Why become a member? ×

New Fenders for 2015, inc. USA Geddy Lee..

wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1421446224' post='2661485']

If you can't see why some people think the recent prototypes are... almost comical, there's no point trying to explain it. Clearly there's a difference in tastes going on here. Y'know, that's fine.
[/quote]

Wasn't the 2012 Prototype custom model a PJ with blocks - that might be up your street!

True it's all a matter of taste but terms like "clueless" I just don't get!!

That sandblast is close to the bone! In my years selling fenders in MI, I saw some real shocking finishes and models, but the thing is, people bough them as much as other people hated them! Fender have been doing this stuff oddball stuff for years, for those who want to be different or find beauty in our ugly, why change it?

I like the idea of the current Proto though, TV Jones make amazing pickups, that suit the look of an old school P Bass. my only problem with the Proto's is that the resale could be hard and low value, due to how different and off track they are. But isn't that the point of a Proto?

Even as a Fender user and liker I cant defend their business model, how much is their debt now? I really think only USA models should carry the Fender logo, clamp down on the QC even more although the new stuff appears fairly good, Squier for all the lower models and maybe Affinity by Squier or something for the entry level stuff?

[quote name='deaky' timestamp='1421446578' post='2661488']

Wasn't the 2012 Prototype custom model a PJ with blocks - that might be up your street!

True it's all a matter of taste but terms like "clueless" I just don't get!!
[/quote]

The 2012 was lovely. But the last couple have been pretty dreadful.

The thing is, the 2012 is the kind of thing that should be in their standard line. Even Lakland have one coming out.

What I'd love to see Fender CS doing for 2015, and not because I want one, but for a nice change, would be a regular P and J, not reliced, not vintage based, but a regular modern style with CS features like quarter sawn neck, hand selected light woods etc. Nowt against Relics, just saying.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1421447408' post='2661504']

The 2012 was lovely. But the last couple have been pretty dreadful.

The thing is, the 2012 is the kind of thing that should be in their standard line. Even Lakland have one coming out.
[/quote]

Isn't the Fender Hot Rod bass a PJ with blocks and that's a USA made model.

[quote name='deaky' timestamp='1421448206' post='2661522']
It's not far off if you compare the specs. Nevermind!
[/quote]

Well, it looks like a Jazz, it has a J profile neck and the P pickup isn't in the right place, but apart from that it's close.

That's probably Fender's logic too. :)

[quote name='deaky' timestamp='1421447866' post='2661512']
Isn't the Fender Hot Rod bass a PJ with blocks and that's a USA made model.
[/quote]

There's this in the CS line which is lovely (although this is a custom finish)

[URL=http://s80.photobucket.com/user/Beedster/media/RH9_zps0220a49f.jpg.html][IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/Beedster/RH9_zps0220a49f.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

OK, it's a Reggie Hamilton Sig albeit slightly better built than the MIM, but if you want a PJ-5 by Fender I think this is the only option.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1421448325' post='2661530']

Well, it looks like a Jazz, it has a J profile neck and the P pickup isn't in the right place, but apart from that it's close.

That's probably Fender's logic too. :)
[/quote]

Still a very nice looking bass tho

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1421444539' post='2661460']

I'd have no problem with these if they were in addition to stuff people have been asking for for years. A better selection of colours, more PJs, P's with blocks.. But they just keep coming out with nowt-nor-summink doggerel that no-one is going to buy.
[/quote]

Yes.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1421447549' post='2661509']
What I'd love to see Fender CS doing for 2015, and not because I want one, but for a nice change, would be a regular P and J, not reliced, not vintage based, but a regular modern style with CS features like quarter sawn neck, hand selected light woods etc. Nowt against Relics, just saying.
[/quote]

Yes.

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1421446665' post='2661492']
That sandblast is close to the bone! In my years selling fenders in MI, I saw some real shocking finishes and models, but the thing is, people bough them as much as other people hated them! Fender have been doing this stuff oddball stuff for years, for those who want to be different or find beauty in our ugly, why change it?
[/quote]

Fender have always had a somewhat eccentric approach to finishes on their instruments. Anyone remember the semi-transparent white from the late 70s? The first time I opened the box containing one of those I thought it was a mistake and the finishers had simply not sprayed a dense enough colour coat, but seeing the same finish applied to the whole range of instruments in the shop made me realise that it had to be deliberate. It always seemed to be applied to the most horrible grained wood as well and you could easily see the joins between the various pieces of wood used for the body.

A friend of mine has a Strat in this finish. It's now completely covered in postage stamps to disguise the fact.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1421496518' post='2661960']

Fender have always had a somewhat eccentric approach to finishes on their instruments. Anyone remember the semi-transparent white from the late 70s? The first time I opened the box containing one of those I thought it was a mistake and the finishers had simply not sprayed a dense enough colour coat, but seeing the same finish applied to the whole range of instruments in the shop made me realise that it had to be deliberate. It always seemed to be applied to the most horrible grained wood as well and you could easily see the joins between the various pieces of wood used for the body.

A friend of mine has a Strat in this finish. It's now completely covered in postage stamps to disguise the fact.
[/quote]

Absolutely, thought it was an awful refin from a sold colour bass first time I saw one!

How about the mid 70's Rhinestone Strat that Arbitor UK had permission to make...if you fancy a laugh Google those!

Let's not even start the Antigua debate either....

Edited by Chiliwailer

GAK have got the USA Geddy advertised:

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-american-geddy-lee-jazz-bas-black/109429

Anybody know why Fender are no longer using Badass bridges on the Geddy & the Steve Harris signature models, are they no longer available or something?