Why become a member? ×

Cool acrylic bass

JJW

Never seen one this colour and quite cheap, they are normally clear or putple from what I've seen.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575090229&toolid=10001&campid=5337531593&customid=&icep_item=111676741883&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg

Sorry. I have a huge price of perspex and some Christmas lights...

I'm sure there are some very good perspex basses out there but I'm sorry I just can see it. A friend had a lime green les Paul guitar made of the same stuff and he put it down a little fast on the strap lock and boom. Strait up the middle.

Maybe I should make it my task to find a cool clear bass...

Maybe not!

I like the idea but they don't often look all that good. Even liberal use of LEDs doesn't seem to help, and I believe that [i]everything[/i] can be improved with the addition of pretty lights.

Back in the 80s I really wanted a BC Rich Warlock with a clear body with a crackle design sandwiched in it.

Kirk Hammett has a Telecaster in clear acrylic that is hollow and has a blue liquid in it, which is quite cool but I have thought of something better...

(It's a living Ant farm)

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1432754555' post='2784702']
wjs guitars up here in Scotland have this prototype for sale just now.

[attachment=192960:Layer Bass.jpg]

The Layer Bass. Not quite sure what to make of it but as it's a proto anything could change.
[/quote]

That's a very interesting concept, is it layers of perspex for the body? If anyone decides they're going to build one like that, please tell me and I'll subscribe to the build thread.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1432754555' post='2784702']
wjs guitars up here in Scotland have this prototype for sale just now.

[attachment=192960:Layer Bass.jpg]

The Layer Bass. Not quite sure what to make of it but as it's a proto anything could change.
[/quote]

Saw this on one of the local muso FB groups - they've previously done layer-body Strats like this.

Guess you can tell it was designed by a guitarist... :D

J.

[quote name='Coldflows' timestamp='1432766298' post='2784883']
I have a block of old perspex, it would cut in three and bolt together like that. anyone have a spare headless style neck and bridge? I could have sworn I saw one for sale...
[/quote]

Kiwi was selling a Moses graphite headless 4 neck or two.

You could buy a headless bass kit from Ireland off That Ebay - £120, includes hardware. Or if you wanted to go to Gravesend to pick it up, someone's flogging one already made up for £50 start.

Edited by tauzero

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1432995413' post='2786893']
You could buy a headless bass kit from Ireland off That Ebay - £120, includes hardware. Or if you wanted to go to Gravesend to pick it up, someone's flogging one already made up for £50 start.
[/quote]

I'm not traveling but the kit sounds intriguing. Its on eBay?

[quote name='Coldflows' timestamp='1433003739' post='2786991']
I'm not traveling but the kit sounds intriguing. Its on eBay?
[/quote]

Definitely seen one. (Wooden body, not perspex.)

Link:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Guitar-DIY-Kit-Project-Headless-4-String-GK-SHB-20-Build-Make-Luthier-New-/390967297683?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_205&hash=item5b07778693

Edited by alyctes

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1433028894' post='2787268']

Link:
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Guitar-DIY-Kit-Project-Headless-4-String-GK-SHB-20-Build-Make-Luthier-New-/390967297683?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_205&hash=item5b07778693"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5b07778693[/url]
[/quote]

That's really interesting - I've fancied building a custom headless for ages & that would potentially provide a lot of the components at a good price, presuming they're not total junk.

However there's something fairly important that seems to be missing in the pics of this kit, if I'm right. Clue - it's not the headstock...

J.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1433092055' post='2787750']
@Bassassasin - I've looked carefully, and I can't see what is missing. Unless it's a control cavity cover. What is it? And why are there two neck plates?
[/quote]

What's missing is an actual bridge. The pics show a tuner/tailpiece assembly which clearly has a section where a separate bridge unit should fit:

I think it's likely that this is just a mistake with the pics, but I'd certainly want to see it properly if I was buying one.

J.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1433028894' post='2787268']

Link:
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Guitar-DIY-Kit-Project-Headless-4-String-GK-SHB-20-Build-Make-Luthier-New-/390967297683?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_205&hash=item5b07778693"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5b07778693[/url]
[/quote]

I plead guilty to not paying any attention to the pic... :D

edit Ignore post never saw last sentence below photo. Sorry.

Bassassin

The tuner/tail piece unit photo is upside down. If you look at the body there is a step in the bridge rout,flip the tail piece
and no doubt there'll be saddles on top.

Edited by kodiakblair