Why become a member? ×

string gauge for e flat tuning?

bassbiscuits

hi all

got to dep for a band next month which uses e flat tuning, down a half step from concert pitch.

I use 40-100 strings, which are a bit too floppy when tuned down.

I know for guitar, roughly one half step down = one string gauge up, but they come in such small increments (0.10, 0.11 etc)

For bass, is it roughly the same - i.e. moving straight on to 45-105, or even heavier?

I don't really want to alter my action or set up too much as they're beautifully set up for concert pitch.

any thoughts?

cool.

yeah i sometimes tune down to D for a couple of tunes on my 40-100 set and its not the greatest fat low D on earth by any means! Hopefully the string tension of some 45-105 tuned to E flat should be about the same as the regular 40-100 at A440.

I was once in a band that insisted on Eb tuning (dodgy singer) and found 45-105's were fine, still playable. Probably would have handled a whole tone down but we didn't go that far. Used to do 'Slither' in another band in drop-D and the 105 gauge was just about OK for that (on a jazz).

If it's a short term dep I'd stay with the strings you've got :)

I play in E flat all the time with 45-105. I have always used that gauge even in concert pitch

Edit: Bear in mind you might need to fettle the nut if your current strings are a snug fit :)

Edited by Norris

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1435090916' post='2805437']
Cheers Norris

Yeah your T Bird and Rick both felt comfortable to play with 45-105s from what I recall. I hadn't thought about the nut issue either.

Bugger. Nothing's simple is it!
[/quote]

Given that 45 is pretty much standard, then if your nut is original (and thus also standard) then I wouldn't expect a problem.

thats true Ras.

Its only in recent years i've settled on 40-100, and i've had that bass for over 20 years, so it'll probably be fine. I'll get some 45-105s and I'm sure I can use them for something - playing with uber floppy tuned down strings just sounds and feels a bit crap

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1435090916' post='2805437']
I hadn't thought about the nut issue either.
[/quote]

I mentioned it because I had to fettle the nut on my Ric when I first strung it with my "standard" gauges (and then had to glue it back on when I was over-vigorous in my fettling!) :)

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1435144651' post='2805871']
I mentioned it because I had to fettle the nut on my Ric when I first strung it with my "standard" gauges (and then had to glue it back on when I was over-vigorous in my fettling!) :)
[/quote]

That's why I sold my Rickenbacker :ph34r:

As a footnote to this, I did bite the bullet and strung up my old precision with 45-105 last night and it sounds lovely.
No probs with the nut, and the intonation etc seems to be unaffected.

I didn't particularly choose to play lighter gauge strings in the first place - I didn't even realise strings even came in different gauges when i started out, and just ended up using whatever gauge there was.

45-105 seem more versatile if they can handle various tunings a bit better than the 40s...

i could learn to love them....