Why become a member? ×

MM Sterling and Stingray

thepurpleblob

I've owned a Stingray for a couple of years and am really impressed with it - spoiled in fact. However, I keep noticing the Sterling bass. Apart from the obvious difference in the controls what's the difference between these two basses? I've never had the chance to try a Sterling unfortunately.

Edited by thepurpleblob

Been down this road meself.

Had a 1990 MM Ray, sold it and bought a Sterling last year. Really liked the Sterling neck but somehow didn't like the smaller body as much or messing about with the controls. Sold it after about 6 months and bought another Ray.

Your mileage my vary....

stingray = MAN

sterling = GIRL :)

thats my take on it anways :huh:

the sterling has a thinner neck and smaller body, neither of which appeal to me. i think its mostly cosmetic the differences though other than the sterling having the selecter switch that you probably wouldnt use anyways. i dont like the pickguard on the sterling either, just looks like a stingray one has been left next to a radiator...

[quote name='BassManKev' post='269787' date='Aug 25 2008, 09:33 PM']stingray = MAN

sterling = GIRL :huh:

thats my take on it anways :huh:

the sterling has a thinner neck and smaller body, neither of which appeal to me. i think its mostly cosmetic the differences though other than the sterling having the selecter switch that you probably wouldnt use anyways. i dont like the pickguard on the sterling either, just looks like a stingray one has been left next to a radiator...[/quote]

:) is that why you tried to get my white sparkle Sterling off me back in May?

I've owned both and both are great basses. I'd say the Sterling is the better bass for me because of the neck profile and switching (single coil mode is a useful addition imo) but I'd be just as happy owning a Stingray

I did hear something about stingrays having ceramic magnets in the pickups and sterlings have alnico,!! i have a sterling and i love it the necks really comfy and i like the small body coz im only wee myself ;)and im also a shandy drinking weirdo
:) so manly stingrays arnt for me, played an old stingray a while back and loved the sound but the weight and neck was a bit much(especially for 5 sets a night 7 days a week :huh: . the neck diffrence is akin to a jazz verus a precision.
soundwise the same although the sterling has the series/paralell/ single coil swithching i personall y dont like the other sounds but the main stingray sound is all you need, mind you tried a double pickup stingray 5 absolutely amazing well worth a try.
take care- LEE

is that why you tried to get my white sparkle Sterling off me back in May? I've owned both and both are great basses. I'd say the Sterling is the better bass for me because of the neck profile and switching (single coil mode is a useful addition imo) but I'd be just as happy owning a Stingray

Cheers, might have been the other way round so your prob right, mine actually has alnico coz its a nordstrand pickup, which is a bit fatter than the original which supports what your saying about the magnets as id imagine ceramic is a more modern tone:D the bongos have neo magnets would love to try one even though they look like toilet seats.

Sterlings have always had ceramic magnets AFAIK
[/quote]

I've owned 2 Sterlings and 1 Ray and I have to confess I'd have a Sterling over a Ray any day!

The Ray has a midge's kn*cker more ooomph when standard (I owned Lee's Nordstrand pup equipped Sterling and that has all of the balls of a ray) but the downsized body, S/P switching and gorgeous neck make the Sterling a better bass IMHO :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='269794' date='Aug 25 2008, 09:39 PM']So what does that make the Bongo then?[/quote]
a toilet :huh: id really love to try one

@dub_junkie: i hadn't played a sterling before then, and i have since :)

Actually it was your original thread i remember, i just got it the wrong way round DOH!!!!!, thanks for the info very interesting especially about the stingray 5, s.

Sterlings have ceramic pickups with a dummy coil for noiseless coil tapping. Stingrays have alnico.

Stingray 5s originally had alnico, until the Sterling was brought out in 1993 (?) when they adopted the Sterling style pickup (albeit stretched). With the introduction of the Sterling 5, the Stingray 5 has reverted to alnico (IIRC).

+1 John that sterling isnt short of Cahones!!! and the neck is fantastic, many thanks for putting it my way very happy with it ( when nearly having to sell a bass recently i chose to sell my warwick 5 over this, luckily i didnt have to sell either :) ) both fantstic instruments and all things to all men/women between them.
Lee

I've owned 2 Sterlings and 1 Ray and I have to confess I'd have a Sterling over a Ray any day!

The Ray has a midge's kn*cker more ooomph when standard (I owned Lee's Nordstrand pup equipped Sterling and that has all of the balls of a ray) but the downsized body, S/P switching and gorgeous neck make the Sterling a better bass IMHO :huh:

nah, he had a teal stain one i think, still does, now fitted with a status neck and a nordstrad, mine is a blue dawn sparkly finish with a status neck n stock pickup :)

Edited by BassManKev

For what it's worth, I've just acquired an old 'Ray and the thing that does it for me is the fat neck - it feels so much easier to give it some welly than the Geddy Lee's. That and there's something 'organic' (listen to me, what a hippy) about playing a large, heavy slab of wood. I don't seem to need to use me pedals (compression & tuner excepted) or eq the amp anymore either. Wish I'd known this a few years ago.

[quote name='dlloyd']Did that belong to OBBM at one point? (It's pretty distinctive, and looks like one he once had)
If so, it's had all sorts of pickups in it.[/quote]

[quote name='BassManKev']nah, he had a teal stain one i think, still does, now fitted with a status neck and a nordstrad,[/quote]

Both wrong. I still have it and it's Pacific Blue Burst.

When bought it had been fitted with a Bartolini and a Aguiller OBP3. Didn't like the sound of the Bart so I tried an SD which was too aggresive, then I got the Nordstrand. After 4 years I finally located an original SR5 ceramic and original pre-amp but didn't like the sound so the Nordy went back in again which is how it is now.

Status neck was fitted late 2004 and has done hundreds of gigs. Punchy, loads of sustain, always stays in tune and is a joy to play.

[quote name='obbm' post='270010' date='Aug 26 2008, 09:13 AM']Both wrong. I still have it and it's Pacific Blue Burst.

When bought it had been fitted with a Bartolini and a Aguiller OBP3. Didn't like the sound of the Bart so I tried an SD which was too aggresive, then I got the Nordstrand. After 4 years I finally located an original SR5 ceramic and original pre-amp but didn't like the sound so the Nordy went back in again which is how it is now.

Status neck was fitted late 2004 and has done hundreds of gigs. Punchy, loads of sustain, always stays in tune and is a joy to play.[/quote]

Sorry if this is going slightly off topic but a question for OBBM if I may! The OBP3... it is 3 band but do you know if it can be installed into a bass as a 2 band and the wires that are meant to go to the mid pot just be blanked off and left internal (I'm a simple guy and less is more for me)?

ah yes pacific blue burst

corrrect me if im wrong, but i think this pic is obbm's and mine:

OBBM's:

Mine:

[attachment=12654:DSC00382.JPG]

they are very similar really, i 'think' obbm's is transparent, whereas mine is obviously the solid sparkle finish. they look very different in real life next to each other

[quote name='johnnylager' post='270001' date='Aug 26 2008, 09:01 AM']For what it's worth, I've just acquired an old 'Ray and the thing that does it for me is the fat neck - it feels so much easier to give it some welly than the Geddy Lee's. That and there's something 'organic' (listen to me, what a hippy) about playing a large, heavy slab of wood. I don't seem to need to use me pedals (compression & tuner excepted) or eq the amp anymore either. Wish I'd known this a few years ago.[/quote]

Yeh - since I got mine I'm screwed. Absolutely nothing else seems to cut through like the Stingray. It doesn't seem to matter much what you do with the settings either !!