Why become a member? ×

Ebay question- Can I contact a winning bidder if I'm not the seller?

lucky

So last week I was oggling an old Hofner archtop on a buy it now on the Bay, and while I was umming and ahhing someone else bought it, at which point I obviously realised that I'd never wanted anything more... This left me with a very particular bee in my bonnet which so far isn't keen on any of the surprisingly high number of similar vintage archtops available

So, my question is can I contact the successful buyer and offer to buy it from them for a higher amount than they paid (be it through eBay or privately)?

Original listing:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221731568638?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.co.u...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]

Cheers

Edited by lucky

[quote name='lucky' timestamp='1428860628' post='2745385']
So last week I was oggling an old Hofner archtop...
[/quote]

Good evening, (Un..?) Lucky...

It would appear that the auction was ended by the seller 'pulling' the ad, rather than someone winning with a bid. maybe contact the seller directly and ask if it's still available, or, if not, where it went..? Certainly in fine condition for such a model, and the price doesn't seem exaggerated, but be aware, if you're not already, that Hofners of this age did not have an adjustable truss rod; the neck is therefore quite definitely on the 'chunky' side. Just sayin', it won't play like a modern Takamine (or even a '64 Senator...).
Good luck with your project.

Edited by Dad3353

Short answer = NO. You won't have access to the buyer's details for a start & the item link you posted says "This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available" so how do you know it is sold? You could try contacting the seller & see what the situation is, he would be able to give you the buyer's details if it was sold & if you asked nicely :rolleyes:

The seller might be comfortable with passing on your contact details to the buyer, if it was actually sold. I'd be surprised if the seller would just pass you the buyers details (and slightly annoyed if I was the buyer).

And get ready to be royally mugged on the price if you're chasing it down like this, but I guess you're prepared for this. :)

Personally I'd take this situation as a sign that specific bass wasn't for you, and a better one will be along soon.

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1428865788' post='2745479']
The seller might be comfortable with passing on your contact details to the buyer, if it was actually sold. I'd be surprised if the seller would just pass you the buyers details (and slightly annoyed if I was the buyer).

And get ready to be royally mugged on the price if you're chasing it down like this, but I guess you're prepared for this. :)

Personally I'd take this situation as a sign that specific bass wasn't for you, and a better one will be along soon.
[/quote]

Was it a bass?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1428861956' post='2745402']
Good evening, (Un..?) Lucky...

[/quote]

:blush: ..

I believe that an "best offer" was made and apparently accepted, although I'd have thought that would read as "item sold" rather than withdrawn? unless the seller was contacted directly by their phone number and it was sold sans-eBay? And following the detective suggestions I've had a look but I can't see any feedback that reflects this transaction so maybe it was sold elsewhere

I contacted the seller since to see if anything could be done, but I've particularly not asked for the buyers direct details from the seller as were the roles reversed I wouldn't want my contact information handed out so easily. I suggested asking the successful buyer if they'd consider a reduced price on one of the sellers similar guitars for sale at my expense but it had apparently already gone. I've asked if said seller had any other blondes up for sale soon but no joy, and if they'd consider passing my email address on to the guitars new owner so they could send me their appropriately inflated selling price. I've no idea if the seller has/will do so as there's nothing directly in it for them.

So it looks as though the only option is to regret it, and haunt eBay in the hope that the new owner hates it?

Cheers,
Un..lucky

Edited by lucky

[quote name='lucky' timestamp='1428868088' post='2745520']
I believe that an "best offer" was made and apparently accepted, although I'd have thought that would read as "item sold" rather than withdrawn?
[/quote]

No, or at least not via Ebay. If a best offer is accepted on Ebay, that's what it says, and the seller pays the final value fees. If he says "yes" to an offer done by another route, he could withdraw it and not pay the final value fees. So if he sold it for £300, that would save him £30.

[quote name='lucky' timestamp='1428868088' post='2745520']
So it looks as though the only option is to regret it, and haunt eBay in the hope that the new owner hates it?
[/quote]

Or you could type the words "hofner senator" into Gumtree or preloved.

Here's one (from a reputable Australian.dealer..) at £525 or so ...

[url="http://www.greatguitars.com.au/59.Hofner.Senator.blonde.jazz.guitar.htm"]Hofner Senator Blonde ... [/url]

... and a European (non-Selmer...) 455 in Germany, but brunette. Present bidding is 10€50 with 6 days to go ...

[url="http://www.ebay.de/itm/391112789332?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true"]Hofner 455 Brunette ...[/url]