Why become a member? ×

My usa sub 5 stingray bass refinished ..

patrikmarky

Been a little bored this week ...I decided to get rid of the "textured " paint ..(which I hated ) on my usa sub 5 ...the rumours were that they didn't use the best graded woods for these so this was a gamble and some will frown on doing this but I'm quite pleased with ,I've ordered a nice tortoise pickguard and have no intention of selling this ever ever ..the big question is "should I do the neck and headstock "??..my feeling is no as I'll loose the decal .. but opinions would be appreciated ..

Edited by patrikmarky

Looks great, why we had to wait and pay for the Classic5 to get a normal Stingray 5 I will never know! You could get a EBMM logo once you have stripped it but then what Logo would you fit as its neither a Classic5 or an SR5, maybe just put the Ernie Ball musicman section of a logo on and seal it all up? or maybe try and get a SUB logo again?

That was my thought ..though my neck is still good ..the more I've looked at it the more I've thought leave it ..I think the tortoise pickguard will finish it nicely ..though I am saving for my classic but I'm stuck between black or sunburst ....

The natural and the black are still in the lineup, probably the only ones that have been available from the start.

Ive just noticed they have dropped the wording single piece from the body wood specs and the natural one in the photo does have a join up the middle, which my pre EB did to be fair but it looks like single piece bodies are getting rare?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Did this to mine a few years back, took months to get the finish off! Check out where it started though....

[URL=http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/AUT_6052.jpg.html][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/Beedster/AUT_6052.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

And after a few months of sandpaper...

[URL=http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/AUT_6131.jpg.html][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/Beedster/AUT_6131.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Great basses and as you say, one to keep

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1421445157' post='2661464']
The natural and the black are still in the lineup, probably the only ones that have been available from the start.

Ive just noticed they have dropped the wording single piece from the body wood specs and the natural one in the photo does have a join up the middle, which my pre EB did to be fair but it looks like single piece bodies are getting rare?
[/quote]
My sub is two pieces ...I've heard sandberg never use a single slab ,..as long as it's a good grain match ...colour wise I guess it all depends how long and what colours make if over here ...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1421445157' post='2661464']

[/quote]

Natural appeared around 2011/12 in the Classic series - pastels lasted about a year from 2010. Tobacco burst was the original Classic burst colour, replaced by retro burst (based on Sterling Ball's pre EB - 28th Stingray built), and now replaced by classic burst. They said they'd rotate the colours and they have done - one of the nicest they've made is raspberry sorbet (limited for Guitar Centre) - I wouldn't mind one to go with my coral red Classic!

That Sub looks great - they're all meant to have poplar bodies though - that looks v cool to me.

I wish I had grabbed a powder blue 5 at the time but I like my Tobacco which is quite rare I presume, how long did it last? and as we worked out mine is one of the very first 5s in the UK by the looks of it ( I forget march or may 2010 I think?), I could do with getting the original preamp checked as I pulled it for a John East as it felt a bit naff to me, any idea who could inspect it and let me know if it is normal or needs repairing DrT?