Why become a member? ×

Interesting booklet for landlords - from PRS (Performing Rights)

The Admiral

Interesting booklet for landlords re the value of putting on live music, and 'how to do it'. It covers 2 points which I thought were particularly worthy of mention. 1. It suggests the LL should check the band have public liability insurance (PLI), and 2. Asks LLs to make sure that any DJs they hire have a Pro Dub licence, to ensure the artists whose music they use to make money, get paid. I know a few DJs and there are many who don't have this, although they will have PAT certificates, as more venues are looking for that now as part of their H and S due diligence. I wonder how many bands playing in pubs have PLI?

https://www.prsformusic.com/users/businessesandliveevents/musicforbusinesses/Documents/MusicMakeoverleaflet.pdf

Whilst I can see the value / necessity of PLI, PAT testing, PRS, PPL etc. the barriers being put in place just to do the odd causal playing of music seem to be getting ever larger. Several slices of the 'cake' are taken before you even play a note. We had insurance in the Ceilidh bands I played in - could see the potential for some spectacular injuries consequential to dancing to music :)

Edited by 3below

Interesting that average takings are p on a Friday/Saturday by ~£650. Even if that's 50% profit then the bar will see an extra £325. Doesn't make sense then for the landlord to pay out more than £200-£250 if that. You can see why most of us don't give up our day jobs!

For a band, when you've covered real costs, insurance, annual PAT tests... Is it really worth doing for less that £250?

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1430733492' post='2764039']
Musicians union members have ooodles of free PLI.
[/quote]

£10,000,000 to be precise, but that applies only to the member i.e. it covers [u]me[/u] if some of my kit trips up a punter and they break their arm.

I've never heard of the ProDub licence before, but I wonder if it would be required for those of us playing in function bands? How many of us have a playlist on an MP3 player that's used for background music during breaks etc? I'd always assumed that it would be fine as long as the venue was properly licenced, but reading about ProDub would indicate that's probably not the case. If we instead use a pre-recorded compilation CD, then ProDub licence would not be required.

How do the rest of you interpret this?

George

All venues have to have public liability as a licensing condition, not the mickey mouse stiff they sell musicians, real insurance that is low on get out clauses.
We have it but on sitting down and reading the several thousand word get out clauses it makes it clear it is not valid where any other policy overides the same risk.
So unless your playing in an insured venue, useless.

Its staggering to see just how many supposedly professional or semi-professional musicians have an utterly lax attitude to PLI and basic safety checks like PAT.

Be thankful that driving instructors and restaurateurs take themselves more seriously as professionals.

Want to be treated like a pro? Then behave like one, get your insurance sorted out and your gear checked.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1430815300' post='2764711']
Its staggering to see just how many supposedly professional or semi-professional musicians have an utterly lax attitude to PLI and basic safety checks like PAT.

Be thankful that driving instructors and restaurateurs take themselves more seriously as professionals.

Want to be treated like a pro? Then behave like one, get your insurance sorted out and your gear checked.
[/quote]because they are basic checks anybody with a bit of basic electrical knowledge and common sense can do them