Why become a member? ×

Have I bitten off more that I can chew?

phil_the_bassist

Ok, I've just got a call from our singer asking if I was free to gig saturday...but without our tub thumper.

I've ok'd it, as it means that I'll have control of the tempo (so Must Hang Sally doesn't hit 150bpm like it usually does when our drummer's had a few!) but I've just been thinking thru the songs and we take a LOT of queues from our drummer, which I'll have to do *somehow*...have I dropped myself in it?

I was planning on giving a pep talk along the lines of "Don't get pissed til after the gig, and PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT EVERYONES DOING!!!!" pre-gig, and shout the drum breaks in a "Bam Da Bapa bam bam!" type way.

Will this work? Will I be able to do it? Will I be lynched? :)

oh, and if anyone wants to come to point, laugh, or help out it'll be in the Snooty Fox, Newbury, Berkshire on sat night from about 8-1.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='271086' date='Aug 27 2008, 03:28 PM']Are you going to have a drum machine or sequencer instead? Wont the songs sound weird without drums?[/quote]

No we won't and yes they will! :huh:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='271088' date='Aug 27 2008, 03:30 PM']When you say 'weird' you do mean better don't you :huh:[/quote]

I hope so :)

I was thinking, cos of the lower acoustic volume we'll need to overcome, we can be a lot quieter and thus will be able to hear each other so I could probably be able to rein 'em all in and sling the yoke of superior timekeeping across their sholders! :huh:

Edited by phil_the_bassist

[quote name='cheddatom' post='271093' date='Aug 27 2008, 03:39 PM']Yeh I have done acoustic sets of re-arranged electric songs before, but I wouldn't try to just play an electric set as usual without a drummer. Program a laptop or arrange your songs for an acoustic style IMHO.[/quote]

Agreed.

It'll work - just get the guitarists to play electro-acoustic (or with smaller amps) and sit down while you gig so it looks a bit different and "acoustic".

We've done it a couple of times and had a good laugh with it. You can prob do most of the stuff on your set - let the guitarist and singer take the lead. A quick run through beforehand will help too but it should be ok. Don't try and do it fast paced like you would if you had the full band there - make it look more relaxed and have fun with it and the punters will get the idea. Tell them you're unplugged for the night because the drummer's got an ASBO curfew. :)

Edited by stingrayfan

I was hoping you wouldn't say that! lol!

We'll probably have to go with the lighter songs, but the only drum machine type thing I've got is a zoom (IIRC) BP50 that I found yesterday...but it does nothing more than basic drum loops.

I suppose that as long as we all sit down and play quietly you can do an acoustic (read: quite) version of Slither and Sweet Child and PurpHaze et al...right :)

*edit* SRFan, you read my mind and posted as i was typing!

I'm usually pretty purcussive Ste_m3, with muted slap&pop over kick and snare when it's suitable, so that's a good plan too!

and Sarah, I'm trying to rinse the sarcasm outta your post and turning it into positive gesture of goodwill...hope you don't mind! :huh:

Edited by phil_the_bassist

Unless you've spent a while working on special 'no drums' arrangements I'd be very hesitant about playing the gig.

You'll probably be better off finding a good dep for the night, if they are all covers it shouldn't be much of a problem for a drummer, especially if you can squeeze in a rehersal first.

I see you're near me in Newbury, if you want some numbers for drum deps. drop me a PM.

I've done gigs without a kit (and most definitely without a drum machine) on plenty of occasions before in a number of bands.

As has already been mentioned, think more like a drummer.

Slow the tunes down, chunk 'em up a bit. If they're too fast they'll turn into a blurry mess.

If you do it right, you'll be amazed how quickly the audience forget there's no drummer.

I do quite a lot of (jazz) gigs without drums. I don't particularly enjoy it because on bass you have to be a lot tighter with the rhythm than pulse along with the ride cymbal. I have to do this mainly for economic reasons and I just get on with it. If you've got a good rhythm guitarist you should be OK. Take the overall volume right down and do a sort of unplugged set. You'll enjoy it and you may make a few musical discoveries on the way. But do it, and good luck.

Psst... don't tell my drummer but I often prefer playing without drums. On a good day, the kit adds a lot to the mix but it also tends to push up the volume. Drums certainly aren't essential to get some fantastic rhythm stuff going.

However, it would help if you could find a bit of time to rehearse beforehand; the downside of not having your regular tub-thumper will be that all the parts you have doubtless carefully crafted to fit together as a whole ensemble will now sound a bit empty. Nothing that can't be overcome but it might be as well to reassure yourselves of that before appearing before an audience.

Wulf

We did a gig on Sunday with no drummer.

I found practising the songs on my own with no backing track at all was good. At rehearsal I found there were bits in songs that I was relying on drums, either as cues or parts where I was playing around the drums, obviously those are the bits that needed a bit of rework.

It also helped listening to demos with no drums on. But then, these are newish original songs which I don't know quite as well as should!

On the plus side I really enjoyed it and will definitely do it again. Much less hassle doing a gig without a drummer :)

Edited by bigjohn

I did a fetsival gig once without a drummer.
Using an unlined fretless Stingray 5.
Hardest gig I've ever done.

I dictated the pace (I [i]was[/i] the rhythm section, after all!)
I also "telegraphed" the changes to the guitarists as best I could.
I had cramp in my feet from time-keeping, and I don't think I looked up much, but we survived.
It can be done.
But a drummer is better...

We used to regularly take bookings for an acoustic version of our U2 tribute show,

smaller venues, or those with a tight budget used to love it !!

Had a Thursday night residency at Durham County Cricket Club doing the set without drums !!

Bit boring like if i'm honest !!!

[quote name='Marcus' post='271285' date='Aug 27 2008, 08:04 PM']We used to regularly take bookings for an acoustic version of our U2 tribute show,

smaller venues, or those with a tight budget used to love it !!

Had a Thursday night residency at Durham County Cricket Club doing the set without drums !!

Bit boring like if i'm honest !!![/quote]

How can you do U2 without a delay pedal?