Why become a member? ×

The ultimate jazz bass

JamesBass

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1427119556' post='2725927']
If you're commissioning one, then consider Bernie Goodfellow's GB Spitfires or Overwater.
[/quote]

Agree with this, I'd probably add Sei, Limelight, and Shuker into the mix. If you're definitely looking at a custom build by a luthier, it's just a matter of looking at their websites and seeing what really ticks all the boxes for you.

Maybe email the ones that you're particularly interested in and see how they can help you make your decision? Chris May at Overwater was great when they built mine, really helpful guy when I spoke to him on the phone.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1427031322' post='2724841']
Think the point of my thread has been missed which is my fault!

I'm planning on building/commissioning a Jazz bass soon. I know enough to go buy off the shelf, but I'm interested in building a jazz that is "The ultimate Jazz" basically a jazz like the Fender 50th Anniversary jazz but even better!

So far I know I want matching headstock. Bound rosewood neck, undecided on dots or block inlays, I'd like it to be a stack knob but don't know about body pickup positions and their pros and cons, what about neck shape/specs? Or how has the body shape and contours changed and what's the consensus on the best neck shape and dimensions and body shape and contour?

I'm looking for it be sound balanced, articulate, and 60s inspired as I play soul, blues, jazz, and funk.
[/quote]

In that case, if it was me, I'd go to the Bass Gallery and commission a Sei Jazz. I've tried some in the past, especially ones which look just like a 'regular' Fender Jazz, with stack knobs, but with active electronics. They are truly sublime. Oh, and I'd have a bound ebony fretboard, with clay dots, and vintage cream body, matching headstock and torty plate. Thank you very much ;)

Fender ditched the stack knobs as there was no real advantage over the VVT arrangement. If you go for stack knobs, make them active.

I wouldn't have a jazz built, if I was wanting a four string Id just buy the Geddy Lee sig in sunburst.

Black blocks on a maple fretboard, perfect neck profile (for me) and sounds like I feel a passive bass should.

I had a CIJ like this and I still don't why I sold it. Probably because I'm stupid.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1427120723' post='2725945'] Well if my Peterbuilt ever actually arrives it'll hopefully be close to my perfect jazz :) LIned Fretless, matched H/S, DiMarzio Js & stack knobs. [/quote]

Is Peterbuilt not an American truck icon ? never heard of them doing basses.
Where's my google :rolleyes:

Dave

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Black Coffee' timestamp='1427454721' post='2730531']
I wouldn't have a jazz built, if I was wanting a four string Id just buy the Geddy Lee sig in sunburst.

Black blocks on a maple fretboard, perfect neck profile (for me) and sounds like I feel a passive bass should.

I had a CIJ like this and I still don't why I sold it. Probably because I'm stupid.
[/quote]

I have a black one of these and the neck is to die for. It's just so fast!

[quote name='lonestar' timestamp='1427309699' post='2728747']

What are those then ?
[/quote]

All the things that get removed. The ash tray, the pickup cover, the finger rest and the bbot bridge. For Jaco and NWR the scratch plate. The neck pocket and bolts are often extended and added to on reinterpretations. The neck needs to be stiffer hence graphite rods, stringers and status graphite neck replacements. That last one would be key to my ultimate jazz.

[quote name='Black Coffee' timestamp='1427454721' post='2730531']
Geddy Lee sig...I had a CIJ like this and I still don't why I sold it. Probably because I'm stupid.
[/quote]Me too! :( But maybe I'm not so stupid after all because I bought another one a little while later! ;)