Why become a member? ×

New bass: fretless for fun or fretted for alternate tunings?

JimBobTTD

I am at a crossroads and I am really unable to decide. Hence, this post.

I have sold enough stuff to fund a new neck for a spare body I have lying around at home. Do I go for:[list]
[*]A fretless neck - this would allow me to fiddle with fretless but would not be of much use in a band setting.
[*]A fretted neck - this would be for when we play in standard tuning etc and as a general backup or second bass.
[/list]
The backstory:

I made a Warmoth Jazz V that was smashing. I used the neck from it for a PJ bass that is also smashing. I now have the Jazz body sitting in a cupboard. The project details and build diary are [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/120798-warmoth-build-jazz-bass-v-60s-styling-modern-twist"]here[/url].

There. That should be enough info to keep everything as objective as possible!

Jim, if you can make the fretted to something that sounds / feels different than the main bass you have then go for the fretted version because it'd make sense.

But I'd go for the fretless way. Still you can use as a backup instrument (well, sort of) and you will discover new things by playing fretless.. And can fret it later if you don't like it.

My experience is that playing fretless can be quite an undertaking but it teaches you a lot regardless whether you can apply it to your current band or not.

[quote name='philw' timestamp='1424170975' post='2693326']
I heard (in a TED lecture) a brilliant way of resolving head/heart conflicts a while a go. It went something like this:

"Allow yourself to follow your heart by trusting your head to deal with the consequences". There you are, sorted, go fretless.

P
[/quote]

I like that. I like that a lot.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1424177264' post='2693454']
I like that. I like that a lot.
[/quote]

Although of course, as a kind of illustrative health warning, I did indeed follow that philosophy a little while ago and got my heart broken. All my head had to say on the matter was, "You stupid arse, you bloody knew that was probably going to happen but still you did it!"…..

P

[quote name='philw' timestamp='1424170975' post='2693326']
I heard (in a TED lecture) a brilliant way of resolving head/heart conflicts a while a go. It went something like this:

"Allow yourself to follow your heart by trusting your head to deal with the consequences". There you are, sorted, go fretless.
[/quote]

[quote name='philw' timestamp='1424181340' post='2693519']
Although of course, as a kind of illustrative health warning, I did indeed follow that philosophy a little while ago and got my heart broken. All my head had to say on the matter was, "You stupid arse, you bloody knew that was probably going to happen but still you did it!"…..
[/quote]

That was very funny indeed!

[quote name='inate_hex' timestamp='1424194764' post='2693710']
If it was me I would go with fretted. I've dabbled with fretless and it was not for me. I didn't like the sound.if you don't try it, then you will never know if you like it or not.
[/quote]

Thanks for your input. It is nice to have someone suggesting fretted. I happen to have an unfinished fretless project bass here that I have a fiddle with now and then and I am a great fan of the sound and feel of a fretless.

I intentionally gave sparse information above to try and keep this based in rational thinking rather than emotional stuff.

The fretless neck would be this bass's last neck. A fretted neck would, at a later point, go to a sunburst Jazz body to make a fretted workhorse and I would end up purchasing a fretless neck for this body. In a sense, it would give the body a feeling of completion and finality and would give a feeling of completeness to the new bass too. Yes, I know that this is verging on the insane, but it seems like a valid point in my mind.