Why become a member? ×

Closing songs! Any ideas?

Truckstop

We finish with two old Beatles: Rock'n'Roll Music and I Saw her Standing There and then Clapton's Wonderful Tonight. I'm trying to get our lead vocalist to introduce the last with the cheesy sentence starting "You really have been...."

We have perviously used One Day Like This (Elbow).

The Thin Lizzy thread reminded me of this - and it needs to be in context of the set; while I'm no [i]great[/i] Lizzy fan I don't think there's a better crowd-pleasing closer than this.... & you could of course - where possible - switch the place names in the lyrics to the venue or town being played.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhLZt6IjZM4[/media]

Edited by Big_Stu

We're sort of working on We've got to get out of this place as closer, lots of dirt and I move it down to the low B. When I get it right, it sounds colossal. When I get it wrong it turns to mush! Definitely a work in progress.

Nothing much original to add in the way of songs but I think an encore needs to bring a definite ending. If you've been rocking and the audience have all been up dancing then more of the same simply brings them asking for.... more of the same, so you have the same problem until you run out of songs or you leave them still asking for more, and ultimately without their proper climax (ooh er :blush: ). Play them a big sing along anthem and they seem to go home happy. With my last band With Or Without you did the trick and the added bonus is that you can repeat the chorus until they can sing no more. Hit the Road Jack works for us in the current band again because it stands out as different from everything that went before. My Indy/Pop band finished with All Along the Watchtower with the guitarist shredding until they'd had enough, again it worked because it was a change of pace/genre. In my disco days we ended with My Old Man's a Dustman, which really was a little different, but it worked strangely.

Edited by Phil Starr

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1420886657' post='2654508']
Hello all,

My band are in a bit of rut thinking of a carefully chosen last song. For many bands, their last song is something that is a kind of signature. A song that always goes down well, but is not the obvious 500 Miles, or Alright Now, Hey Jude or whatever.

A local band I know play Viva Las Vegas, another one always plays Angels and another one always goes for Want You Back (Take That). Great songs that most bands don't even bother putting in their main sets but gets pulled out of the bag right at the end and sounds great.

So really I'm asking if anyone has any ideas for a slightly unusual anthemic, sing along song to close the night with. Any ideas gratefully recieved!

Alex

Haha. Did a dep for a cover band the other night and those were the last three songs if the night , alright now, hey Jude and 500 miles! Something to be said for the classics
[/quote]