Why become a member? ×

My usa sub 5 stingray bass refinished ..

patrikmarky

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1421487587' post='2661765']
I wish I had grabbed a powder blue 5 at the time but I like my Tobacco which is quite rare I presume, how long did it last? and as we worked out mine is one of the very first 5s in the UK by the looks of it ( I forget march or may 2010 I think?), I could do with getting the original preamp checked as I pulled it for a John East as it felt a bit naff to me, any idea who could inspect it and let me know if it is normal or needs repairing DrT?
[/quote]

The retro burst started the same time as natural and replaced tobacco burst so I'd say it lasted 18 months/2 yrs. it's definitely a very early one (March 2010?) - I think it looks great and would say it may have been bought in from a U.S. seller. I may be wrong but the reason I say this is the first batch which came to the UK were dealer stock and 4 strings in colours such as white, tobacco burst and black etc - I know this because I was expecting mine to be in the shipment as I'd ordered as soon as they were available - it didn't turn up until the shipment in June of 2010 and was delayed by volcanic ash disrupting air flights!!!

The EQ should be a standard MM 2 band - you can compare with the pics of pre amps on Musicman.org. However having the mid sweep is a great option with the East. The MM 2 band is a great pre amp also - most good techs would be able to check it out for you but the Bass Gallery is a good bet (I've heard!). S and T might assist also (with a replacement 2 band EQ).

Fyi There's a powder blue 5 in the for sale thread on the EBMM forum right now if you fancy a second one!!

Thanks drT, as we thought nice early Classic5 then, my John East is just the 2 EQ without the mid sweep, its nice! It is definitely the proper 2 band that I took out but it just didn't set the world on fire like the Classic 4 I had tried at the bassday UK show or either of my pre EB stingrays even with a sizzlyGenz amp. Might be a duff pot or something so a tech would be the way forward as I want it to keep all original with the standard case etc that I dont use.

+1 on the Cutlass look a like too, good shout and I agree it looks cool, much better than a stock SUB imo. :D