Why become a member? ×

PJ pickups, what's the crack?

chrisanthony1211

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1436369205' post='2817594']
... how many people would really notice aside from any other bassists in the room.
[/quote]

How are we going to justify our GAS if you start saying sensible things like that?

I like PJ basses. Having them both on full adds a nice mid scoop effect, but I put the J pickup quite low down so that it's a more subtle addition to the tone, just adding a little bit of sharpness. Works very well with overdrive! I find if the pickup is too close to the strings it's too harsh and nasal.

What I really mean is that I can't hide my sloppy technique as easily ;)

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1436468609' post='2818453']
How are we going to justify our GAS if you start saying sensible things like that?
[/quote]

By thinking that it`s our job to enlighten them with all those new goodies of course :D

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1436359213' post='2817450']
If you must add a bridge pickup to a Precision, I recommend a big fat MM-style humbucker.
[/quote]

This. Much more versatile and looks better.

I added a J to my VM Squier P bass last year. I had always played jazzes but a few years ago got serious unexplained GAS for a Precision, so I plumped for the Squier. Once I had replaced the rather rubbish Duncan Designed pickup (very low output from the G string) with a Tonerider, I really enjoyed that classic low end you get from a p-bass. But not long after that I realised I was missing that "bite" you get from a jazz pickup at the bridge, so I got a local tech to route a hole for one, but 5mm closer to the bridge than on a standard jazz bass and added a Tonerider jazz pickup. This, combined with a custom stack-knob wiring kit from KiOgon has given me the best of both worlds - I can have that thunder from the P pup, plus the crack of lightning from the J pup, all at once or on their own or however I want it really. 😊

Edited by Grassie

Re. Craic - I was born and raised in Northern Ireland, and it was always 'Crack'. If was only after coming to England in the 90s that I started seeing it spelled as 'craic'
So it either changed around the 90s, or the English spell it differently (NE being an exception it seems)
My feeling is that Guinness popularised 'craic' in their heavy marketing, and it crept onto common usage 😊

Re. PJ basses - Just got my first - looking forward to having a proper play.

Had a US precision deluxe with the regular P pickups and a sort of double jazz humbucking stingray-ish pu at the bridge. With all the various EQ options (bass, mid and treble boosts) it did all manner of tones, bit of a beast. If it had an active/passive switch I might have kept it but my particular model (around 2003 manufacture) was active only and by then I had a passive jazz and a passive precision so it wasn't getting played and I moved it on, the next owner was well chuffed with it.

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1436728699' post='2820312']
I added a J to my VM Squier P bass last year. I had always played jazzes but a few years ago got serious unexplained GAS for a Precision, so I plumped for the Squier. Once I had replaced the rather rubbish Duncan Designed pickup (very low output from the G string) with a Tonerider, I really enjoyed that classic low end you get from a p-bass. But not long after that I realised I was missing that "bite" you get from a jazz pickup at the bridge, so I got a local tech to route a hole for one, but 5mm closer to the bridge than on a standard jazz bass and added a Tonerider jazz pickup. This, combined with a custom stack-knob wiring kit from KiOgon has given me the best of both worlds - I can have that thunder from the P pup, plus the crack of lightning from the J pup, all at once or on their own or however I want it really.
[/quote]

I'm late to the party as usual. I want to do this to my MIM P.

Could you PM me the details and the costs.

Nice to hear that I can put some work KiOgon's way and have the kit I want.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1436925676' post='2822132']

I'm late to the party as usual. I want to do this to my MIM P.

Could you PM me the details and the costs.

Nice to hear that I can put some work KiOgon's way and have the kit I want.
[/quote]PM'd 😊

I've had P's J's, PJ's, PH's and HH's.

The P isn't for me because i never use the neck pickup soloed, it always lacks a bit of bite and definition from a bridge pickup. But i prefer the P sound to a J sound on the neck pickup, it's bigger, smoother.

So for me a PJ (or PH) is a must have but i like to have a split-coil J on the bridge to act as humbucker. A P with a single coil J on the bridge tends to get a bit noisy in some venues and sounds unbalanced (to my ears) in terms of output, maybe it's just my mind playing tricks on me...

BTW, i don't play with a pick and my music preferences/bands are around funk/r&b/hip hop/soul, not many rock themes, the bridge pickup has to be there! ;)

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1436358981' post='2817445']
I must be the only one who loves the sound of both pickups on full on a PJ bass! Fat, crisp, best of both worlds!
[/quote]

When I owned a BB414, I almost always had both pickups on full