Why become a member? ×

Fender/Squier Bass VI instead of a regular bass.?

Prime_BASS

[quote name='PianoFights' timestamp='1420278042' post='2647367']
Henry from TTNG plays one of these I think:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq8QuTRAXE8[/media]
[/quote]

Just had a look, looks like a squier jaguar bass which has been modded to be 6 strings.

Edited by Prime_BASS

Sourcing strings is no problem at all. Make up your own set direct from LaBella, or buy their pre packed set,and they'll be on your doormat in about a week.
I'm sure on Talkbass there's a thread about using standard light gauge bass strings. Due to the bridge and tailpiece design a 34" scale string fits fine.
If you try a Bass VI with the standard strings don't be put off by the sloppy string rattle, a higher tension higher gauge set totally transforms this bass.

Forgot to say, it's cheaper to buy direct from LaBella as well, forget the sets on ebay, my custom set from LaBella cost between 15 and 20 quid including postage.

Edited by Maude

We had a late '60's vintage Fender VI in the shop for a while. I kinda liked it but it really struggled in lower registers if played like a more 'conventional' bass rather than a Bari guitar.

I'd never have considered it to handle 'regular' bass duties without a lot of eq'ing on both amp and desk.

Obviously there's people out there doing this though so it's obviously possible to get one to work!

I know the Bass VI (and similar) has been around for a long time but I spotted the new Ibanez SRC6 recently which got me all excited; [url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/sp/news/workshop/eu/crossover.html"]http://www.ibanez.co.jp/sp/news/workshop/eu/crossover.html[/url]

I know it's basically the same principle but a slightly more modern take, and maybe a little more 'bass' orientated.

There's two guitarists in my band, and I got to thinking that if each of us had one of these, any one of the three of us could play bass, rhythm or lead parts at any time! If you thought out arrangements carefully, there could be some amazing possibilities...... dual part basslines, exchanging licks during lead solos, heavily layered chordal parts, etc etc

another thing to consider though ste, and this was a big factor in me not picking up a bass VI, was i found that the pickups (arrangement or type whatever) left it sounding a bit plain or indistinct, was lacking that character of a good P or J bass.

and i know you're a man who likes a good sounding bass hah.

• 8 months later...