Why become a member? ×

Foam mute?

Number6

I've recently started using a soft foam mute under the strings by the bridge on my Yamaha 5 string and i really like the slightly deadened sound. I only started using it as i found a spare piece of foam and thought i'd give it a try.

I don't know untill i rehearse next how it will sound playing with the band but i'll give it a whirl.

I just wondered if anyone else uses this kind of a mute for any particular songs or all the time on their basses?

The bass currently has round wounds but i may try some flats.

I went the other way: I bought an elderly MM Sterling a few years ago that had the individual foam dampers for each string built into the bridge. I couldn't get on with it at all, so I ripped the foam off (according to a MM tech it's the same stuff foam rubber mouse mats are made of, should I ever want to reinstall them) and screwed the adjusters all the way down. Perfect!

[quote name='MarkW' timestamp='1427600557' post='2732201'] I couldn't get on with it at all, so I ripped the foam off [/quote] wouldn't it have been enough to tighten the screws that adjust the height of the mutes to avoid them touching the strings? Just wondering, that's what I do on my vintage stingray...

[quote name='Shedua511' timestamp='1427619154' post='2732273']
wouldn't it have been enough to tighten the screws that adjust the height of the mutes to avoid them touching the strings? Just wondering, that's what I do on my vintage stingray...
[/quote]
Yes indeed, but they were so manky that they would have had to be replaced if I was going to keep them, so I just whipped them off! :-)

I've got one of these wwwbassmute.com
It's a nice (expensive) semi-permanent way of having a consistent degree of muting at the flick of a switch. I bought it to try and make my j bass sound like an upright as that's what I needed at the time. As with any attempt to make BG sound like URB it got me into the better, but still not quite the same territory that all these things do. What it is good for is mid-way through a covers set when I need an old motown/muted p sound. I can just roll of the tone on the bass, flick on the mute and hey presto it's (nearly) a p.
One thing I have found with this or any other muting solutions (besides palm) is that to mute the strings enough to change the sound often pushes the tuning up a bit as I suppose it almost creates a zero fret in front of the bridge or just bends the string slightly. Just make sure you have time to re-tune between car wash and mustang sally ;-)

I've used a bit of sponge especially when new strings have been fitted, I hate the sound of new strings. Watched a guy on youtube called Mo Morris he plays with flatwound strings foam mutes and has had the same strings on for 15 years. But he blew me away with that old school RnB vibe.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1427618653' post='2732267']
I palm mute these days...
[/quote]

Me too.

IMO the execution is more dynamic and I can get a nice clean yet aggressive tone using this technique. Muting the strings with the palm of your hand.

Blue

Edited by blue