Sign in to follow this  
Jus Lukin

Solution to Ultra Bright LEDs?

I've got a few pedals with LEDs which are capable of obscuring the controls of their host and burning their image into my retina in a well lit room, let alone on a dark stage.

Something needs to be done about this odd little habit of pedal builders- not being a fan of tape on pedals I'm thinking Sharpie or paint pen.

Any other... Ugh :sorry: ...bright ideas?

I sharpied the top of one pedal and it dispered the light out really well to the side, so this would be my way to go.

There's a product called LightDims, glorified semi-transparent stickers really, looks a bit better than sticky tape. They work OK provided the LEDs aren't sticking up too much from the surface.

Nail varnish works, put a dollop in the center of the LED to tame the laser beam.

Edited by FretNoMore

Increase the value of the resistor on the LED supply. A resistor in series (which this will be) is used to limit the current, so a bigger value of resistor will dim the offending article.

Or you could add another resistor, so that the two add up to a larger impedance.

actually, if you were going to get inside it to mess about with the components then the most sensible suggestion would be to rip the 'Flash Burn' LED out and replace it with a sensible one...

Edited by paul_5

I've found that a 10k resistor brings the bright blue down to a really good level. Try a variety of different values using a 9V battery - 'tis quick'n'easy.

A reversible way would be to get a little masking tape, put a small piece over the led & cut around the tape with a Stanley or craft knife.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1425414549' post='2707143']

actually, if you were going to get inside it to mess about with the components then the most sensible suggestion would be to rip the 'Flash Burn' LED out and replace it with a sensible one...
[/quote]

That has worked well for me. I found some really nice low intensity diffused lens blue LEDs on eBay -- took a while to find them, but they do exist. I then run them well under the max current spec, and at that point they're no longer obnoxious at all, at least by my standards.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1425480562' post='2707761']
Close your eyes? ;)
[/quote]

Tried that, turned the wrong knob!

Some great suggestions here, I'm not one to trust my soldering on anything riskier than a set of pickups, and the wet and dry LED 'frosting' is just plain cool.

Something sounds right about the nail varnish though. I'll see if the Mrs has anything suitable knocking about in that dressing up box of hers!

[/chauvinistic bolsh]

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1425507194' post='2708117']
the wet and dry LED 'frosting' is just plain cool.
[/quote]

No pun intended!

I found a shade of greyish lilac which isn't too obvious, works a charm! I did a tidy job on a handful of pedals, and made splodgy bodges of a couple, too. One particularly murderous white LED took four coats of opaque green to learn it's lesson, but overall im very pleased with the results. Thanks again all.