Why become a member? ×

Ibaneeezes

Faithless

[quote name='The Burpster' post='420368' date='Feb 26 2009, 10:23 PM']Seein' as there is soooooo much Ibby lurve out there I thought I'd pin this one![/quote]

VICTORY! :P

I'm taking all those felicitations and floral tributes directly.. ;)

Kiddin'.

And, guys, don't let this go down - let's keep it at the top! :)

Cheers everyone, esp Burpster,
Fellow Ibbiophyle,
Faith.

My ATK400, which is for sale:

[attachment=21149:DSCN2194.JPG]

[attachment=21150:DSCN2195.JPG]

My K5 with an ACG EQ02 pre amp. this one is a definite keeper, although a pick up change may be in order...

[attachment=21151:10052007027.jpg]

i also have an SRX700, which is also for sale and a GSR200 which was my first bass and is untouchable!!!

the reason i am selling the other two is that the K5 is pretty much all i want to play.

when i swapped the K% for my model t, i thought i would have it for a couple of weeks max as my first try of a five string had not went so well, but when i played the K5 it was an epiphany, it felt great.

i didn't really get on with the sound in a live situatio which may have been due to a lot of factors but it prompted me to buy the ACG pre amp and since then i have never looked back.

it is a great bass, the only thing is the big inlay, if that were a plain fretboard....

if any of you want to try a five, i would sugest searching out one of these as they are class.

• 3 weeks later...

A semi? You have a great deal of control!

I don't think it is custom shop but maybe limited edition.
Heres what i know: I bought it from America where it was made in 2006, it is 'used' but i think it must have only been a dissatisfyed customer who sent it back because there is no wear at all and the strings were completely new (First time i've experienced Elixir strings... they're like condoms over my strings...).

The top is Mahogany and the other half of the wings are made from bubinga, it's top is quilted but the bottom isn't. Anyone whose played with these Barts will know hoe beautiful they are, they are briliant, but sadly render the GP11 in my Trace head almost useless (for now).

Thanks for the envy guys :)

Jamie

[quote name='benzies123' post='441158' date='Mar 21 2009, 05:13 PM']A semi? You have a great deal of control!

I don't think it is custom shop but maybe limited edition.
Heres what i know: I bought it from America where it was made in 2006, it is 'used' but i think it must have only been a dissatisfyed customer who sent it back because there is no wear at all and the strings were completely new (First time i've experienced Elixir strings... they're like condoms over my strings...).

The top is Mahogany and the other half of the wings are made from bubinga, it's top is quilted but the bottom isn't. Anyone whose played with these Barts will know hoe beautiful they are, they are briliant, but sadly render the GP11 in my Trace head almost useless (for now).

Thanks for the envy guys :)

Jamie[/quote]

Those barts are indeed lovely. My SR20th has them and I love their tight sound. Though I still have plenty of use for my Trace 12-band :rolleyes:

I'm sure I saw this on Talkbass, so it may have been a limited edition as you say. In any case, it's one of the nicest looking Ibanez I've seen. The only thing it's missing is a Wenge fretboard - my favourite fretboard wood.

Speaking of which, check out the link in one of my previous postings on this thread to see this year's addition to the SR range - probably the finest Ibanez I've seen and an absolute dream for all fans of the Wenge.

[quote name='geilerbass' post='441253' date='Mar 21 2009, 07:26 PM']Those barts are indeed lovely. My SR20th has them and I love their tight sound. Though I still have plenty of use for my Trace 12-band :)

I'm sure I saw this on Talkbass, so it may have been a limited edition as you say. In any case, it's one of the nicest looking Ibanez I've seen. The only thing it's missing is a Wenge fretboard - my favourite fretboard wood.

Speaking of which, check out the link in one of my previous postings on this thread to see this year's addition to the SR range - probably the finest Ibanez I've seen and an absolute dream for all fans of the Wenge.[/quote]

I have already spied them out, they are indeed fine... although they do cost £2000, so i wont be getting one of them soon.

I think the one on Talkbass has a burled Poplar top instead of ye olde mahogany.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

I thought, I'd pop here in, as I have a problem with my Ibby.. :)

It's about string tension and MR-IV bridge on my SR1005 Prestige..

Well, I've started playing on bridge pup a la Jaco style (heavy diggin' in), and I feel that string tension by the bridge pup is just too high/heavy - it's not comfortable at all, if you try to 'dig in'...

So, I was curious, if there's any way to lower the string tension?

My Ibby has MR-IV bridge (if it does make sense)..

[quote name='Faithless' post='466639' date='Apr 19 2009, 11:52 AM']I thought, I'd pop here in, as I have a problem with my Ibby.. :)

It's about string tension and MR-IV bridge on my SR1005 Prestige..

Well, I've started playing on bridge pup a la Jaco style (heavy diggin' in), and I feel that string tension by the bridge pup is just too high/heavy - it's not comfortable at all, if you try to 'dig in'...

So, I was curious, if there's any way to lower the string tension?

My Ibby has MR-IV bridge (if it does make sense)..[/quote]

it is very tight, i like it personally, but i can understand not liking it.

wouldn't thicker (i forget the term now) strings do the job? i dunno why, particularly, but that was what i thought of as soon as i read your post.

EDIT: btw, i don't think i've posted pics of my beloved ibby on here, yet. i'll take some later, or tommorow or something.

Edited by LWTAIT

Well, I actually like it [i]tight[/i], but, compared to my other bass, I know, that the tension on my SR [i]could [/i]be a bit lighter/lower..

Interesting thing - Paul_C advised me just opposite - lighter strings.. :)

And, you kno', at the moment I'm using 50-135, and you could hardly get even [i]thicker [/i]strings, well, at least, I couldn't..

[quote name='Faithless' post='466730' date='Apr 19 2009, 02:06 PM']Well, I actually like it [i]tight[/i], but, compared to my other bass, I know, that the tension on my SR [i]could [/i]be a bit lighter/lower..

And, you kno', at the moment I'm using 50-135, and you could hardly get even [i]thicker [/i]strings, well, at least, I couldn't..[/quote]

probably is lighter strings then, i can't say i know much about the difference in strings tbh, i've been using the same type of strings for ages, ernie ball super slinkies, although now i say that, i'm using hybrid slinkies on my taitycaster atm, which i prefer. not that that makes any difference to you whatsoever. anyway, yeah, i'd go for lighter strings then, because my guess is that paul_c knows better than me.

[quote name='Faithless' post='466730' date='Apr 19 2009, 02:06 PM']Well, I actually like it [i]tight[/i], but, compared to my other bass, I know, that the tension on my SR [i]could [/i]be a bit lighter/lower..

And, you kno', at the moment I'm using 50-135, and you could hardly get even [i]thicker [/i]strings, well, at least, I couldn't..[/quote]

Definitely use lighter strings. Try something like 45-65-85-105-130.

Essentially, the higher the gauge of the string, the higher the tension required to produce the note that the string is meant to be tuned to. So higher gauge strings need to be more taught than lower gauge ones, to get the same note on either.

Conversely, that's why it's often advisable to use a fatter B-string, since on a lot of 34" scale basses, this can sound 'flabby' if the gauge is too light.

yeah, now i think about it, it is logical to use lighter strings. a fatter B string means the tension is greater for that B string, so thinner strings will make the tension less. i dunno why i thought fatter strings would be the answer, it just seemed right to me :S

[quote name='geilerbass' post='421210' date='Feb 27 2009, 07:30 PM']Just saw these beauties on the Ibanez website...

[url="http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/model-SR5005E"]New SR Prestige[/url]

Oh my word...[/quote]

WANT!

I've been looking for a fretted 5 to go with my GWB35 and that looks nice, but I don't really have a need as such for a fretted bass as I really love my GWB35 so much i sold all my other basses (minus my upright)

I suppose here is another good place to show off my only bass:

[attachment=24192:gwb_bass.jpg]

GWB35 (upgraded with a nordstrand dual coil and Bee Pre) bought from a Talkbass user early last year.

Edited by Mikey D

My '96 ATK300 and '98 ATK305, both MIJ:

[url="http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f74/de_slager/Ibanez%20ATK/?action=view&current=ATK3.jpg"][/url] [url="http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f74/de_slager/Ibanez%20ATK/?action=view&current=ATK5.jpg"][/url] [url="http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f74/de_slager/Ibanez%20ATK/?action=view&current=ATK4.jpg"][/url]

I also used to own an '87 SR800LE, and I've had two Ibanez guitars in the past (an RG470 and an amazing RG550 that I wish I never sold).

• 3 weeks later...

Who can tell me anything about Ibanez Roadster basses? I can buy this '84(? could also be 87 I think) for (only?) 450 euro's and it looks like a good bass to me! Also it meets my wishes (J/P)

Edited by MuseMatt