I suspect it might be then its not going to be a big deal. Just get some wood filler or epoxy putty and fill the holes.[/quote]

i dont think it is mdf, but anyways we need to stop speculating!! if anyone wants to know, give rob an email, he's a great guy

BUMP, lets get this bass neck sold

Edited by BassManKev

• 3 weeks later...

Hi back in the UK again and now able to add photos.

As said before its been drilled for a 4 bolt by the bass gallery where it was bought.

Got it about 4 years ago. Rarely been used, only been gigged once. Why you may well ask. Well my number 1 bass is a '78 stingray. The '87 ray with graphite neck doesn't get a look in. I prefer the restrained sound and feel of the '78.

I've switched back to the original maple neck.

Neck has standard trussrod adjustment at headstock. Compared to wooden neck, gives more precise sound (less coloured as you move around neck), better sustain and full rich sharp sound.

Price is £240. Based in West London. Pick up preferred but will post.

Edited by obi 2 kenobi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

[quote name='speedtriple' post='417884' date='Feb 23 2009, 09:27 PM']Hi, I'm interested in this neck. Still available?[/quote]

I bought it eons ago mate, I may be selling it separately from my 'ray soon, but someone else (MB1) has first dibs

[quote name='steve' post='418035' date='Feb 24 2009, 12:35 AM']I bought it eons ago mate, I may be selling it separately from my 'ray soon, but someone else (MB1) has first dibs[/quote]

Thanks ;)
If it's the one on the pictures (4 bolt), I'm interested
How much you asking for?

Let me know, I'll be waiting.