Why become a member? ×

Is there something wrong with me.?

bubinga5

As we go through life we have to make compromises - sometimes we can live with these, sometimes not. You have to balance whether making those compromises makes you happy or not then balance that against whether you would miss playing if you decided to leave. Maybe it's time for a break to see where you are - after all do you need to make the "stay or go" decision now?

Personally I don't like two guitars in a band set up, I prefer 1 guitar and keys which should give more space for the bass to stand out.

How loud is your voice in the band? Maybe you need to make your feelings known and see if you can steer the band in a direction you're more happy with.

[quote name='julietgreen' timestamp='1427056965' post='2725271']
Whenever I read threads like this, I'm always reminded of the drummer Mark Mondesir. I was at a workshop of his and he said he always got asked what he most liked to play - jazz or funk or rock or fusion etc and he always replied that he most liked to play drums.
[/quote]

+1

Blue

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1427058102' post='2725291']
As we go through life we have to make compromises - sometimes we can live with these, sometimes not. You have to balance whether making those compromises makes you happy or not then balance that against whether you would miss playing if you decided to leave.
[/quote]

Very much this , you are truly blessed if you find a band that plays exactly the type of music you want to the standard you require .

To quote BigredX , I find its more about the people who you play with , rather than the music you play .
I've been a Pub Blues / Rock bass player for nearly 30 years , but I now play fretless in a Folkie style duo , I' m discovering some great music from Glen Hansard and Leonard Cohen . The guitarist / vocalist is really cool and a great entertainer which makes gigs a real laugh . Just open your mind to different types of music .

There are multiple reasons I play in bands -- not the least of which is getting paid to play live. I enjoy the ability to create, musically. I also enjoy being able to put the cares of the day aside for a few hours and enjoy creating a moment or two of musical magic with friends that I truly enjoy being around and spending time with. Now that the children are out of the house, and the wifey has moved on, if it wasn't for the moments spent playing with band-mates, and laughing at the craziness that happens when people of completely different backgrounds and walks of life get together, life could get quite lonely. Other than recording my own original music, there's not much else to do other than popping an interesting tune on to learn how to play it. I simply refuse to live a life in which the TV is my only company after I leave my day job.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1426955474' post='2723998']
No, absolutely not.

I'd rather not play at all than play music I don't like.
[/quote]

This. I can take about 6 months of dep work playing anything though; any longer and I go a bit [i]cakey[/i].

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1426953008' post='2723944']
can you girls/guys play music that your not really into..?

put it this way i would rather play covers all night of chic than play the original music that this band has.
[/quote]

I can play music I'm not really into, and even look as if I'm enjoying the experience (there is a video somewhere of me playing on "Red Red F*cking Whine" that illustrates this perfectly). However, these days I only do that when I'm depping with my old club band for money - partly because of the money and partly because we all became friends through the band.

I wouldn't like to join a band where I wasn't enthusiastic about the majority of the music that they played, be it covers or original. Not unless there were vast financial rewards (so I could happily play Chic covers all night for £1k or so).

I'm not really into folk music (or roots-folk-acoustic-punk-core, whatever you call us) but I do love the guys I play with, we get a lot of gigs, and most of them pay. I enjoy playing, but I tend to play with my own style anyway, so some of the more rigid numbers end up with a more funky feel. Maybe there's some room for you to get a bit more stylish with this band? You don't necessarily need to be playing the genre for you. As it's original, you should be able to do whatever you want and play in your own style.

If it's a gigging band and you're making money out of it it may be worth trying to change it from the inside.

If it's not then I'd can it (unless you can see some possible progression in your situation by hanging around).

Not sure if my opinion should count as anything because I don't do music for the money.

Oh and Chic? Hell, I'm a metal-head primarily and even I think that Chic do it properly! ;)

Hi Andrew,
I was in pretty much the same boat as you a couple of years ago.
I started a groove based Blues Band that basically because of the personnel and their not being able to play the genre with the correct feel turned into a Blues Rock Band.
It was a very frustrating period for me musically, so much so that in the end I quit the band. They've gone on to be quite busy doing what they do and the best of luck to 'em, I've no regrets.
I've since found and become good friends with an excellent keys player, perfect in every way for the genre, the guy has taste, feel and a bloody good ear. Luckily I also know an excellent singer. The three of us have spent the last 18 months on and off trying to find the right drummer and guitarist and all being well, those two guys surfaced yesterday.
I'd say stick with the keys player and find others that suit the style of music you want to play. When it finally comes together the result is soooo worth it.
Good Luck mate in whatever you choose to do.
Pete.
B)

Edited by kennyrodgers

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1426961384' post='2724133']If money is of no consequence to you, then it might be time to move onto something you like and enjoy playing. Blue [/quote]

I count myself as very fortunate - I earn a really good wage in my day job and the music's just for fun. All the band earns their living outside of music barring the singer who's a drummer/actor. As such we pick songs through blind voting after putting suggestions for additions to the set. This way we play stuff we all like, you might have to 'take one for the team' but so far it's not worked out too badly. We focus learning and practising on songs that got 5/5 or 4/5 votes. We're also lucky enough that rock (we play old and new punk and classic rock) has enough places that gigs aren't too had to come by.