Why become a member? ×

Music education.

ambient

I have a job interview in a month or so time for sessional music teaching for my local council's music hub. As suggested in the letter from the music hub, I'm reading through 'The Importance of Music : a National Plan for Music Education'. A document produced by the Department for Culture Media and Sport. They quote Aristotle and Plato on the opening page, quotes about the benefit of music.

They then have a lengthy foreword about England's fantastic musical heritage, and how the country's musicians create some of the best music the world has ever heard.

Then page 4 they get down to the financing of the country's musical education.

Here's what they say -

[i]The Department for Education (DfE) will continue to fund music education at significant levels during difficult economic times: £77m/£65m/£60m will be available in the three years from April 2012. The vast majority of this will be invested in hubs that will also supplement and draw-in local and national funding for music - from local authorities, cultural organisations, businesses, trusts, foundations and philanthropists.[/i]

If it's as important to them as they say, then why are they cutting the budget for music education between 2012 and 2015 by £17 million ?

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1426460839' post='2718314']
I just thought it bizarre that on pages 1, 2 and 3 they extolling the virtue and importance of music education, then page 4 they basically state what they think by mentioning the decreasing budgets.
[/quote]

They think it's a good thing, so they're restricting it to those who can pay for it. Like lots of other stuff. Private education and private health care, to name but two.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1426459263' post='2718299']
and how the country's musicians create some of the best music the world has ever heard.
[/quote]

Im not sure that the free musical education provided in this country can take much credit for this?

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1426460839' post='2718314']
I just thought it bizarre that on pages 1, 2 and 3 they extolling the virtue and importance of music education, then page 4 they basically state what they think by mentioning the decreasing budgets.
[/quote]

They may well be ...but they are directed to cut from above.
And in these fraught times, I'd hardly expect Arts to get off scot-free.
I doubt the NHS can realistically expect to be ring-fenced for the lenght of the next
parliament either so I don't think anyone can make a case for exclusion..??