Why become a member? ×

Cabs for Metal

robocorpse

Hi
I'm currently using an SVT3 head into a 410HE.
I'll be gigging with a bigger band on bigger stages later in the year, and I'm considering a second cab.
Would I be better off with a second 4x10, or a 1x15?
8x10 aint an option, I don't have the transport.
I need thump and zing, and I use overdrive. Any thoughts?

Edited by robocorpse

Do you really need one? Your current rig seems like it'd be plenty loud enough for stage monitoring on an average size stage & everything will be going through the PA in bigger venues/on bigger stages so you don't need it to fill a room...

I'd just send more bass through the monitors if you're struggling, save yourself the space in the van & the effort of moving the extra cab. If you really want the extra cab for looks/the general awesomeness of having a full stack thundering away behind you then another 4x10 would get my vote.

[quote name='robocorpse' timestamp='1430997509' post='2766664']
Would there be any sense in upgrading to HLF, or will a pair of HE do the job?
[/quote]No, as that would create a chain in which the HE is the weak link. That scenario is one of the myriad of reasons why you should not mix cabs.

Do you need the extra cab for the sound, volume or show?

For sound I'd go for 8 10's rather than 4 10's.
For volume I'd use the PA and fold back.
For show I'd get as many 4 10 cabs as you can afford.

I played with a mad guitarist a few years ago who wanted to hear more bass from the back line than from the fold back. I was using 610's with him. If you're not going through the PA you'll need the 2 410's. That means an extra HE cab.

Does bigger band/bigger stages means roadies? Have you thought about flight cases? Your gear won't last long without cases.

If for show get an empty 4x10 cab with front cover dark enough to hide the missing speakers. Lot less weight.
I know there are strong opinions on mixing cabs ie 4x10 & 1x15 but many professional bassists do it with Hartke, Ampeg, GK just a few manufacturers offering this. Ampeg themselves suggest matching your 4x10 with 1x15 HE series cabs ?
Bassists from Jack Bruce, John Wetton and i'm sure Mr Sheehan and Victor Wooten have used this set up.

I've tried it with bi-amping and it worked for me years ago but i'm now more convinced that sticking with more of the same size cabs is better sound however i do use a Bergantino HT322 cab with a 12, 2off 10 and a horn and it sounds fantastic.

Dave

i use an 810, honestly the best sounding cab! an 810 be it ampeg or my ashdown, just work! lots of mid presence, nice and high so i can hear myself and not a big problem to move as you would think.

and if you are thinking of carrying two 410's why cant you fit an 810?

andy

I'd split the difference and go 610 but you might be getting to the stage where
you will need a couple of rigs for the different level of gigs you envisage playing..

However, how you transport the cab might be as big a factor as anything else..?

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1431026432' post='2767117']
If you love your sound and want more of the same, get a matching cab!
[/quote]

This - doubling your current sound that you like really puts a smile on the face.

Many thanks for your answers. Here are mine:
Regarding upgrading to HLF, I meant both cabs, not one of each. Would it be worth it, really?
I'd prefer 2 cabs rather than an 8x10 as I play in 3 bands and want the flexibility of being able to take a single 410 to smaller shows in my car.
I will have transport for the bigger shows but don't want to buy and store an 8x10 that I can only use on the big shows, seems a waste.
I love the sound of the 410, I only considered 15 as a bottom cab so I might get some real gutwrenching lows on stage, rather through monitors.

The HLF is a 4 ohm cab so you couldn't run 2 with the SVT3 PRO. Ampeg make several 2 ohm capable amps though.

It seems to me that the HLF is designed to be big in the deep bass. I think I'd prefer the tone from the HE.

I prefer modular rigs as well. Far more practical when you have differing playing situations. 1 or 2 410's would definitely be more flexible than an 810, and as others have said, adding another HE would be more of what you already like, and the best route financially.

Ah yes, I had forgotten about the impedance of the HLF. But the idea of more bottom end does excite me. I chop and change between Stingray and Jackson PJ.
So the general concensus is that I go for 2x SVT410-HEs until I am rich enough to afford the space and a bigger personal transport for an 810?
(which I'd love for the hour I'm on stage, but hate the rest of the time, LOL)

I play metal and used to use a swr 4x10 and 1x18 which was great but I switched to a barefaced super 12t (2x12 +hf) it was the best move ever sound wise, the bottom is clearer and tighter the mids are more prominent in a good way and the top end zing is crystal clear. It's easily as loud too if not louder. I do still occasionally yearn after a big stack again, just because big looks cool but every time I plug in that soon dissapears. Worth thinking about maybe :^)