Why become a member? ×

Cilla Black RIP

leschirons

FWIW I couldn't stand her voice either, and hated her TV shows. She gave a lot of people pleasure though, so I suppose she must have been doing something right. That notwithstanding, she was still a person with friends and loved ones who will be feeling pain at her loss. It's as sad a time for them as it is for any bereaved people, and it's them I feel sorry for.
From what I understand she wasn't in terribly good health these days, and had more than once expressed a desire to 'be with' her husband -- I've read in more than one place that losing him knocked a lot of the life out of her too.

Finally -- there's a time and a place for crap/crass jokes, and I would suggest that this thread is neither. Please desist.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1438766248' post='2836964']
Shame, that in a thread titled "Cilla Black RIP" you felt the need to post the above![/quote]
No, I don't think so. It's a shame that she has died and I'm sorry for her family, but we're all adults. "Let us say what we think, and be frank about it: death does not confer privileges."

I liked Cilla; when I was a nipper apparently whenever she was on the telly, I would sit with my nose an inch from the screen and just watch her sing, mesmerised. She had that... I don't know, [i]something[/i] that stood her apart.

I didn't care much for her tv shows to be honest but it was obvious she was a 'people person', and took a genuine interest in those that appeared on her shows.

As for the 'jokes' - well, they're inevitable aren't they? Personally I think it says more about the 'jokers' than anything else. We have a bad jokes thread don't we, maybe they should be in there... Sadly when someone of note dies these days, there is always a raft of 'commenters' somehow pleased or proud to say how much they disliked them. It's the 'Eastenders culture' I guess.

Very very sad. I'm in my 70th year so grew up with her and all the others. when she sang softly she sounded great but when she went loud her voice had a hardness to it. I bought most of her records and step inside love was/still is my favourite.

RIP Cilla, legend. B)

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1438535854' post='2835263']
i quite enjoyed the Sheridan Smith Cilla TV show last year.
[/quote]

Sheridan Smith is a great actress, convincing in loads of very different roles, including Cilla.
But as Cilla Black singing, she looked more like Hilda Baker.

Edited by Slipperydick

• 2 weeks later...

I don't recollect ever finding myself often agreeing with Ian McNabb, but there has been some pretty vile stuff on Facebook tonight about the funeral of Cilla Black, and he posted what I thought was a good response. Shared here [b]NB - language is a bit fruity!![/b]!! :

[i]"[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Some of the posts I've seen on here that are hateful in the extreme from Scousers about Cilla Black on the day of her funeral have been shocking. Who cares if she was a Tory? It's a personal choice. Most people vote for their money. You don't know how you'd feel about that until you have it. Most lottery winners f*** off to the warmer climes and never return. Would you stay on Scotty Road if you had a million quid? I doubt it. Shameful of you really to say such things when the woman is dead. Paul O' Grady, a man who I have met and respect greatly would not suffer a fool or a **** and he was her friend for twenty years. I hope you don't have such nasty things written about you when you die. Peace and love, I x"[/font][/color][/i]

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1440110062' post='2848455']
I don't recollect ever finding myself often agreeing with Ian McNabb, but there has been some pretty vile stuff on Facebook tonight about the funeral of Cilla Black, and he posted what I thought was a good response. Shared here [b]NB - language is a bit fruity!![/b]!! :

[i]"[color=#141823][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Some of the posts I've seen on here that are hateful in the extreme from Scousers about Cilla Black on the day of her funeral have been shocking. Who cares if she was a Tory? It's a personal choice. Most people vote for their money. You don't know how you'd feel about that until you have it. Most lottery winners f*** off to the warmer climes and never return. Would you stay on Scotty Road if you had a million quid? I doubt it. Shameful of you really to say such things when the woman is dead. Paul O' Grady, a man who I have met and respect greatly would not suffer a fool or a **** and he was her friend for twenty years. I hope you don't have such nasty things written about you when you die. Peace and love, I x"[/font][/color][/i]
[/quote]

Got to agree with him.
Shame that there was a need for him to post it though. There are some scuzzy gits inhabiting our planet. :angry:

I can't see how her politics or how she chose to spend her money are remotely relevant either.

She was supposed to be vile off camera though. One of my friends is an air stewardess and flew with her many times, and said she ranked as one of their most obnoxious celebrity passengers. Apparently one well-known airline considered banning her from their flights because she was so difficult. She does also seem to figure prominently in a number of those 'most unpleasant celebrity' lists too, I notice...

As an aside, Natalie Imbruglia and Kylie both ranked as the two nicest celebs she'd flown with, and apparently both were even shorter and prettier in the flesh than on the telly, and both were thoroughly nice.

I don't like gratuitous attacks on anyone - celebrity or not, dead or not - but neither can I stand all the faux reverence and fawning sycophancy that seems to be considered de rigeur whenever someone famous dies. I'll take honesty and plain speaking any day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey people.

I've not been here much lately due to starting a new job, so have only just seen some of the comments my quip inspired.

Apologies if it upset anybody, but I honestly can't see why it would have. There was no disrespect and no reference to her character, behaviour, or anything - simply a play on words/rhyme between one of her famous songs and how she died. OK you might not have found it funny (it made me chuckle), but I don't accept that it was in any way disrespectful. Nothing like the jokes about Michael Jackson, Jimmy Saville etc. that did the rounds when they died (and remember that it was some time after JS died that all the horror stories came out).

On a wider note I believe that, when it comes to humour, nothing should be sacrosanct.

Edited by Count Bassy