Why become a member? ×

Manson bass with wal pick ups. Any info would be great!

Stoney

Hi all

Not long ago I picked up this little beauty, but can t find any information on it what so ever! I have contacted Manson and they never kept any records of the bass, so it can't be dated. Hugh confirmed that he made it, but can't remember when.
I'd be greatful for any info. I think the electronics are the same as a wals, I haven't actualy seen a real wal so not sure.

Such an interesting bass! Until I saw pictures of this I never thought Wal electronics were fitted in anything but a Wal. I think they have been fitted to Sei basses before too!

But yes, from the pictures it certainly seems to have Wal pickups and a Wal preamp. Such a cool instrument!

No he couldn't sadly. It has no serial number and no records were kept it has everyone at mansons puzzled! . He does however remember making it though. I purchased it from a chap on gum tree. He said it was a custom made job for the original owner but that's all he knew. But of a mystery bass!

Well I know a bit about this bass because I had it built and I am sat here looking at photos I took of it along with two other Mansons I owned at the time. One was a Kestrel with Kent Armstrong pickups and the other was a 5 string lined fretless that was built for John Giblin and which he played on 'The Lady in red' (Chris de Burgh). I don't recall how it came to be back at Hugh Manson's but evidently it wasn't quite what he wanted at the time and bought it.

From memory, I would say the Wal/Manson was built in 1988. I took a picture of a Jaydee down to Hugh Manson (he had a workshop at the bottom of his garden in Devon) and asked if he could make one identical (well done to the previous poster who spotted the likeness).
As it happened, he made it to his template shape which was a bit of a disappointment, but the colour was the same Gibson cherry red that John Diggins was using for the Mark King basses at around that time.

The pickups and electronics were, indeed, Wal. They arrived at Hugh's set in a block of wood, almost as if a section of a Wal bass had been cut out. I'm not sure if I asked for Wal electronics or he suggested it. I remember Hugh commenting that the magnets in the pickups were so strong that you'd never get them off the fridge door. Funny how you remember these little details!! I seem to recall that you couldn't buy Jaydee stuff at that time. The bridge was the last one of a batch that had been custom made for Manson basses - a solid brass work of art.

I didn't keep the bass long, partly because it only half resembled that Jaydee I asked him to make, and partly because I didn't get on with the Wal active circuitry. I believe the second owner was from Bristol - in those days you paid for a week's ad in the newspaper and hoped to God that someone would see it before you had to pay for a second week!

I have to say that it appears to have been well looked after and seeing the pictures makes me think of the pear drops smell of the two pack paint that was used for the finish. If I can figure how to save a scan in Windows bloody 8 I will post a pic of it with its siblings.

Edited by GILLY