Why become a member? ×

Rider for Recording Studio mission

urbanx

[quote name='4-string-thing' timestamp='1434016995' post='2795906']
Leave the alcohol til after the sessions are finished. I once read that a well known producer (I've forgotten who) used to have a sign on the studio wall that read "Boring people make boring records, and there is nothing more boring than someone who's drunk" And as someone who used to run a small demo studio, there is nothing worse than watching people waste time and money sitting around drinking when they should be working! Well, except bands who clearly haven't worked on the songs enough, arrangements etc (which I'm sure you have)
[/quote]

I'm glad to say I've never been in such a situation myself, but I do remember one recording engineer telling me a horror story about a band sent to him from Galway (if memory serves) by a reasonably large label, who had decided that these four young lads were [i]the[/i] canine male reproductive organs, and threw a large amount of money at sending them to his studio for five or six days to record two or three songs.

Being treated like rock stars had obviously gone to their heads: they arrived late (of course) and within a couple of hours were huffing so much Columbian marching powder they quite literally couldn't play. Anyone who's ever tried to have a conversation with people who are coked off their heads will know what a colossal pain in the arse they can be to even talk to, let alone to organise into something requiring so much skill and coordination as playing in a group.

Three or four days into the session, a label rep dropped in to see how things were coming along, and listen to the work-in-progress. The band had just about finished the drum parts. It was quite obvious that they'd be lucky to even have one song completed. As he realised he'd basically sunk a huge amount of the label's money into a complete turkey, the rep's hair allegedly turned whiter than the band's nostrils.

Doesn't even answer your question, I realise, but I thought it would make for an entertaining story. Good luck with the session, and all the best to your missus and the new arrival!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1434019508' post='2795946']
Take TWO bottles into the studio?? Not me - I just record and go!
[/quote]

That comment stands head and shoulders above some of the others on this thread...

[size=2]Edit: apparently it's normal to have more than one shoulder.[/size]

Edited by ras52

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1434019620' post='2795948']
Don't put more effort into photographing the event than the event itself!
[/quote]

I'm going to get this printed on a tee shirt...

So much of so many peoples lives are based around taking photos of stuff they are doing to put on facebook to show to people who don't care...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1434019620' post='2795948']
Don't put more effort into photographing the event than the event itself!
[/quote]

Lol, true! Although I was hoping that the documenting would fill some of my 'down time'

A lot of emphasis on fruit and bog roll! :P

[quote name='urbanx' timestamp='1434021749' post='2795987']
Lol, true! Although I was hoping that the documenting would fill some of my 'down time'

A lot of emphasis on fruit and bog roll! :P
[/quote]

bog roll definate.
i wouldn't bother taking your camera, just use your phone given the space you are in it will more than do the job and just saves less space and faffing around :)

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1434024035' post='2796020']
bog roll definate.
i wouldn't bother taking your camera, just use your phone given the space you are in it will more than do the job and just saves less space and faffing around :)
[/quote]

Gasp! Be gone with ye! That's my stripped down camera bag! Besides the studio is in a rough area, there's bound to be something derelict local! :P

[quote name='urbanx' timestamp='1434025860' post='2796050']
Gasp! Be gone with ye! That's my stripped down camera bag! Besides the studio is in a rough area, there's bound to be something derelict local! :P
[/quote]
yes but you are meant to be recording bass lines and advising others on how to best perform their parts... not climbing the roof of said studio in the buff with a camera..

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1434095992' post='2796554']
Get your Mr drums to tune his kit properly the day before. That can save a bit of time and frustration if it has to be done in the session.
[/quote]

That's not in the spirit of things at all, that's far too sensible... Everyong knows the pattern of a five day recording session is 3 days of setting up drums, a day and a half of guitar overdubs then vocals, bass and everything else in the last couple of hours.

Edited by CamdenRob