Why become a member? ×

When you get compliments on your playing

anaxcrosswords

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1429885005' post='2755997']
I'm always complimenting other bass players and I never talk about gear. Haven't had a knock back yet, but maybe they all secretly wish I would go away.

Hey ho, I'm just trying to spread a little happiness.
[/quote]

Is it my imagination, or does really depend on where you are as well ?
Black Country seem far friendlier than in Birmingham, And way way friendlier than say Coventry or Nuneaton. Leic's is good as well, especially Hinkley for some reason.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

If I get compliments, I generally credit my 12u rack mounted backline filled with esoteric 80's japanese delays and US boutique compressors along with my 6 string pitch to MIDI bass and intersonic servo drive subwoofer.

I dont think Ive ever had someone say that they think Im an awesome bass player, but as Im the singer too, Im not surprised. Ive had people come up and say they think our band is great, or that I have a good voice, which is much more importanter for me than being thought of as being an amazing bass player. I think Im quite good, but think the collective sound is what I want to sound good B)

[quote name='BILL POSTERS' timestamp='1429890290' post='2756086']

Is it my imagination, or does really depend on where you are as well ?
Black Country seem far friendlier than in Birmingham, And way way friendlier than say Coventry or Nuneaton. Leic's is good as well, especially Hinkley for some reason.
[/quote]

Birmingham and the Black Country both equally friendly in my experience. But there's definitely a different vibe in the Black Country. Difficult to express in words.. you just have to be there really :D (I speak as an immigrant from Surrey)

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1429889789' post='2756078']
You're just easily pleased 'shell ;) Long may it continue!
[/quote]

Lol, Kev but that's not entirely true. I recently saw a band with a bass player who was so bad he really made me wince. The whole experience was utterly painful and I would have gone home but unfortunately I knew some of the othe band members so I just had to grin and bear it.

Gave them a nice round of applause (everyone deserves that!) but didn't single out Mr 'I neither know nor care what key this is in' for the gushing seashell fangirl treatment! :-)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1429860337' post='2755558']
Maybe I'm just in denial about my age, but I think any perceived barrier to opportunity is in one's mind, obviously. Imagining age stops you from doing anything makes you feel old and is a negative feedback loop. IMHO of course. :)
[/quote]

Keeping a positive attitude is always good and maybe it works on the age front too. I say the age front because I notice that when we are booked at some of this piss holes I would have not the best attitude days before the gig. Last weekend I tried something different, as soon as I got to the gig I told said to our BL;

[i]"This is going to be a fun gig[/i]"

And you know what?, It was.

Agreed, the mind set applies to just about everything including age.

Discreet, my pics are recent and not photo shopped. In person I look 62, it's why I don't post any close ups. :D

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1429860888' post='2755566']
...when chatting with people at gigs always felt I'd have to make some sort of self deprecating joke about my age. Just in case people thought I hadn't noticed I was in my 50's and shouldn't be up there with youngsters of 35! So thanks for the lightbulb moment, discreet. I'm going to try not to mention it again.
[/quote]

You're more than welcome. Of course, to me you're just a young strip of a lass. So it's all relative. :D

The sax player of the ska band that we supported tonight mentioned my 'nice bass work'; a compliment made all the more pleasing as this chap is a former member of UB40 and has also played with Sly and Robbie!
I just kind of awkwardly said thanks and changed the subject

[quote name='anaxcrosswords' timestamp='1429927622' post='2756471']
Blue - I can assure you, you look very young for your age.
[/quote]

Absolutely, not a day past 60! ;)

Kidding - I hope I'm in as good shape in 18 years time!

Edited by Iain

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1430058575' post='2757539']
I've learnt the best way ever to deal with compliments, because as was said above, people in the black country are stupidly friendly and you have to get used to it fast!

I just offer a grin, a handshake, and say "Thanks, really glad you enjoyed it!"
[/quote]
Me too, but I add 'Thanks for coming'
I'm not from the Black Country, but have gigged here a lot and recently migrated from Brum.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1430058575' post='2757539']
I've learnt the best way ever to deal with compliments, because as was said above, people in the black country are stupidly friendly and you have to get used to it fast!

I just offer a grin, a handshake, and say "Thanks, really glad you enjoyed it!"
[/quote]

That's the spirit! Look forward to shaking your hand one day. :D

Last night I got a huge applause after my solo in "Them Changes", I could have bowed, however all I did was look down at my shoes. At break a punter told me it was the best bass solo he ever heard?

My response;

[i]" Hey , thanks a lot, good to hear because I was really struggling up there."[/i]

And I was.

Blue

Back in my '20s I got a fair amount of compliments regarding my playing that in hindsight I really didn't deserve. I'm a lot better a player now (relatively OK I think) but as I am in my '40s I find that I am practically invisible at gigs.
So to quote a wise man: 'If they like me, I like them!'
Be glad of any compliments whatsoever.
Martin