Why become a member? ×

Limelight/Bravewood/Fender/etc

gadgie

[color="#000000"]I’ve been thinking recently about buying another bass….[/color]
[color="#000000"]First question: When will I stop thinking about buying another bass, is it reasonable to think that this may be the case?[/color]
[color="#000000"]Okay now the important part. I have seen a lot of very nice Limelight basses going about on the BC site. Not seen much Bravewood ones, but remember that he used to make some lovely repro fender guitars.[/color]
[color="#000000"]So my question is this. How do these repro guitars compare to the ‘real thing’ By that I mean a repro Jazz against a Fender Jazz from all outlets…USA, Japan etc?[/color]
[color="#000000"]How is the playability and sound of the repro’s stack up against the original thing?[/color]
[color="#000000"]I if I spend several hundred quid on a repro then what will the sale value do in several years from now. For instance if I buy a USA Jazz for the same money that I can get a repro for, it is likely to go up in value at some point….will the repro do this?[/color]
[color="#000000"]Which would be a better repro….Limelight or Bravewood?[/color]
[color="#000000"]Which would be the better guitar…Limelight, Bravewood, or Fender?[/color]

[list=1]
[*]You will never stop thinking about buying another bass.
[*]I owned a Limelight Jazz and it looked, played and felt like the real thing, i.e. an early 60s Fender.
[*]No-one knows what the sale value of these instruments will be like in several years time. Going by the ones that have been resold on this site, the price holds up well. I don't think anyone would by a repro as an investment.
[*]Never having played a Bravewood, I can't tell you. But Limelight are excellent instruments.
[/list]

Edited by discreet

I've just ordered a Bravewood (another thread on this). The reason I went in this direction is that he is local to me, builds the guitars [i]from scratch[/i] I love the way they look, and I could be very specific in what I ordered, right down to the fine detail such as neck profile and width, weight, body contours etc.

Limelights look great and have great feedback- they are also cheaper than Bravewood, but I chose not to go this route because Limelight could not provide me with a 40mm nut width or a 7.25" radius board, as their parts are supplied to them. If you want a standard width neck and are not fussy about fretboard radius then it seems Limelight would be a great choice from what I have read online. I would certainly rather buy a Limelight over a Nash.

Fender Custom Shop- very expensive. You get the fender name, I'm not exactly sure what choices you can specify from the standard custom shop (i.e not Masterbuilt) but I have a feeling it's getting less and less.

Try a Road Worn also- I have one and they're great.

I've had both a Bravewood 1965 Precision (http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/library/Basses%20SOLD/Bravewood%20Precision%202003%20SOLD ) and a Crinson 1956 Precision (http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/library/Basses%20SOLD/Crinson%20Telebass%202007%20SOLD ).

Very different basses from very different builders, but both utterly superb. Both basses played and sounded every bit as good as the real thing.

How do I know?

Because I have a Fender 1966 Precision ( http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/library/Basses%20CURRENT/Fender%20Precision%201966%20CURRENT ) and a Fender 1957 Precision ( http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/library/Basses%20CURRENT/Fender%20Precision%201957%20CURRENT ).

Which I bought largely because I liked the copies so much ...

So, did these purchases cure GAS?

Don't be silly!

I have no hands-on experience of the Bravewoods, but I've never been keen on be relic'ing. I much prefer the look of the lightly-relic'ing Limelights, and the J I owned was a stunner.

Yes, you're more limited for options - that's why I went down the Maruszczyk route. (Incidentally, they also do relic'ing).

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1437138251' post='2823936']
I have no hands-on experience of the Bravewoods, but I've never been keen on be relic'ing. I much prefer the look of the lightly-relic'ing Limelights, and the J I owned was a stunner.

Yes, you're more limited for options - that's why I went down the Maruszczyk route. (Incidentally, they also do relic'ing).
[/quote]

Visit the bravewood site and look at the lightly reliced stuff. It's amazing. He doesn't always go to town on them!

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1437154101' post='2824110']
Visit the bravewood site and look at the lightly reliced stuff. It's amazing. He doesn't always go to town on them!
[/quote]

Oh, aye - they're much better than what I had in mind. They're a fair chunk of change more than the Limelight, but I suppose you get to spec more...

Limelight P. 1960s ish spec.

Been playing, on and off, for over 50 years and it's the best bass I've had.
Not expensive for what you get regarding sound and playability.
Not found a genuine Fender P that comes anywhere near it, vintage or modern.
GAS has been non existent since buying the Limelight last November.
Changed my rig too and I've never been happier.

Edited by Jazzneck

My limelight is superb. Fender GAS has totally gone and it kicks spots off nearly all the Fenders I've compared it to. Wouldn't hesitate getting another (a jazz!) if I ever find myself having the urge in the future. That's not looking likely though!

Don't forget about tokai... I got this jazz sound recently off ebay and it's a lovely bass. And cheap too! I've gone down the japanese fender/tokai route as the guitars are made very well, and if you get an older one, the wear is for real.

I personally hate the relicing thing, and they still feel new anyhow.

Edited by Jazzjames

[quote name='Jazzjames' timestamp='1437168090' post='2824251']
Don't forget about tokai... I got this jazz sound recently off ebay and it's a lovely bass. And cheap too! I've gone down the japanese fender/tokai route as the guitars are made very well, and if you get an older one, the wear is for real.

I personally hate the relicing thing, and they still feel new anyhow.
[/quote]

What's the '57 P at the back? Looks nice.

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1437181482' post='2824346']

What's the '57 P at the back? Looks nice.
[/quote]

It's an early 90s japanese Fender. Very very nice precision bass. Picked it up on denmark street a few years ago so didnt get it for the lowest price, but it was still a bargain!

I know they have a good rep on here but limelights relicing looks awful to me. So unrealistic and akin to that welsh guy on ebay who buys squires and attacks them with a sander. Ive never played one but purely on looks they look amateur relicing wise. That black/tort jazz on the website - looks not in the slightest bit genuine

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1437138574' post='2823943']
Great, now I've got GAS for a genuine early 60s Fender Precision Bass. Bah! :(
[/quote]

Having got Warwick out of my system and currently owning a phenomenal Dingwall Z3 and an awesome US Geddy Lee jazz I find myself drawn to P-basses...

Might be something to do with trying to learn as many Maiden tracks as I can...

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1437342900' post='2825238']
I find myself drawn to P-basses...
[/quote]

I really tried hard to leave the P Bass club, but it proved too difficult... and totally unnecessary, as it turned out. :D

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1437342900' post='2825238']
Might be something to do with trying to learn as many Maiden tracks as I can...
[/quote]

Possibly! Or any track, really - I've found that when you have a decent P-Bass in your hands, you can forget all about the bass entirely and concentrate on what it is that you're supposed to be doing without the distractions of GAS nor gear...

Hi Gadgie,

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I found it hard not to comment on this thread as I own both a Bravewood and a Limelight so will try to give some feedback on both. [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]The Bravewood is actually a Stratocaster guitar and not a bass as I have a regular weekly gig in a working soul band so it gets quite a lot of use. I also didn’t order it specially, it just appeared on the Bravewood site in early 2014 so I snapped it up as I needed a guitar fairly quickly. I think it may have been either an uncollected/cancelled order or maybe he builds a model of his own choosing during quiet times? However, how glad I am that I did buy it! It is hands down the best “stratocaster” I have ever played. [/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]As far as I can tell, it is pretty close to an original-spec early 60s strat except for the addition of a slightly flatter radius fretboard, two-way truss rod and more modern Dunlop 6105 frets. The aging looks convincing though I probably would have ordered something a little less extreme but this isn’t a deal breaker. The main thing is the [i][u]feel[/u][/i] of the guitar. From day one, it just felt “right” to me. [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Considering the equivalent model would cost £3k+ from the big F, I think it’s also very good VFM. I think a special ordered Bravewood is around the £1600 mark but I could be wrong and remember these are made from “scratch” and not generic parts as would a similar priced “Nash Guitar” be. [/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]As for the limelight, I wanted a “Jamerson-type” spec P Bass and my Black/Tort 1963 RI was for sale on the limelight site. Again, a lovely bit of kit. The finish is much thinner on the Limelight than the Bravewood and he has obviously used a different process for the “ageing”. Limelights are made from Fender-licensed parts and I think maybe some of them are made “upcycled” bodies/necks from older guitars but I cannot be sure of this. The only thing I didn’t like about the Limelight was that the bridge/saddles were too tarnished for my liking and they were difficult to adjust resulting in one or two shearing off. In the end, I replaced all of them with brass replacements at a cost of about £10 so not a problem at all! I think the limelight is potentially my favourite bass – at least when I eventually find the “right” flatwound strings for my liking! [b]As a side note:[/b] I’m thinking of trying La Bella Deep Talkin’ Flats next so any advice on these from anyone reading would be much appreciated![/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Pound for pound, the Bravewood I think has the edge on quality/build etc but then it is twice the price of the Limelight. Both are fantastic instruments and IMHO both are worth the cost so it’s down to how much you want to pay! [/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I have no intention of selling either! In regards to re-sale value: I can imagine that, to the right people (i.e. those “in the know” on forums such as this or “The Fretboard” etc ) both Bravewood and Limleight will have good re-sale value but on the street or EvilBay, gumtree etc, most regular punters will simply see these as “Fakes” and want the “Real Thing”. But then, we all “[b]know[/b]”…….don’t we? [/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Cheers,[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Steve [/color][/size][/font]

If you're after the Jamerson sound, then it's hard to beat the LaBella FLs. Feel is obviously a very personal thing, but I love the feel of the LaBellas too.

The main drawback is that they are so damned expensive.

A very reasonable substitute (at a much more reasonable price) is the strings that Lakland used to market as 'Jo Osborne' flats. Lakland still make the strings, but I can't remember offhand what they're now called.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1437384049' post='2825392']
If you're after the Jamerson sound, then it's hard to beat the LaBella FLs. Feel is obviously a very personal thing, but I love the feel of the LaBellas too.

The main drawback is that they are so damned expensive.

A very reasonable substitute (at a much more reasonable price) is the strings that Lakland used to market as 'Jo Osborne' flats. Lakland still make the strings, but I can't remember offhand what they're now called.
[/quote]

Agreed re. La Bellas, and I believe the Lakland strings are simply GHS Precision Flats in a different packet.

[quote name='steviebee74' timestamp='1437383740' post='2825388']
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]I’m thinking of trying La Bella Deep Talkin’ Flats next so any advice on these from anyone reading would be much appreciated![/color][/font][/size]
[/quote]
[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1437384049' post='2825392']
I love the feel of the LaBellas...
[/quote]

I love the feel of La Bellas too, but also the 'tension' or 'compliance' or whatever you want to call it, is perfect (for me). I've been using La Bellas for years and in my opinion are the best flats out there. They are fitted to two of my three basses. Yes, they are expensive but for all practical purposes will last for years. To a lesser extent I also like the sound and feel of Fender 9050ML, which are much more affordable if that's an issue.

TI Flats also see a lot of love on this forum. By the way, it was playing La Bellas on one of Happy Jack's basses a few years ago that turned me onto them. I immediately knew I'd have to buy a set. Thanks for that, Jack... :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='steviebee74' timestamp='1437383740' post='2825388']
Hi Gadgie,

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I found it hard not to comment on this thread as I own both a Bravewood and a Limelight so will try to give some feedback on both. [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]The Bravewood is actually a Stratocaster guitar and not a bass as I have a regular weekly gig in a working soul band so it gets quite a lot of use. I also didn’t order it specially, it just appeared on the Bravewood site in early 2014 so I snapped it up as I needed a guitar fairly quickly. I think it may have been either an uncollected/cancelled order or maybe he builds a model of his own choosing during quiet times? However, how glad I am that I did buy it! It is hands down the best “stratocaster” I have ever played. [/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]As far as I can tell, it is pretty close to an original-spec early 60s strat except for the addition of a slightly flatter radius fretboard, two-way truss rod and more modern Dunlop 6105 frets. The aging looks convincing though I probably would have ordered something a little less extreme but this isn’t a deal breaker. The main thing is the [i][u]feel[/u][/i] of the guitar. From day one, it just felt “right” to me. [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Considering the equivalent model would cost £3k+ from the big F, I think it’s also very good VFM. I think a special ordered Bravewood is around the £1600 mark but I could be wrong and remember these are made from “scratch” and not generic parts as would a similar priced “Nash Guitar” be. [/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]As for the limelight, I wanted a “Jamerson-type” spec P Bass and my Black/Tort 1963 RI was for sale on the limelight site. Again, a lovely bit of kit. The finish is much thinner on the Limelight than the Bravewood and he has obviously used a different process for the “ageing”. Limelights are made from Fender-licensed parts and I think maybe some of them are made “upcycled” bodies/necks from older guitars but I cannot be sure of this. The only thing I didn’t like about the Limelight was that the bridge/saddles were too tarnished for my liking and they were difficult to adjust resulting in one or two shearing off. In the end, I replaced all of them with brass replacements at a cost of about £10 so not a problem at all! I think the limelight is potentially my favourite bass – at least when I eventually find the “right” flatwound strings for my liking! [b]As a side note:[/b] I’m thinking of trying La Bella Deep Talkin’ Flats next so any advice on these from anyone reading would be much appreciated![/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Pound for pound, the Bravewood I think has the edge on quality/build etc but then it is twice the price of the Limelight. Both are fantastic instruments and IMHO both are worth the cost so it’s down to how much you want to pay! [/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]I have no intention of selling either! In regards to re-sale value: I can imagine that, to the right people (i.e. those “in the know” on forums such as this or “The Fretboard” etc ) both Bravewood and Limleight will have good re-sale value but on the street or EvilBay, gumtree etc, most regular punters will simply see these as “Fakes” and want the “Real Thing”. But then, we all “[b]know[/b]”…….don’t we? [/color][/size][/font]

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Cheers,[/color][/size][/font]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Steve [/color][/size][/font]
[/quote]

Good to know but seriously- pics!