Why become a member? ×

Merle Haggard country music bass playing

tranmere

Help! I'm an intermediate bassist playing two Merle Haggard songs next week, Swinging doors in G and Working Mans blues in A. Other than playing the root and 5th , how can I make my bass part more interesting? is there an easy country bass lick to play? or would you add an easy walking bass approach note? Any advice gratefully received.

Working Man has a nice little riff, can't post link from my phone, but top result on youtube is nice Live version. Swinging Doors needs you on the I V all the way, with the odd little run between chord changes. Get yourself into the right mindset for it, concentrate on getting a great tone and getting your notes in exactly the right place, and then enjoy how great you've just made the song, not how elaborate your bass line has been.

These are just old fashioned country songs so you're best bet is play what they did on the original. You can make the bass lines as interesting as you like but you won't make the lines any better for those songs.

Just concentrate on getting the part right. It's not an uninteresting bass line if it's right.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='tranmere' timestamp='1427963295' post='2736272']
how can I make my bass part more interesting?
[/quote]

:) More interesting than [i]what[/i]? The original bass lines on the records? Than the templated trad root / 5 country bass line?

If you play something 'interesting' the best you can hope for is a cold, murderous stare from the bandleader. The worst you can expect is being ripped limb from limb by enraged elderly men in cowboy boots and Hank Williams t-shirts.

Workingmans got loads of interesting variations in it already, and swinging door needs just to be solid, with those passing notes as others have said.

My advice as someone who knows no theory is learn the basic bass pattern and the structure of the song, once you've done that that listen to some of the variations and learn those if possible , but don't attempt to add anything that's not already there ( unless the brief for whole band is to do it differently ).

Groove is always talked about with soul and funk, but I think this type of music whilst simple enough, can be ruined easily by over playing and losing time, it's all about the groove on root and 5th

Good luck, they are great songs

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1428114682' post='2738236']
:) More interesting than [i]what[/i]? The original bass lines on the records? Than the templated trad root / 5 country bass line?

If you play something 'interesting' the best you can hope for is a cold, murderous stare from the bandleader. The worst you can expect is being ripped limb from limb by enraged elderly men in cowboy boots and Hank Williams t-shirts.
[/quote]

Indeed! i was helping out a friend in his country band once. We doing this song called Jambalaya or something. It alternated between C and G and bored me rigid. I tried to spice it up a bit by using chromatic fills and pushing and pulling the beat.
The singer glared at me and shouted "Play It Straight!"
I never got asked back. :(

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1428144401' post='2738424']
Indeed! i was helping out a friend in his country band once. We doing this song called Jambalaya or something. It alternated between C and G and bored me rigid. I tried to spice it up a bit by using chromatic fills and pushing and pulling the beat.
The singer glared at me and shouted "Play It Straight!"
I never got asked back. :(
[/quote]
I'm not surprised! Jambalaya has a strong 2/2 feel. Stick to root/fifth for the most part, but some judicious walking can work well behind a solo, especially in smaller outfit where there is not much else going on.

In general, 'spicing up' country bass lines does [i]not[/i] improve them as it turns them into something else.

Just remember . . . the less your fingers are doing while playing the song, the more time you have to do other interesting things, like checking out, and smiling at, all the pretties who are dancing to the music. It's what keeps me sane when playing country music, sometimes. lol