Why become a member? ×

What is that hole for?

Annoying Twit

Datum hole maybe, is there a mark on the back of the neck that you line up with the hole to make sure its aligned correctly before you tighten the screw? Cannot see why you would need one if its made to fit properly but if its cheap then maybe that's why. cannot see why you would need it for spraying as i have not see it before, but could be.

Rob :-)

Edited by big rob

If it was a Tony Goggle signature bass, that's where the volume pot would go for the neck LEDs. The brightness control for the pickups would be located on the headstock. Although after 1993 they perfected wireless technology enough that the brightness control could be located at the back of the room, on the bar counter by the Old Rosie tap.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1421275641' post='2659420']
Looking at the photos of those guitar bodies in the link you provided it looks like the handling tool has some kind of plate attached that's then screwed into the holes for the neck mounting screws... the mystery continues...
[/quote]

Eh..? Looks like a bolted-on handle to me.

[attachment=180972:Guit_Spra.jpg]

Edited by Dad3353

Waaay back when we had pianos made from recycled elephants , they brought out new cars called Mini Minors and Austin Sevens . They had big speedometers situated in the middle of the dashboard , between the driver and passenger . This was a cunning new design plan .
After the basic shell was assembled a huge rod ,entering through the boot and passing through the interior , located into the hole in the dash where the speedo would be and allowed the whole shell to be lifted and spun for the next anti-corrosion treatment part of the manufacturing process .

Same sort of idea as the hole in the guitar/bass bodies . Maybe.
See 3:58 ;
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3yWib9SF18[/media]

Ok , back to basses ,...... :blush:

[quote name='DaveFry' timestamp='1421328279' post='2659883']
Waaay back when we had pianos made from recycled elephants , they brought out new cars called Mini Minors and Austin Sevens . They had big speedometers situated in the middle of the dashboard , between the driver and passenger . This was a cunning new design plan .
After the basic shell was assembled a huge rod ,entering through the boot and passing through the interior , located into the hole in the dash where the speedo would be and allowed the whole shell to be lifted and spun for the next anti-corrosion treatment part of the manufacturing process .

Same sort of idea as the hole in the guitar/bass bodies . Maybe.
See 3:58 ;
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3yWib9SF18[/media]

Ok , back to basses ,...... :blush:
[/quote]

Might have been a convenient place to stick the pole, but also meant the same body could be left hand drive. Rustproofing on 60s BMCs ??? Trust me, it ididnt work [s]very well[/s] at all...

As for the hole in the body, my bitsa with what I am told is an east European body has one. Didnt someone make a P copy with an adjustable rake in the early 70s ? Or have I dreamt that bit.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1421276493' post='2659443']
Eh..? Looks like a bolted-on handle to me.

[attachment=180972:Guit_Spra.jpg]
[/quote]

That one does but the photos I looked at didn't show an obvious bolt like your image otherwise I'd have said so! :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just revisited the page and realised by jumping right to the end of that other thread I completely missed the photo you've highlighted LOL. So I was sort of right first time then (back at post #6) :D

Edited by HowieBass