Why become a member? ×

Anyone bought a new Markbass Traveler 102P recently?

Gottastopbuyinggear

Following a recent (still current, in fact) run in with a bad back I'm looking around at lightweight cabs again. I quite fancy the Markbass Traveler 102P, which is still advertised everywhere as 15Kg, but I remember there was a thread on here mid last year saying the 102P had increased to 18Kg when production moved to Indonesia and the cab material changed.

That info was posted by Marco himself, although some of his later posts in the thread could have been taken to suggest he was going to review that info, or even maybe review the cab material change.

Has anyone on here actually bought a new one recently, and weighed it or compared it with something around the same weight?

I'm currently using an Ampeg PF115, which is only just over 20Kg itself. I think 5Kg lighter, along with having the two side mounted handles, will make a fair bit of difference, but if it's only 2Kg less then it's not going to be worth it.

I used to have a pair of traveller 102P. I can't answer your question regarding weight but I will say that the shape/size and handle position made them very easy to carry if that helps. They sound good too.

I've been considering a pair of NY 121 as a handy modular and affordable rig, now that the prices have dropped.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1426081143' post='2714137']
I used to have a pair of traveller 102P. I can't answer your question regarding weight but I will say that the shape/size and handle position made them very easy to carry if that helps. [b]They sound good too.[/b]
Frank.
[/quote]

Now that is a feature that may be worth having.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1426081143' post='2714137']
I used to have a pair of traveller 102P. I can't answer your question regarding weight but I will say that the shape/size and handle position made them very easy to carry if that helps. They sound good too.

I've been considering a pair of NY 121 as a handy modular and affordable rig, now that the prices have dropped.

Frank.
[/quote]

Yeah, the NY 121 is definitely another option I've been thinking about. Even easier to transport than the 2x10 I'd guess.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1426102242' post='2714463']
I have an Italian one and it's 15kg. Unless they've changed the spec for the new ones it only has one handle on the right hand side.
[/quote]

Aha - I did a quick search on google images and the first one I found showing the left hand side showed a handle. I've taken another look, though, and it seems to be a badly labelled photo as the dimensions look all wrong. I suspect it's actually a 2x12 cab...
[attachment=186102:timthumb.jpeg]

Edited by Gottastopbuyinggear

I bought a new one from Thomann a couple of weeks ago. It does seem very light, but seeing this thread inspired me to get the luggage scales out - according to them it's not even 15kg, was showing just under 14kg.

Maybe mine's made of cardboard or something...

[quote name='Alex B' timestamp='1426144411' post='2714816']
I bought a new one from Thomann a couple of weeks ago. It does seem very light, but seeing this thread inspired me to get the luggage scales out - according to them it's not even 15kg, was showing just under 14kg.

Maybe mine's made of cardboard or something...
[/quote]

Thanks for doing that. Are you happy with the cab? I know some people complain about the tweeters being hissy in these.

[quote name='Gottastopbuyinggear' timestamp='1426164133' post='2715077']
Thanks for doing that. Are you happy with the cab? I know some people complain about the tweeters being hissy in these.
[/quote]

On my old one there was an attenuator for the Tweeter so you could turn it if not totally off, certainly down. I just left it a 12 oclock.

[quote name='Gottastopbuyinggear' timestamp='1426164133' post='2715077']
[/quote]

I haven't gigged it yet, only rehearsed with it so far. Gigging tomorrow night though, so we will see....

The tweeter is quite hissy, yes. But as yorks5 says, there is an attenuator, so I imagine I'll be giving it a tweak tomorrow night if the hiss is really noticeable.

All in all so far though, I'm really liking the sound of the cab, from the limited rehearsal and home playing time it's had so far. And of course the weight and size of it is a bonus!

[quote name='Gottastopbuyinggear' timestamp='1426079516' post='2714115']
Following a recent (still current, in fact) run in with a bad back I'm looking around at lightweight cabs again. I quite fancy the Markbass Traveler 102P, which is still advertised everywhere as 15Kg, but I remember there was a thread on here mid last year saying the 102P had increased to 18Kg when production moved to Indonesia and the cab material changed.

That info was posted by Marco himself, although some of his later posts in the thread could have been taken to suggest he was going to review that info, or even maybe review the cab material change.

Has anyone on here actually bought a new one recently, and weighed it or compared it with something around the same weight?

I'm currently using an Ampeg PF115, which is only just over 20Kg itself. I think 5Kg lighter, along with having the two side mounted handles, will make a fair bit of difference, but if it's only 2Kg less then it's not going to be worth it.
[/quote]

I just had a look athe instruction manual for my cmd102p bought in 2006 and it says 20kg. So have they got lighter and then heavier again ?

[quote name='lonestar' timestamp='1426252233' post='2716164']
I just had a look athe instruction manual for my cmd102p bought in 2006 and it says 20kg. So have they got lighter and then heavier again ?
[/quote]

The traveller 102P is a cab only, whereas the CMD102P is a combo, not sure if you're confusing the two.
Apologies if that's not what you meant.
My own CMD102P ( Made in Italy 2012/3) weighs more than 20KG, but that's not really a big concern for me,especially as it's just been relegated to back up status.

Cheers Pete :)

Edited by tbonepete

Sorry that's me confusing cabs v combos. Another senior moment.
I was only thinking last night while rehearsing with a loud drummer how nicely a 102 cab would work under my combo.
What were you thinking of sticking on top of your 102p if you go for it.

[quote name='Gottastopbuyinggear' timestamp='1426141225' post='2714802']

That's a very kind offer - thanks!
[/quote]

We sold ours before I could weigh it!

Have ordered another though :)

I've spoken to Some people about this and have heard that an early batch of the Indonesian ones may have been heavier but they are all now back to the previous weight (which seems to be borne out in comments above)

We should have the next order in early next week so will try to weigh that one!

[quote name='lonestar' timestamp='1426271103' post='2716484']
Sorry that's me confusing cabs v combos. Another senior moment.
I was only thinking last night while rehearsing with a loud drummer how nicely a 102 cab would work under my combo.
What were you thinking of sticking on top of your 102p if you go for it.
[/quote]

I'm using an Ampeg PF500 at the moment, through a PF115HE cab.

Thanks for everyone's responses. I can now answer my own question as well, as I've taken the plunge and bought one. First impressions are great, although I've only played it on my own in the house so far. It sounds, to me, a lot better than my PF115 - I know it's going to be different from a tone point of view, but It feels more solidly put together, and there's not the slight resonance I feel from the Ampeg cab on certain lower notes.

As to the original question, I was a little worried at first that 5Kg wouldn't make that much difference, but it really is hugely easier to carry. According to my bathroom scales it's 13Kg, but that does sound a bit optimistic - they're probably not that accurate at lower weights, and on top of that I've been training them to tell me I'm only twelve and a half stone...

• 3 weeks later...