Why become a member? ×

Hand problems.

chaypup

Recently (just this week) my hands have been going weird on me :(
My left hand little and ring finger have been tingling when I play, and my right hand becomes slow and clumsy and I can't play accurately. :( :(

This has coincided with:

Using a new Stingray 5 string.
Increasing my practise time to >2 hours a day for a load of different gigs I have coming up.
Working more hours in a manual job outdoors (lots of digging, hammering, other repetitive stuff with hands) and becoming more muscly in the arms and shoulders (does that make a difference?)

At the moment it's only when I play the 5 string, on my gigs with the 4 string it's ok.

Looking at previous threads it sounds like CTS but a bass magazine article stated that little finger tingling is NOT CTS.
I will see the doctor this week or as soon as I can get an appointment - anything else I can do? Has anyone else had these symptoms?

The clumsy right hand is especially getting to me.

PS. Since the symptoms started I cut back straight away on the practice to just working out tracks I need to learn and not going over stuff to get it technically correct.

Sounds like possibly Too much too soon. I've had similar unexplained twinges when ramping up the playing frequency / intensity - it's usually a result of doing more or different stuff.

One thing that has helped, and often overlooked, is proper warm up of your plucking hand - stretches / balled fist etc.

Another potentially related issue is what you're doing outside of playing bass. Laptops, esp trackpads, are notoriously bad for your body / hands - wonder if there's anything in your line of work causing this.

Edited by Drax

I would guess Carpal TS but it is really a guess... The good thing...as far as anything like tis can be good..?? is that it appears to be triggered by a new or change of bass. I find I get a little ligament tweak on my palm when I use a 5st jazz neck incorrectly/lazily so I am thinking my hands/technique suit a 5st P bass type neck. My first port of call may well have been talking to a good pyshio..??? rather than a GP who will most likely have to refer you anyway..

Edited by JTUK

Has the 5 string altered the way you play with your left hand, you may find you are bending your wrist differently which can be a cause of numbness and tingling, you may find your right hand is becoming clumbsy because you are distracted by the discomfort and concern about your left hand?

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1425815633' post='2710919']
Has the 5 string altered the way you play with your left hand, you may find you are bending your wrist differently which can be a cause of numbness and tingling, you may find your right hand is becoming clumbsy because you are distracted by the discomfort and concern about your left hand?
[/quote]

Possibly, the neck is a different profile to my other basses, especially compared to my main bass which has an asymmetric neck. Doesn't explain my right hand weirdness though.

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1425815713' post='2710920']
BAPAM site is worth checking out. Free to see a physio who understands the demands of playing on the body
[/quote]
[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1425815457' post='2710912']
I would guess Carpal TS but it is really a guess... The good thing...as far as anything like tis can be good..?? is that it appears to be triggered by a new or change of bass. I find I get a little ligament tweak on my palm when I use a 5st jazz neck incorrectly/lazily so I am thinking my hands/technique suit a 5st P bass type neck. My first port of call may well have been talking to a good pyshio..??? rather than a GP who will most likely have to refer you anyway..
[/quote]

Great idea, thanks! Will be calling BAPAM in the morning to book an appointment.

Edited by chaypup

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1425814325' post='2710895']
I will see the doctor this week or as soon as I can get an appointment - anything else I can do?
[/quote]

That's the best (and only) thing to do... or a physiotherapist. With the best will in the world, any advice given here, may or may not help, as people are merely guessing as to what your problem is. It may not be bass related at all, but playing the bass just aggravates it.

Seek medical advice.

Edited by Coilte

CTC doesn't affect the little finger, just the thumb and the other 3 fingers. But it could still be nerve related. Your GP should refer you to the neurology dept at your local hospital for further tests. The sooner you have the tests the better, as the longer the problem continues, untreated, the more likely it is you could sustain permanent nerve damage.

I've had CTS and my wrist has been operated on. I've had no problems since.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1425818337' post='2710980']
Err....is the little finger not one of the other four???
[/quote]

I wondered how long it would take for somebody to spot that mistake. I don't really have 6 fingers on my hand :)

Don't waste time seeing a GP, book an appointment at the DTR clinic at the top of Crwys Road on the junction with Cathays Terrace.
Steve Cannon & his team there are superb.

http://www.dtr-clinic.com

Edited by RhysP