Why become a member? ×

Connecting Cabs to Amp?

Papabull

Hi all
Can anyone explain if there is any difference regarding connecting 2 cabs to one amp?
I'm using a Gene Benz Streamliner 900 to connect to two Mark Bass cabs ( 1x15 and a 2x10) both 8 ohm at 400 watts each. Basically I need to know….

1. if i should daisy chain the cabs . i.e take one output from the Streamliner to the 2 x10 and then from the back of the 2 x 10 to the 1 x15 or

2. Take two separate outs from the amp to each speaker ( The Streamline has 2 speakon outs)

Hope all of the above makes sense. Please don't be afraid of calling me a Twazock ( or worse) if it doesn't make any difference.

Cheers

The PB

I don't think it makes a difference - but i don't know your amp. The amp will still see a 4 ohm load whatever. I've always daisy-chained as it was the only option available, but my latest amp has two speakon outs - so i've plugged a cab into each.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1423057247' post='2680082']
Electrically the result is identical. The only advantage to connecting the cabs indepently to the amp is that the current going to the second cab doesn't have to also go through the cord to the first. If your cords are of sufficient gauge that won't matter, but if they're undersized it might.
[/quote]

Hi Bill,

If I can borrow this thread for a moment, if you are using good quality leads does the length make any difference - just thinking the lower cab will need a long lead, whereas if you daisy chain you can use two shorter leads?

Thanks,
Mike

it will make no difference to your sound or reliability if you daisy chain or not, unless your cables are made of bell wire or each is excessively long. My OBBM cables are [s]1/2 [/s]meter.

Google speaker wire gauges.

Correction: My cables are 1 meter in length.

Edited by chris_b

If you have the option I would go for 1 cab per output for a very simple reason. If the cabs are daisy chained and the cable to the first cab breaks down you get complete silence. Using both outputs you have a degree of redundancy in that if 1 cable goes, you still have 1 cab working.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1423212539' post='2682177']
Hi Bill,
If I can borrow this thread for a moment, if you are using good quality leads does the length make any difference - just thinking the lower cab will need a long lead, whereas if you daisy chain you can use two shorter leads?
[/quote]Assuming you're not using seriously undergauge cables you're not going to have an issue with the six feet or less for a bass rig. It's with the long leads to PA speakers that you have to be wary.

I would go for a single cable for each cab TBH. Assuming the head is sat directly on top of the cabs, then a 0.5m cable for the top cab and a 1m cable for the bottom cab should be more than sufficient. Plump for a minimum of 4mm[sup]2[/sup] twin-core cable (Klotz or Canford Audio etc) and proper pro-grade Neutrik Speakons - I got cheaper Chinese knock-offs and randoms one time and they were rubbish.