Why become a member? ×

Overwater..How good are they??

bubinga5

Im in the market for a new bass as soom may have noticed my endless posts on the matter... :) ..My short list is Lakland, Sadowsky, Mike Lull (which im very keen on)..What i would like to know is how good are Overwater in this company. My max budget is £2000.00 or there abouts..I have spotted a few Overwaters i like in my price range...

I would be interested in the J style bass. Dont see many about??? Apart from an orange one on here, cant remember the chaps name??

Anyone know of any soundclips of any overwaters??

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='261218' date='Aug 12 2008, 10:29 PM']There are a few Overwater users on here - have you tried the search?

How did you arrive at your shortlist? No GB, ACG, Status or Shuker?[/quote]
Well to be honest it is just asthetical at the moment..Im a Jazz bass man really...Have looked at Shuker and GB, but to be honest im too impatient to wait for the build. :huh: ..I have yet to try many basses so really i will buy what i like the sound and feel of..Never know i may buy something totally different..I will go to tha Gallery, Bass Direct, etc..

Sei an option also!!!

Thanks BF.. :)

My only experience of Overwater was playing one of the original offset body ones in a shop when I was a student. I can honestly say I fell in love instantly. It was the best feeling and sounding bass I'd ever played up to that point. I haven't played any of the modern ones, but I hope to try a couple at the next bash.

I did look at Overwater and quite a few others before I placed the order for my Sei.

So just to put a cat amongst the pigeons, The Gallery have a Sei Jazz 5 in stock (think it was put up for sale here).

Don't forget to have a look in the USA (Bass Central & Bass NW for starters) for Mike Lulls, NYC Sadowskys and the like. Still bargains to be had even though the US$ is bouncing back a bit at the moment.

I've got a Progress III and it's the nicest sounding bass I've ever heard. The only complaints I've ever heard about them are that people don't like the longer scale lengths as OW tend to build a lot of 35" and 36" scale basses. If you're going to be spending £2000 then you need to try the basses first. It's be worth calling OW and popping in to their showroom, they're really helpful.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=23453&st=0"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=23453&st=0[/url]

This is a previous thread about overwaters, I love them, they have been my main gigging bass for 20years.

Good luck in your search
Dave

Not tried any of the Jazz style, but their own design are very good - up with the Wal/Jaydee/Sei/GB/Shuker competition. The extra scale lengths on 5/6 strings can take some getting used to, and the pickups and eq can seem a bit tame, but are designed to be useful rather than just impressive.

If you can get there to try them do - Chris is really helpful and informative. One thing to note is that they distribute Acoustic Image and Euphonic Audio amps, so they have them there to try - but these are unusually clean and neutral sounding. If you are used to something a bit more "voiced" or aggressive then take this into consideration when you try the basses.

With your budget you shouldn't find it too hard to find "your" jazz bass. I guess the difficult bit is do you really want something traditional, or the modernised active version? I'd go for the best "trad-jazz" I could find, and buy the Sadowsky preamp pedal for those "need more eq" moments.

Have fun

BB

Hey Bubinga 5,

Just noticed you are Cheltenham based, do you know Aroundabout sound by any chance? The owner is selling his GB spitfire, it is absolutely stunning but it is a four string (didn'y know what you were after).

I have tried a few overwaters, a friend has a 6 string and I tried nearly all of the basses at the stand at the london guitar show this year. Overwaters are beautifully made and look stunning but as some others have said it depends what you are after.

My friend used his in a rock band with a Euphonic Audio Iamp 800 and to be honest it was gutless and didn't cut through in a hard rock band (may just have been him not using it right) but I found the sound very mellow. (incidentally he used a warwick and an Ashdown next gig in the same venue and it was HUGE!) I dont want to offend any Overwater owners, they are stunning but not right for my ears!

I prefer a much more punchy stingray tone so maybe that is why it did not rock my world. The OW Jazz I tried was better but again it just didn't do it for me, I just found it lacking in balls especially after going and playing a lakland.

The GB in Cheltenham is amazing and in fact I nearly maxed out a credit card and bought it, just ask them as it is not out on show.

Anyway I hope you find something, Head to the gallery in London probably the best idea, might even pick up something secondhand and save a few quid

[quote name='NJE' post='261444' date='Aug 13 2008, 11:17 AM']Hey Bubinga 5,

Just noticed you are Cheltenham based, do you know Aroundabout sound by any chance? The owner is selling his GB spitfire, it is absolutely stunning but it is a four string (didn'y know what you were after).

I have tried a few overwaters, a friend has a 6 string and I tried nearly all of the basses at the stand at the london guitar show this year. Overwaters are beautifully made and look stunning but as some others have said it depends what you are after.

My friend used his in a rock band with a Euphonic Audio Iamp 800 and to be honest it was gutless and didn't cut through in a hard rock band (may just have been him not using it right) but I found the sound very mellow. (incidentally he used a warwick and an Ashdown next gig in the same venue and it was HUGE!) I dont want to offend any Overwater owners, they are stunning but not right for my ears!

I prefer a much more punchy stingray tone so maybe that is why it did not rock my world. The OW Jazz I tried was better but again it just didn't do it for me, I just found it lacking in balls especially after going and playing a lakland.

The GB in Cheltenham is amazing and in fact I nearly maxed out a credit card and bought it, just ask them as it is not out on show.

Anyway I hope you find something, Head to the gallery in London probably the best idea, might even pick up something secondhand and save a few quid[/quote]
Hello mate, yes i know them..that is where i bought my first bass..Wow i will check that GB out..Thanks man!!

[quote name='NJE' post='261444' date='Aug 13 2008, 11:17 AM']My friend used his in a rock band with a Euphonic Audio Iamp 800 and to be honest it was gutless and didn't cut through in a hard rock band (may just have been him not using it right) but I found the sound very mellow. (incidentally he used a warwick and an Ashdown next gig in the same venue and it was HUGE!) I dont want to offend any Overwater owners, they are stunning but not right for my ears![/quote]

It is all personal taste, however i would suggest its your mates rig that was possibly at fault. I use an overwater all the time gigging in a 3 piece, I use a rack system and 8x10 and get nothing but compliments about the cut and balls of my sound, Overwaters are designed to sound like the wood and construction of the instrument. If you want a character eq and pick ups, stick some in but as mentioned by others in the thread the build quality and playability is second to none.

Dave

[quote name='cd_david' post='261453' date='Aug 13 2008, 11:35 AM']It is all personal taste, however i would suggest its your mates rig that was possibly at fault. I use an overwater all the time gigging in a 3 piece, I use a rack system and 8x10 and get nothing but compliments about the cut and balls of my sound, Overwaters are designed to sound like the wood and construction of the instrument. If you want a character eq and pick ups, stick some in but as mentioned by others in the thread the build quality and playability is second to none.

Dave[/quote]

Quite possibly was his rig actually, he is a bit of a plug and play kinda guy and never seemed to bothered about sound, or looking after his very expensive 6 string.

I just want to say it did sound like I was having an overwater bash....I really wasn't. They each sound very different, in fact the one that I really liked was the bolt on perception model...absolutely stonking, I actually preffered it to the big posh boys. They are stunningly built and the owner Chris May? was so very nice to me at the stand.

As everyone has said, try as many as you can, it really is the only way when spending this much cash I think.

I recently picked this one up secondhand.

Put simply, its the best bass I've ever owned/played.

I've been an admirer of Chris May's work all the way back to the days of Chris and Andy's on High Bridge in Newcastle, but like many, have never had the money or patience to commission a custom build of my own.

When this one came up on eBay with no takers, a swift exchange of emails and a trip to Cockermouth saw her become mine. Despite her being just eleven months old and just over half of the factory price, believe it or not, it was the spec that attracted me.

The body is tulipwood (not one I have come across before as a tone wood) with a nicely flamed maple neck and rosewood fret board. Hardware is by Schaller with DiMarzio Ultra Jazz Pups and a J-Retro circuit. Three colour sunburst (which the photos dont do justice to) with a tort scratchplate. Colour matched headstock.

Plays like an absolute dream and the low B speaks so well you find yourself looking for excuses to use it. Scale length is 35" and I had no problem adjusting.

I have just finished my first run of gigs with this baby and I am so pleased with her. She balances excellently on the strap. In a four piece she cuts through the mix nicely, really filling / rounding out the lower mid range and bass enc of things. For the first time in my life, I have such an even string response that i can actually hear the little fills and widdles etc on stage, oh and chords just ring out so cleanly.

She's so good, I havent been back on eBay since I bought her.

[quote name='NJE' post='261444' date='Aug 13 2008, 11:17 AM']....Just noticed you are Cheltenham based, do you know Aroundabout sound by any chance? The owner is selling his GB spitfire, it is absolutely stunning but it is a four string (didn'y know what you were after)...........[/quote]
Sounds like an offer you cant refuse :)

[quote name='BassBod' post='261572' date='Aug 13 2008, 02:31 PM']If there is one amp that isn't plug'n'play rock'n'roll.....its the EA. You can make them Rock, but it takes a few presets and some experience (and maybe a Sansamp... and a wobbly stage).

BB[/quote]

Absolutely. I have never, ever got a sound I like out of an EA rig. The amps are ok(ish) but I hate the cabs. I know Chris & Laurence and they're lovely, helpful guys, and the basses are beautifully made (loving the Evolutions and Perceptions BTW), but I just can't get to grips with what they sound like through EA. If I was trying one I'd have to take a different rig (and may do one day as I'd like one very much). EA are definitely not my thing.

[quote name='NJE' post='261478' date='Aug 13 2008, 12:29 PM']Quite possibly was his rig actually, he is a bit of a plug and play kinda guy and never seemed to bothered about sound, or looking after his very expensive 6 string.
I just want to say it did sound like I was having an overwater bash....I really wasn't.[/quote]

Hi

I realised that and hope you dont think i came in strong, the point i was trying to make was that the basses have the ability to sound very neutral and combined with an amp like the EA i was surprised with the description of the sound.

I've experienced a lot of instruments that have too much eq or character and when coupled with certain amps they can sound muddy, But as mentioned earlier its all down to personal taste and i suppose the context your using the gear in.

Thanks
Dave

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='262000' date='Aug 13 2008, 10:31 PM']JPJ, I've looked at the jazz in the same 3TS as yours on the Overwater website many, many times. Stunning looking basses. Glad you're happy with it :)[/quote]

Cheers mate,

Got to admit mine looks much better in the flesh than in that photo, less yellowy and more browns and red. In fact, the sides are more brown/maroon than black. Got to say that I am now a fan of 35" scale length for the 'B'. The B speaks with such authority and without the latency which is apparent on my other to 34" 5 scale fivers.

As some may know, I am pretty old skool when it comes to tone, so I run the bass with a slight bias towards the bridge (I'm a fingers player) a miniscule mid-cut on the J-Retro with everything flat on my SWR750. Throught the combination of the golly & SoB its just a huge on stage sound, more than capable of filling the lower registers of a four piece classic rock band (drums, guitar, vox, bass).

I know that Shuker seems to be the luthier of choice on Basschat, but for me, you'll have to go a very long way indeed to beat Overwater for playability, tone and sheer quality of build.

[quote name='JPJ' post='262302' date='Aug 14 2008, 11:56 AM']I know that Shuker seems to be the luthier of choice on Basschat, but for me, you'll have to go a very long way indeed to beat Overwater for playability, tone and sheer quality of build.[/quote]
They just make more noise :)