Why become a member? ×

ACG Krell SC E Type 5 String

eude

I received a new ACG custom bass just before Xmas and I've finally had to time to record some samples and take some sexy photos.
Here's one picture for starters >>

The bass is phenomenal, better than I could ever have hoped.
It balances beautifully on a strap and particularly on the lap.
The natural tone of the instrument has a massive amount of punch and clarity, but using the preamp you can go from rootsy P Bass to super aggressive modern tones.

Here's the bass spec >>

Krell SC E Type Bolt-on
5 strings
33" Scale
Swamp Ash Body with Flamed Maple Top, whole body "coloured in" black.
5 piece Maple/Wenge/Purpleheart Neck
Pau Ferro Fingerboard
45mm Nut Width
18mm Spacing at the Bridge
Black Hardware throughout including Gotoh Resolite Tuners and Hipshot B Type Bridge
ACG PB pickup and RFB pickup, as close to the MM and Precision bass sweet spots as possible, adjusted for the shorter scale length and customised to fit in 40mm casings
Series/Parallel/Singlecoil switch for the RFB
ACG DFM 4K A/P Pre-amp consisting of 2 low pass filters, switchable treble boost, mid boost and a passive tone with active/passive switching.

OK, here's some more pics >>

Little picture showing the beveled edge detail >>

Finally, a picture showing the new SC Bolt-on neck joint, which really is a thing of beauty giving you fantastic access along with that nice bolt-on attack >>

OK, and now some sound samples >>

https://soundcloud.com/eudeboy/sets/acg-krell-sc-e-type-sample-sounds

The first lot of clips takes you through all the standard sounds available, playing the same line over and over, apologies for my playing.
There's then a few ditties showing some more tweaked sound available and use of the low B, which on this bass is amazing! It's really clear, defined and punchy :)

Yet again ACG have pulled it out the bag for me big time, I couldn't be happier, bar the fact I can't surrently afford to order some more ACGs...

Any questions, just shoot.

Eude

Thanks for the comments guys.
I'm delighted with this bass, I really am.

I'm glad you appreciate the sound samples too, crazy thing is, this is all just using the filters wide open, at least on the repetitive piece, so those tones are only scratching the surface!
I'll try and do some more examples using the filters soon, but the 3 ditties at the end have tones sculpted using the filters, but without combining the pickups.

I'm going to do some more recordings with my other ACGs soo, including my fretless where the filter preamp really excels!

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1422294402' post='2670813']
Killer bass. I've been in touch with Alan about a possible lefty.
Love the look of this one. Were we talking crazy money here?
[/quote]

Not crazy money, especially when you consider what it would cost to have another luthier produce something similar. Alan's prices are amazing value for money, but with the basses being custom, the pricing varies. Your best bet is to speak to the man himself, but I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised!

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1422300497' post='2670935']
Bass looks great! Sounds fantastic too, especially the bridge pickup! Good call on getting it in a MM sweetspot and thanks for the sound samples :)
[/quote]

Yup, I think the bridge pickup going in the MM location was a real success. I'm not a big fan of thin sounding bridge pickups, and although that's not been a problem on any ACG I've owned previously, I love that MM sweetspot tone, so it was a no brainer :)

Eude