Why become a member? ×

Strange Audition

Nicko

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1432321093' post='2780541']
Thundering around on all the elements would certainly deter more, I would think.
[/quote]
[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1432319652' post='2780512']
he'd a got the job if it was my band
[/quote]

+1 - Our drummer is very good indeed, but he will do a frigging fill at EVERY opportunity and is always working at making the drums more flowery and impressive, i.e. little triplets on the hats, that sort of thing - while the rest of the band are intent on stripping everything down as far as possible for more impact. He's not playing for the song - he's playing for any drummers in the audience. Twat.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1432517258' post='2782276']

+1 - Our drummer is very good indeed, but he will do a frigging fill at EVERY opportunity and is always working at making the drums more flowery and impressive, i.e. little triplets on the hats, that sort of thing - while the rest of the band are intent on stripping everything down as far as possible for more impact. He's not playing for the song - he's playing for any drummers in the audience. Twat.
[/quote]do we have the same drummer?

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1432559105' post='2782624']
...do we have the same drummer?
[/quote]

Unfortunately I think they're [i]all [/i]like that. :) A drummer who can do all that stuff (but doesn't) is a rare animal indeed.
I reckon I should take up the drums - I'd be in more demand than I am as a bass player, that's for sure. :mellow:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1432560088' post='2782634']
Unfortunately I think they're [i]all [/i]like that. :)...
[/quote]

:angry:

(I was going to add ... [sharedmedia=core:attachments:170081] ... but thought better of it. :mellow: )

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1432563230' post='2782675']
Well naturally I assumed you were one of the very rare animals who don't do all that stuff... :biggrin:
[/quote]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:167485] Naturally.

Ha, audition stories..where to begin!

Once had a very solid drummer turn up, small kit, looked the biz. Seemed ok until we started to realise after about the fourth tune that he was gonna play the same four on the floor groove to every single song exactly the same every time!...would've sounded great if we had been doing a disco medley but...jeez!

Myself and a drummer friend went to a "blues" audition organised by a "name" blues guitarist. I'd never heard of him, seemed like a nice bloke until that is he whacks his Fender 100wt champ up full.....no-one could hear a bloody thing, only what could best be described as SRV on a rocket fuelled megaphone!!...drummer and myself didn't get the gig..apparently we were'nt listening properly....not surprising at those volume levels.

I sure we've all got many more.

dont bother with him, you will be running around after him FOREVVEEERRRRR
Get someone that really wants it, and wants to put in as much effort as you.

Auditions...
my fave story is my mates band, a keyboard player turned up with a cheap yamaha porta sound,
no leads, plugged into the pa.
then asked what "note" the song was in
he was told Gm
he then got his iphone out and looked on the net how to play a Gm :lol:

I had an interesting 'audition' recently...I don't know if this is odd or not, maybe it's not.

Saw an ad on Gumtree, got in contact and was asked to record a bass part to a tune the recruiter had on Soundcloud. The outfit (although I suspect it was one person) was a very 'electronica', minimal kind of thing and the tune already had a synth bassline on it.

So, I did what I thought was needed - kept it on the back burner during the verse and did something counterpoint-ish on the more up-tempo verse parts.

Two days later I get a reply saying I'm not what they're looking for...

Far enough, but I can't help feeling I didn't get a decent hearing...certainty not the way I'd run things.

• 4 months later...

Apologies for the thread resurrection but I happened across this one and thought I would share the cringiest audition I ever had. About 10 or so years ago I decided to get back into gigging after a few years off. Did a couple of auditions which went OK but by the end of the session I'd pretty much decided the respective bands weren't for me. Then I saw a card in a local guitar shop looking for a bassist in a new-country covers band. Phoned the guy up and he said that their regular player had been whinging for a while about wanting to take his playing more seriously and do some proper session playing up in town and the band was getting in the way of getting proper gigs with pros. So on that basis he'd decided that he was leaving the band.

I thought, fair enough and got the names and keys of a few songs to learn for the rehearsal the following week. It was mostly stuff I had on CD and pretty straightforward to get on top of. Anyway, on the following Tuesday I set up at the local scout hut and was introduced to the rest of the band. We ran through a few songs and I did a bit of backing vocals with the two girl vocalists and all was going swimmingly. I really liked all the guys and we were all getting on like a house on fire.

Anyway, after about 40 minutes this figure appears at the door lugging a bass amp and a Fender MM bass and freezes, looking at me. The band all did a double take, looked at him, looked at me and then looked at the bandleader. There was a quick huddle next to the door after which the bass player set up his amp at the opposite side of the room while shooting me daggers... We broke for a cuppa while more conflabbing happened and the bandleader's wife calmed down the stroppy looking bassist while I chatted to the drummer and other singer. It was at that point I recognised the guy. About three months before I'd seen him playing for a girl singer at a songwriter event a friend ran up in Shepherds Bush. I recalled that both he and her had been right unpleasant, sour and stroppy t*ts to all and sundry that night - organisers, crew and other acts.

I decided that discretion should be the better part of valour and volunteered to pack up and toddle off, much to protest from the drummer, keyboard player and other backing vocalist. The poor bandleader just looked really embarrassed. He phoned me the next day and invited me round to his place for a chat, to explain and to apologise. Turned out that at the last time the bassist had thrown his toys out of the prom and threatened to storm off the entire band had taken him seriously and thought he'd actually left the band. So it was a bit of a shock to them when he turned up and they learned that he'd not actually meant it. The bandleader felt that he sort of owed it to the guy and so had accepted his apology.

As it was he offered (as a consolation I guess, or maybe as an insurance over the guy's next strop) me a place playing rhythm acoustic with the band. Unsurprisingly I felt that might be a tad awkward and respectfully declined...

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1430572935' post='2762747']
We once auditioned a vocalist who turned up with an acoustic guitar, we asked if he intended playing it, and he replied, "no, I can't play guitar, I just like to have it with me all the time", and just stood it in the corner of the room.

Just before we started, he asked if he could go to the reception for some food and drink as he had come straight from work, he came back to the room with two rounds of sandwiches, crisps, chocolate bars, and two cans of drink.

He couldn't sing either, so he didn't get the job, but when we went to pay for the room, we found out that he had put his food and drink on the tab, so we had to pay an extra £9.50
[/quote]

Sounds like a win-win deal to me. He gets a free lunch and you get an ace story to tell. I'd say that tale is worth £9.50 of anyone's money 😉

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1432908766' post='2786137']
I had an interesting 'audition' recently...I don't know if this is odd or not, maybe it's not.

Saw an ad on Gumtree, got in contact and was asked to record a bass part to a tune the recruiter had on Soundcloud. The outfit (although I suspect it was one person) was a very 'electronica', minimal kind of thing and the tune already had a synth bassline on it.

So, I did what I thought was needed - kept it on the back burner during the verse and did something counterpoint-ish on the more up-tempo verse parts.

Two days later I get a reply saying I'm not what they're looking for...

Far enough, but I can't help feeling I didn't get a decent hearing...certainty not the way I'd run things.
[/quote]

a.) a bit off treatment there I think

b.) someone getting live bass recorded for free?

[quote name='SICbass' timestamp='1445937471' post='2895472']
a.) a bit off treatment there I think

b.) someone getting live bass recorded for free?
[/quote]

Live bass for free ? Possibly....seems a /very/ long-winded way of doing it tho, but I guess some might be that devious.