Why become a member? ×

Bass and it's impact on the daily grind - Discuss

grumpyguts

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I have returned to playing in a band after many years of inactivity. I now find myself spending a decent amount of time learning new stuff and trying to be a better player; finding this very enjoyable – so far.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]There is a slight side effect; much of my time at work is spent thinking about tracks I should learn, things I cocked up at the last session etc. Work is tedious Bass is interesting.[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]For those of you that are doing more stuff than this – e. g regular gigs, multiple bands etc. Do you find the daily grind a distraction and sometimes feel xxxx this! I would rather be playing bass?[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='grumpyguts' timestamp='1439590973' post='2844313']
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]I have returned to playing in a band after many years of inactivity. I now find myself spending a decent amount of time learning new stuff and trying to be a better player; finding this very enjoyable – so far.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]There is a slight side effect; much of my time at work is spent thinking about tracks I should learn, things I cocked up at the last session etc. Work is tedious Bass is interesting.[/color][/size][/font]
[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]For those of you that are doing more stuff than this – e. g regular gigs, multiple bands etc. Do you find the daily grind a distraction and sometimes feel xxxx this! I would rather be playing bass?[/color][/size][/font]
[/quote]

I know what your getting at, it's one of the reasons I now play full time for a living.

Blue

I find my band and playing bass the most interesting thing I do, and often think about it all when at work. At present most of my thoughts are on buying an Ampeg as I heard loads last week at The Rebellion Festival and absolutely loved them (always have, but this was a refresher).

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1439651992' post='2844700']
I find the daily grind pretty unbearable & think "F**k this!" several dozen times a day.

I would do this whether I played an instrument or not though so I don't think that's got anything to do with it in my case.
[/quote]

That's what I thought. So i quit my job and have been a full time musician since, have not looked back one bit. Off on another contract in Sept, so things are going well. Perseverance is all it takes.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1439759453' post='2845603']
I'm currently training a bunch of Indians to do my job so I can be made redundant, so music provides a bit of solace.
[/quote]
That is crap, Mike. I know what you mean but I deal with the like all day and if people want service, they'll bring it back home again.

many many large companies have outsourced but when the work gets technical, you need to get beyond, do 1,2, 3... and those places are just processing
elements, if that,
Depends what field they are in, but I find them a pain if they are involved at all at any point. No flexibility and not allowed to think for themselves=RRPITA

Work can be annoying sometimes but I find I do a lot of the band admin while at work; booking gigs, organising calendars, balancing the finances etc... I had to draw the line at clicking in the drums on demo ideas though as I find midi drumming a pain at the best of times & constant frustrated mumblings about my "work" wasn't going down well in the office!