Why become a member? ×

For those Of Us Who have To Audition, Do You Ask The Right Questions?

blue

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1430249253' post='2759561']
Smart casual attire, turn up a little early (not good to look too eager/desperate), be nice and see how it goes.
[/quote]

Agreed

Don't take a long time to set up your rig. Move it, bust your but and get set up quick. I like the idea getting of wanting them to want you and be cool.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1430242509' post='2759440']

This would be an audition, not a rehearsal. If I researched the band and found they performed in tailored suits depending on the caliber of the band I would consider wearing an appropriate suit. To me it's the best way of saying ,[i] "this is the complete package, this is what you would be getting if you hire me."[/i] I can give you an example, if I were auditioning for sideman position with Peter Noone, I might wear and Edwardian style suit.

Blue
[/quote]
Yea, but does Peter Noone turn up at his own rehearsals wearing an Edwardian suit??

The best is to stick with your strengths and play the ageing rocker card (you’re in the same boat as me there)! I would suggest that you are trying to give off a vibe of an experienced musician who has been round the block a few times. I wouldn’t worry about the age thing; it’s hardly a boyband that you’re trying out for!

When it comes down to it, the only things that they are bothered about is can you do the gig and will you fit in with the band (both musically and personally). Just make sure that you know the stuff, be friendly and show that you’re interested in the gig without being too over the top.

Personally, I would put more thought into what bass you take to the audition than what clothes you are going to wear as they are more likely to judge you on that…

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1430261748' post='2759712']
I find the phrase "smart casual" hilarious since the men wearing it invariably look neither smart or casual.
[/quote]
And it is hardly very rock and roll, even for a function band...!

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1430248113' post='2759540']
I've done a few auditions for established but essentially weekend worrier functions bands. Everytime I've turned up and played the pre agreed songs as close to a recording as pos, been on time , in everyday causal gear etc and never had a problem.
[/quote]

[i]"Never had a Problem"[/i]

Does that mean you always won the gig?

Blue

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1430262202' post='2759716']
And it is hardly very rock and roll, even for a function band...!
[/quote]

Pete, I'm still working the 70s rock and roll look and for the most part it ain't working at all. :D

Now that I think about it, when I think I'm dressing for the part, I'm probably merely dating myself.

Blue

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1430260966' post='2759704']
Yea, but does Peter Noone turn up at his own rehearsals wearing an Edwardian suit??

The best is to stick with your strengths and play the ageing rocker card (you’re in the same boat as me there)! I would suggest that you are trying to give off a vibe of an experienced musician who has been round the block a few times. I wouldn’t worry about the age thing; it’s hardly a boyband that you’re trying out for!

When it comes down to it, the only things that they are bothered about is can you do the gig and will you fit in with the band (both musically and personally). Just make sure that you know the stuff, be friendly and show that you’re interested in the gig without being too over the top.

Personally, I would put more thought into what bass you take to the audition than what clothes you are going to wear as they are more likely to judge you on that…
[/quote]

I see where your coming from, however, first of all I doubt that Peter would be involved. When I auditioned for Cher, she wasn't a part of the process. The other thing is, if Peter was involved he's not selling himself to me I'm trying to sell to him. So I would go with the suit.

The aging rock guy thing, I agree 100%. I hate to admit it but it's probably my strongest card.

Regarding the bass, I agree. However, it bugs me because I don't make judgment on guitars even though I would rather see a Custom Les Paul than a Fender Strat or Tele. I won't audition with my Hofner, most people don't get the whole Hofner thing. I'd go with my G &L or one of my Fender Ps.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1430270712' post='2759735']

Pete, I'm still working the 70s rock and roll look and for the most part it ain't working at all. :D

Now that I think about it, when I think I'm dressing for the part, I'm probably merely dating myself.

Blue
[/quote]
I'm guessing that if there is a problem it might be that you're coming across as trying too hard. It helps to have a bit of an image going on thru it doesn't hurt to update it a little from time to time. However it should all come across as being effortless and just a visual representation of what you are. People are gonna notice if it seems a bit forced or you are trying too hard!

Still not sure about going to those lengths to dress for the Peter Noone audition but I take your point - I might take the suit but leave it in the car...!

Edited by peteb

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1430168607' post='2758662']
I wouldn't know, auditioning for metal bands just means you'd better be able to blag your way through the set, and that your metallica t shirt is one from an album that came out before 1990... And doesn't stink so badly that they can smell you coming before they see you :lol:
[/quote]

But Justice came out in 1988, and i will judge you for it...
;)

btw, I look a bit odd anyway, so have to just rock that look. Never failed me yet.

I'm not sure what people are after and what they offer in return
so I'd put the playing first, and then decide if they are heading to a place where
you want to go...
If we are talking about an income of £400 per month, then that would be easy to
get close to with many bands ... So I think the final arbiter is how well you play their stuff.
If you were generally personable then you'd have a shot,
Any band that goes to image before anything else, I wouldn't be bothered with, tbh..
Style over substance ..?? no..!!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1430303030' post='2759966']
[/quote]

But style is part of the substance. It's far easier to do well as a band if you have an image.

If you don't have the confidence to look good on stage then IME you don't have the confidence to be a decent live performer from a musical PoV either.

Those musicians who think they can get away with "letting the music do the talking" are deluding themselves.

If I was attending an audition, I would dress in whatever I found comfortable (although if I was going straight from work, it'd be work clothes). One of the questions I would ask them during the audition -- 'cos remember, an audition is as much about you testing the band as it is the band testing you -- would be about image and stage clothing. If I didn't like the sound of what I heard and there was no flexibility, I'd say a polite thanks-but-not-for-me either there and then or in emails afterwards.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1430306057' post='2760009']
But style is part of the substance. It's far easier to do well as a band if you have an image.

If you don't have the confidence to look good on stage then IME you don't have the confidence to be a decent live performer from a musical PoV either.

Those musicians who think they can get away with "letting the music do the talking" are deluding themselves.
[/quote]

I'd rather have it that way than have a show that is dependent on an image. We know we are a decent band and we'll live or die
on that. We don't struggle for money for gigs and we don't have to travel far either.
Our 'image' is low key, and it doesn't come first. We can sell 350 tickets...if we really really have to ..so we know our model works.
No delusion on our part and we aren't trying to make it either... it is just a viable band.

I've auditioned twice. Once for Bernie Torme (ex Ozzy, Gillan, Atomic Rooster) It was a gig I really wanted. I knew the other members really well but I didn't get it. The guy that got it was utter cr*p but he had a white thunderbird. I dressed how I was adviced to. I don't regret it, it was great experience and I've since gigged with Bernie (would you believe in a wedding band). The other audition I went to for fun. A very well known local band with a great following and playing very good, original material. Again, I knew most of the band, I'd played with the drummer and bassist before (I was on guitar for this one). They were fairly grungy but I turned up in cowboy boots and denims. Got the job and changed my attire to suit the band. Got the sack about 18 months later!! Only time I've been sacked :gas:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1430302498' post='2759959']

But it isn't me so unless we were talking fab money, status, Great gig etc etc, I'd pass on it.
[/quote]

What lengths we'll go through or hoops we will jump through depends on how bad we want to win an opportunity.

Blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1430309652' post='2760086']

I'd rather have it that way than have a show that is dependent on an image. We know we are a decent band and we'll live or die
on that. We don't struggle for money for gigs and we don't have to travel far either.
Our 'image' is low key, and it doesn't come first. We can sell 350 tickets...if we really really have to ..so we know our model works.
No delusion on our part and we aren't trying to make it either... it is just a viable band.
[/quote]

I would say "low key" is an image. It may be subtle but it sounds like your doing it right.

Blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1430303030' post='2759966']
I'm not sure what people are after and what they offer in return
so I'd put the playing first, and then decide if they are heading to a place where
you want to go...
If we are talking about an income of £400 per month, then that would be easy to
get close to with many bands ... So I think the final arbiter is how well you play their stuff.
If you were generally personable then you'd have a shot,
Any band that goes to image before anything else, I wouldn't be bothered with, tbh..
[/quote]

I don't think any of us can go wrong putting playing first. However, even some good bands are not good at the audition process or making a decision.

I lost an opportunity to a guy that came to the audition unprepared. He didn't know the material. He was a friend of the guitarist.

Blue

I've always been quite lucky insofar as I've almost always been part of an 'incestuous' scene where auditions are for 'outsiders', which I'm generally not.

Of the auditions I have been required to do, I simply ask if they rehearse in suits or jeans.
It immediately gives the message that I'm comfortable in either, am looking to fit in from day one and, at worst, have a sense of humour. :)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1430317097' post='2760215']
I would say "low key" is an image. It may be subtle but it sounds like your doing it right.

Blue
[/quote]

Yes... we look ok
The act looks and sounds professional but one one stresses about image.
You can either carry it all off or you can't. I'm 'auditioning' tonight, and
I'll be concentrating on how well the band gels... and that will determine
whether the line-up has legs or not. Being able to play well is a given, IMHO.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1430317602' post='2760222']
I don't think any of us can go wrong putting playing first. However, even some good bands are not good at the audition process or making a decision.

I lost an opportunity to a guy that came to the audition unprepared. He didn't know the material. He was a friend of the guitarist.

Blue
[/quote]

I pick who I want based on whether I think they play in the style we are looking for,
For example, I wanted a SRV type gtr..as I really liked the guys playing, but he isn't as available
as I wanted ...so I've gone for a Steve Lukather type, which on the face of it, is no hardship.
It helps me to know their style as then I can choose the material direction.
Funniliy enough the SRV type looks the part as well... too rock n roll for us ..as it stands.
For me, it is all about how you put a team together and whilst these guys are all highly regarded
in a local-ish scene... the evening is still an audition and about musical chemistry.
I only have doubts about 2 of them...and that is all about musical fit in this context.

For example... I'm not fussed about ahead drummers ..I don't want a hammer and tap gtr etc etc
So we'll see....
Sometimes when you invite people to a get together, the surprise element isn't there which is a shame.

There's another position I take when it comes to choosing a new band member in an established gigging band. Let's say a band that's gigging 4-6 times.

If you pick someone that is in another band it will cause and there will be scheduling conflicts. And scheduling conflicts means one of the bands is going to lose $$$. All bands do not have the resources to bring in a sub.

Also, when auditioning or getting an offer to join I would want to know if any other members were in other working bands. If there were, that would probably be a deal breaker for me.

Blue

Edited by blue