Why become a member? ×

NBD: Fender Precision

Grangur

Hi all,
I picked this up on Gumtree. I actually was more interested in an Ibanez BTB 6 string he was selling for £199. That was gone, but he asked if I wanted a Fender P.

Coincidentally I'd been looking for a P for a while. I've got a spare set of SD Quarter-pounders sitting about and it would be good to put them to some use.. Yeah, I know it's an odd way around, but that's how it goes. Anyway, the long-suffering Mrs G and I hit the road to go and take a look at this bass. I'd already talked him down to £275 and it was looking good.

We got there with a Roland Cube in hand and tried it out. The strings were a mis-matched set. Some with rust and as dead a those used by James Jamerson, but to my ears the sound was cool, even through the treble of the Cube. It came with a spare long lead and a Gator case.. all looking good.

I don't know much about Fenders I know this is a MIM Standard P. It also has a curious stud on the headstock that looks like it's from the year of Fender's 60th anniversary. But I guess others here will know more about that.

It also has a silver Fender logo on the front.

As you'll see I've fitted new strings; a set of Elixir Heavys, bought in error, but I'm surprisingly happy with them. And in the better light at home I found the pickgard doesn't have the remains of stickers on it, as I'd thought. It's actually where the original plastic is still in place. This is good, because this tells me it has nickel silver frets, now polished up to shine....

... and shielded electrics. I need to find a Fender knob for the volume and it has one scratch near the tone control, across the PG and slightly onto the body. That's the only real "ding" I can find. Lake Placid Blue would have been an improvement IMHO, but I'm well pleased with the new addition to the stable.

So it's been a good weekend. If anyone can tell me anymore about it I'm interested to learn.

Oh, and the SD Q-pounders are STILL looking for a new home! I really don't see any point in changing the already great sound.

I've never seen that stud before but the serial number says it's from '06 so you're right about the anniversary.

I don't really have much to add but I have an '05 and an '08 MIM P and they're really great basses. Both built really solidly, sound great (both fitted with QPs) and have never let me down.

Hope you enjoy it!

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1431330496' post='2769935']
Nice one Rich.
Good price too, especially given that you got a case and lead with it.

Seeing that the p/g is damaged, you can take the opportunity to fit a 3 ply black one :happy:
[/quote]
On the PG the scratch pretty much only cuts through the plastic cover. I may change it though. For some reason it's always good to do something to personalise the bass. WD Music do some nice ones [url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/precision-bass-mexican-standard----black-abalone-1718-p.asp"]http://www.wdmusic.c...lone-1718-p.asp[/url]

But £56 each!?
Having only bought one in the past; from Ebay for a Squier, some of the ones for Fenders seem amazing high prices for what they are. Am I a cheap-skate?
(Don't answer that)

Is there so much difference between a £50 PG and this?: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/191149735203?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0"]http://www.ebay.co.u...ff14=108&ff19=0[/url]

Edited by Grangur

Those £13 pickguards are OK if you don't get tort (which aren't that bad in themselves anyway). Whatever you do don't get a black pearl though, that would look well tacky! And tort is actually illegal on black, as everyone knows. Parchment or cream is the way forward!

Nice bass btw, and a bargain too by the look of it. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1431334280' post='2769994']
Those £13 pickguards are OK if you don't get tort (which aren't that bad in themselves anyway). Whatever you do don't get a black pearl though, that would look well tacky! And tort is actually illegal on black, as everyone knows. Parchment or cream is the way forward!

[/quote] Many thanks. I'm truly made up to get the insight from a real style Guru. There was me thinking of going for Black Perl!

Cream for the bass you say? Hmmm... I'm sure I've got an old tin of Magnolia somewhere here.....

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1431334280' post='2769994']

[/quote]

You forgot to mention a mirror pickguard 😯

That's a good deal that there. The little stud was on all instruments of that year. Many people try to sell them on eBay as 60th anniversary editions when they're not (those are completely different animals). Fender did the same in 1996 too, with a different little sticker on the headstock.