Why become a member? ×

NAD - Ashdown ABM EVO II 500

discreet

I went lightweight (PUMA500) and I've had to put a sansamp in front of it and run the amp flat.

Do miss my ABM though. When I say miss, it started crackling mid-set (happened more than once), and I figured that since I'd had it since 2006, I'd just get something new anyway (plus it was heavier than my new Barefaced cabs, which seemed a bit silly)..

Need to get it serviced and see how I feel....

I must admit this thread has got me interested in Ashdown again. I still have my MAG307 C-115 that i use about once a year, and actually dont mind using it, but its only used in emergencies.

I could never go back to a heavy head, but the Rootmaster 800 looks very attractive.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1438937542' post='2838744']
I must admit this thread has got me interested in Ashdown again. I still have my MAG307 C-115 that i use about once a year, and actually dont mind using it, but its only used in emergencies.

I could never go back to a heavy head, but the Rootmaster 800 looks very attractive.
[/quote]

I'm gigging the RM800 tonight for the first time - will report back! Looking forward to using it I anger I must say :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1438942656' post='2838800']
...the new Tech21 500watt head.
[/quote]

I did have quite a lot of GAS for that, and still do to a certain extent, mainly because it wouldn't need a preamp or pedal in front of it. But neither does the ABM, so I've gone off the boil somewhat. I suppose it's down to whether hauling the ABM gets tedious. But it really isn't [i]that [/i]heavy... I yearn for the time when men were men, there were no Class 'D' amps and no power steering!

Everyone had huge biceps, even the dweebs, dorks and nerds!! :D *Does heavy weights while scowling and smoking a fag*

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1438947388' post='2838862']
I did have quite a lot of GAS for that, and still do to a certain extent, mainly because it wouldn't need a preamp or pedal in front of it. But neither does the ABM, so I've gone off the boil somewhat. I suppose it's down to whether hauling the ABM gets tedious. But it really isn't [i]that [/i]heavy... I yearn for the time when men were men, there were no Class 'D' amps and no power steering!

Everyone had huge biceps, even the dweebs, dorks and nerds!! :D *Does heavy weights while scowling and smoking a fag*
[/quote]

I like it for the fact that its going to be very close to what i use now, but without the extra leads etc. I normally run my MN head flat and let the BDDI or DarkGlass do all the tone shaping, so having it all in one box really appeals to me.
Having owned an ABM i agree its not THAT heavy but due to the way the band has gone recently im already carrying more than i used to back and forth, no point making it worse. That was one reason for replacing the cab.

Im not a particularly strong bloke but i dont mind carrying heavy things if i have to......i do try and get out of it if i can though lol.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1438948652' post='2838881']
I'm not a particularly strong bloke but i dont mind carrying heavy things if i have to......i do try and get out of it if i can though lol.
[/quote]

Well there is that... I'm not as young as I was and have had one hernia operation already... I really don't want another! :D But 14kg or thereabouts isn't gut-busting if you're sensible about it. Which in my case means a sack truck!

Edited by discreet

Have had an ABM500 III for about 5-6 years now and its a great amp. Lovely amount of warmth and power. Little bit of grit from the valve. Never really used the compressor or the sub harmonica though. I have finally decided to try these new fangled light weight amps and have a Tech 21 VT500 on order and it seems to fit the bill the best. Looking like end of the month now though before it will arrive.

A gratifying number of posts expressing years of trouble-free use. Reliability is up near the top of the requirement list, imho.
I suppose the amps that [i]don't [/i]burst into flames just go on and on! :D ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1438951545' post='2838933']
I suppose the amps that [i]don't [/i]burst into flames just go on and on! :D ;)
[/quote]

Or fix themselves. My MAG started to distort at all levels just over a year after i got it. It was in the Bass centre for six weeks and they couldn't find anything wrong with it (although could hear the issue). They had to just give up and give it back (minus a knob). its actually a lot better these days. Very strange.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1438804789' post='2837610'] Great amp! I think the naysayers have either used them with muddy cabs or are after a totally different tone. Try one on a Super Twin - magic! [/quote]

.... or two BigBaby2 :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1438942656' post='2838800']
Nice, please do as its probably going to be a toss up between that and the new Tech21 500watt head.
[/quote]

Ended up using my CTM30 because the room was tiny. I can happily report that the CTM30 kicks arse and is very giggable with sensitive cabs, but that doesn't help you!

I'm not on tonight's gig so will have to come back to you next weekend - I know the venue so know the RM800 will be able to stretch its legs :)

Edited by Merton

Warning boring technical content. From memory (not too good nowadays) the ABM and MAG range use Class AB output stages using power FETs similar to the old Trace designs (can't remember whether they are VFets or Mosfets.

Advantages over bipolar transistor output stages are that the the transfer charateristic is closer to valve than transistor so clipping is less harsh, and they do not suffer from thermal runaway (if the heatsink is too small or ambient temerature is too high). Disadvantages are that they give out less power (fewer watts) for a given power supply voltage so transformers are bigger (hence heavier).

Incidentally it is a lovely looking amp. Looks like it means business.

Edited by Chienmortbb

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1439372903' post='2842185']
Warning boring technical content. From memory (not too good nowadays) the ABM and MAG range use Class AB output stages using power FETs similar to the old Trace designs (can't remember whether they are VFets or Mosfets.

Advantages over bipolar transistor output stages are that the the transfer charateristic is closer to valve than transistor so clipping is less harsh, and they do not suffer from thermal runaway (if the heatsink is too small or ambient temerature is too high). Disadvantages are that they give out less power (fewer watts) for a given power supply voltage so transformers are bigger (hence heavier).

Incidentally it is a lovely looking amp. Looks like it means business.
[/quote]

Not boring at all, good to have that confirmed, thanks. :) Having missed the slam of a valve power stage I've been looking at second-hand valve amps, but have to be honest with myself and admit that I'd probably never use one live purely because of the weight. And hybrid amps with a Class D power stage can be very good indeed, but just aren't the same. IMHO, of course.

It's nice to know how the ABM does its thing, and while it's not as hefty soundwise as an all-valve amp (again IMHO), it's certainly close enough and a totally workable and practical compromise between weight, tone and performance. To the extent that I've cancelled my eBay searches for valve amps. The fact that the ABM is still currently available and the company very much alive and kicking is a bonus, too.

Aesthetically it's got an atomic-era retro vibe about it, what with the blue powder-coated steel front plate, plethora of push-buttons, rotary and slider controls, front-mounted DI-out XLR socket and backlit VU meter... and a leather carry handle! Cool! B) I'm just slightly mortified that the amp which turns out to be ideal for my purposes has been right under my nose all this time... so to speak.

Edited by discreet

Of course if you talk to the transformer manufacturers, they will claim (and do) that the valve sound is mostly down to the way the output transformer behaves. I am not conforming that but is does seem to question the value of valve preamps.

As for the look pf the amp, I was trained in the late 60's and all test equipment looked like that. So I suppose I am suffering nostalgia.

Yes both the Ashdown ABM and MAG ranges use the same Mosfet output stage, and which are uncannily similar the the Trace Elliot amps, even using the same mosfet devices at times. No surprise there as they are all designed by the same chap, Clive Button. Trace did go through a bipolar phase for a while, but this didn't really work well as they had a habit of going pop due to a weak earthing point inside the amp, causing instability in the output section.

• 5 years later...