Why become a member? ×

Found a new vintage guitar/bass/amp shop in London, and it's excellent.

xilddx

[quote name='Johnm93' timestamp='1421707880' post='2664263']
Aye, but massive shame about The 12 Bar Club.
[/quote]
They'll move somewhere else. It's the brand that matters most for them. All that bollocks about the Bull & Gate closing. No-one gave a f*** about the Bull & Gate until it closed.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1421708070' post='2664269']
They'll move somewhere else. It's the brand that matters most for them. All that bollocks about the Bull & Gate closing. No-one gave a f*** about the Bull & Gate until it closed.
[/quote]
They've already moved somewhere else. My band had the pleasure of being the first to play on the new stage last Friday by virtue of sound checking first... but I did love the old venue (as did Barnet, the manager of the 12 Bar - it's not always all about the brand you know Nige).

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1421714540' post='2664347']
They've already moved somewhere else. My band had the pleasure of being the first to play on the new stage last Friday by virtue of sound checking first... but I did love the old venue (as did Barnet, the manager of the 12 Bar - it's not always all about the brand you know Nige).
[/quote]

What I meant was they will probably survive. Delighted to hear they have!

I know, it was a quirky venue with some charm.

I find some of this Denmark St bashing quite bizarre and short sighted at times. Here is a thread praising a new shop which has 3 ex Denmark St guys, each with well over 10 years experience of working there - go figure.

Sure, there are, have been and always will be some tossers working there, even the odd dodgy shop from time to time. There are also guys who aren't born with customer service instinct, awareness or skills and therefore need time to develop them or move on. But there are plenty of good guys and good businesses there that don't deserve to be unfairly and damagingly tarnished with the same brush. There is big love here for Wunjo Bass, and rightly so, it's a shame they are caught up in this. To let one bad apple spoil the bunch is quite petty indeed.

I spent many years in MI - retail and on the road working for Fender. From my exeprience, there is no perfect shop - all will have a bad day or a bad guy working there from time to time. I could tell you a horror story or two about many shops that are mentioned here with praise - aside from Bass Direct too. Unless of course I consider that Mark isn't too fond on Fender Custom Shop, though with all those lovely boutique basses there who am I to argue? :)

Edited by Chiliwailer

Nice response from the OP about Denmark St whilst moaning about me and others making a comment about Shoreditch hipsters. Nice to see the owners have their Shoreditch uniform (beards) in place.

Actually I hope to go there and I hope they do well, but no need to bash Denmark St. Have you seen the development behind Denmark St.? Awful orange and green towers, is that the kind of thing you want for London regardless of what you actually think of the shops there? I mean do we really need more Starbucks, Tesco Metros and Jamie Olivers?

I was originally going to apologise for my comments as they upset you so much, but seeing your comment I now don't give a sh*t.

[quote name='Mr Arkadin' timestamp='1421748319' post='2664452']

Have you seen the development behind Denmark St.? Awful orange and green towers, is that the kind of thing you want for London regardless of what you actually think of the shops there?
[/quote]

I watched those towers being built from my office window (just behind Denmark Street) and thought the colours were temporary for a while.

I don't like the external design but the interior is amazing in places. I've had quite a few meetings there and the roof garden canteen area is particularly nice.

It's the UK HQ of Google and just the sort of thing that's good for central London. They could easily have gone for a, much cheaper, location but it feels like a good thing to me to bring a young vibrant business into the centre of the city.

Having worked on the edge of Denmark Street for a long time I'll miss the history of the area if it goes but, as a customer, my experiences both with customer service and instruments have been invariably poor.

I'm sure there have been/ still are some good guys there but I've only ever experienced arrogant, uncaring service from virtually every shop I've visited (Wunjos being the lone exception) so I definitely won't miss that :(

I know what you mean about service, but I don't see why development of an area has to mean knocking down some great buildings. Internally they could be revamped and externally most just need a clean. If the shops and staff don't cut it, yes get rid off them, but keep the charm of the area. Do glass and steel towers really make London unique against modern cities with no history, like characterless places like Dubai?

When the Astoria went that was the death knell for the area. Once something's gone it usually remains gone, look at the Marquee Club.

Edited by Mr Arkadin

I agree totally with the sentiment about all the modern towers. Some are really dull and the whole globalisation of identikit buildings and retail outlets resulting in a loss of identity is sad to see.

I don't know what the plans are for Denmark Street so can't comment on whether they will re-locate or take up space in a new development (the latter probably too expensive).

I'll miss the 'idea' and history of Denmark Street but, as a regular visitor (literally every weekday for many years) it lost its charm for me many years ago and became something of a parody of itself and I certainly won't miss that at all.

Also agree about the Marquee. The Wardour Street location was like a 2nd home for me for many years for all its faults. I also liked the Astoria (but always wondered what would happen if there was ever a fire because the exits were awful!).

However some of the newer venues that have popped up are often better in terms of sound, access, viewing angles etc. etc Unfortunately they've lost the charm and history but can be better places to visit. The biggest problem for me is the re-location away from the centre of town making them harder to get to.

Hopefully the new Shoreditch shop is an example of people moving to a new location and reinventing things to keep them fresh and interesting, without losing the core focus, so let's hope we see more of these springing up :)

Edited by molan

Nice response from the OP about Denmark St whilst moaning about me and others making a comment about Shoreditch hipsters. Nice to see the owners have their Shoreditch uniform (beards) in place.

Actually I hope to go there and I hope they do well, but no need to bash Denmark St. Have you seen the development behind Denmark St.? Awful orange and green towers, is that the kind of thing you want for London regardless of what you actually think of the shops there? I mean do we really need more Starbucks, Tesco Metros and Jamie Olivers?

I was originally going to apologise for my comments as they upset you so much, but seeing your comment I now don't give a sh*t.
[/quote]
Ok sweetie.

Not upset at all.

Have you seen the development behind Denmark St.? Awful orange and green towers, is that the kind of thing you want for London regardless of what you actually think of the shops there?
[/quote]

I'm in that building quite often, and it's fab inside. The roof garden is amazing.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1421753618' post='2664512']
However some of the newer venues that have popped up are often better in terms of sound, access, viewing angles etc. etc Unfortunately they've lost the charm and history but can be better places to visit.
[/quote]

Where are these places? All I see is smaller venues closing down (played the Buffalo Bar at the end of last year - one of the last gigs that'll ever happen there). Hammersmith Palais - demolished, Marquee - closed, Astoria demolished, Coronet - due for closure. I'm just glad plaes like Corsica are still going.

These size of slightly grungy venues are disappearing in London and are being killed by gentrification and global identikit buildings. I thought we'd learned from our post-war vandalism of knocking down perfectly decent (and sometimes historic) buildings for cheap concrete structures, which haven't aged well and in a very short time are themseleves being demolished.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1421749446' post='2664460']
I watched those towers being built from my office window (just behind Denmark Street) and thought the colours were temporary for a while.[/quote]

So did I. :(

[quote]It's the UK HQ of Google and just the sort of thing that's good for central London. They could easily have gone for a, much cheaper, location but it feels like a good thing to me to bring a young vibrant business into the centre of the city.[/quote]

They're moving out! :lol:

[quote name='Mr Arkadin' timestamp='1421759522' post='2664600']
Where are these places? All I see is smaller venues closing down (played the Buffalo Bar at the end of last year - one of the last gigs that'll ever happen there). Hammersmith Palais - demolished, Marquee - closed, Astoria demolished, Coronet - due for closure. I'm just glad plaes like Corsica are still going.
[/quote]

There are a lot of new places about, although it'll mean a trip to East London! :lol:

Edit: Or indeed the Holloway Rd, home to the new phase of the 12 Bar Club.

Edited by Musky

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1421739235' post='2664384']
What I meant was they will probably survive. Delighted to hear they have!

I know, it was a quirky venue with some charm.
[/quote]
No worries Nige. I'm still a bit touchy about the 12 Bar as I loved the old place.

[quote name='Mr Arkadin' timestamp='1421759522' post='2664600']

[/quote]

I used to visit the Astoria for funk and soul gigs mostly and most of these have now moved to Indigo2 which, despite being further away for me, is an infinitely better venue to actually hear and see bands.

In fact it's really developed this particular market and there's loads more of this genre of bands playing the UK now.

Under The Bridge is another relatively new venue (at least it is for me). Also much nicer than some of the older dives I used to frequent.

Meaningful brand engagement. A buzzing gateway to London. Quick branded surprises. Capturing the playful spirit of Denmark St. Pop-up physical activities. Bringing us together.

*pukes*

[url="http://www.scottradnor.com/stgiles-outernet-retail-development-promo/"]http://www.scottradn...elopment-promo/[/url]

Edited by KK Jale

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1421858868' post='2665905']
Meaningful brand engagement. A buzzing gateway to London. Quick branded surprises. Capturing the playful spirit of Denmark St. Pop-up physical activities. Bringing us together.

*pukes*

[url="http://www.scottradnor.com/stgiles-outernet-retail-development-promo/"]http://www.scottradn...elopment-promo/[/url]
[/quote]

"All Design and no substance" :D

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1421858868' post='2665905']

*pukes*

[/quote]

*also pukes*