Why become a member? ×

Fodera anyone?

Dazed

I doubt Mr Jackson would say it limits his style.

Of course it's stylised it's called the Anthony Jackson model I guess for a reason. It makes a refreshing change to see an instrument is slightly more personalised than every signature fender I've seen which are just a different colour or doesn't have binding or ooh it's got a sticker on it!

Don't get me wrong it's obscenely priced to me personally but then again I also wouldn't spend 10k on a Rolex etc etc.

So all the negative comments here about how it can and can't be played. Have you all got one or proved these theories?

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1419980785' post='2644657']
I doubt Mr Jackson would say it limits his style.

Of course it's stylised it's called the Anthony Jackson model I guess for a reason. It makes a refreshing change to see an instrument is slightly more personalised than every signature fender I've seen which are just a different colour or doesn't have binding or ooh it's got a sticker on it!

Don't get me wrong it's obscenely priced to me personally but then again I also wouldn't spend 10k on a Rolex etc etc.

So all the negative comments here about how it can and can't be played. Have you all got one or proved these theories?
[/quote]

See posts 17.18 and 24 for context of my comments.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1419972904' post='2644548']

It is set up for him..... you can't slap it as the front pickup is too close to the neck to be any use.
It accomodates one style and limits so many others, as far as I am concerned.
Not that keen on ramps either myself, even for thumbing styles...or the scale.

I'd call it a quirky bass... and one that is set-up/built for a very stylised player, IMO
[/quote]

Was just interested, I played one and found it to be one of the most playable basses I've ever sat down with......and I'm a 15 year Fender player pretty much. Admittedly I don't slap if I can help it, so that suits me, but then I've also never used a ramp and it felt very natural, even for palm-mute/thumb technique. Didn't notice the 33" scale at all either.
I think my point is that I don't believe it's unplayable and only setup simply for him, it's meant for a particular type of player that's all, lots of those types of players about, but like any bass, the MGS (or the AW, since that's the thread topic), it's not for everyone :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1420028655' post='2644955']
Was just interested, I played one and found it to be one of the most playable basses I've ever sat down with......and I'm a 15 year Fender player pretty much. Admittedly I don't slap if I can help it, so that suits me, but then I've also never used a ramp and it felt very natural, even for palm-mute/thumb technique. Didn't notice the 33" scale at all either.
I think my point is that I don't believe it's unplayable and only setup simply for him, it's meant for a particular type of player that's all, lots of those types of players about, but like any bass, the MGS (or the AW, since that's the thread topic), it's not for everyone :)

Si
[/quote]

It is a lot of money and my first impression screamed 'play like Matt Garrison'..which is fine but he already has the
ticket and tee shirt :lol:. I've never been one for straight-jacket clones myself which I feel this bass would do.
I found I could only really play fingers on it.... my two slapping/pulling fingers didn't have enough room at the front pickup
so that would disable me...some say 'good thing', quite a lot. The thumbing thing and ramp would probably be adjusted
as I feel this bass is primarily set up for this..not surprising if MG had it made to his specs...
The short scale did bother me as well........in that I felt it straight away before actually knowing it was short scale.

Overall, I just got the impression that had too narrow a scope as far as I was concened. Plus I've nicked ideas from
all over, I don't like the idea of being a poor mans so and so ( and he is great to listen to ) ... so it is never a bass for me.
Just as well, can't afford it anyway :lol:

I recently spent a day at Bass San Diego and played 4 different Foderas (and an Alembic SII) and I must say I loved them. I played a YY standard 4, an Emperor Std 5 fretless, a Monarch 4 custom and a MG custom. The playability was incredible and the sound was sublime. My ONLY concern was that, apart from the aesthetics, I couldn't tell the difference between a $6K standard and a $15K custom. I would have one in a heartbeat and the AJ Presentation II in holly remains my dream axe!!

Edited by woodster

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1419806165' post='2642909']
What I find far more incredible is someone paid this, and is now selling it so quickly.
[/quote]

At this price point you are paying for novelty. No way does that play better than a bass a tenth of its price - it's value is in its exclusivity. I suspect that it was bought by someone with a lot of money that expected a quantum difference in playability to something like a top end Musicman or Fender and are disappointed with the reality. On a subjective note its as fugly as hell as well.

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1420161526' post='2646361']
At this price point you are paying for novelty. No way does that play better than a bass a tenth of its price - it's value is in its exclusivity. I suspect that it was bought by someone with a lot of money that expected a quantum difference in playability to something like a top end Musicman or Fender and are disappointed with the reality. On a subjective note its as fugly as hell as well.
[/quote]

I agree, it's been purchased as a novelty piece perhaps, however the construction internally is apparently a work of art! Note that this is a fully hollow body bass (no sound block), but with a 'neck through' joint.
Most probably purchased by someone who doesn't think twice about 30k, millionaires who are bass players are probably not that rare.

I like its looks, understated with boutique sensibilities

Si

I'm not a fan of doublecuts and i only pay 4 stringers. I've tried a YY standard for fun and it was amazing to play, incredibly well built and designed intruments. Not really my cup of tea tiônally, though I understand the appeal.

No one claims that when they get to those rices that they will be exponentially better soundiing or more playable than less expensive ones, you are paying for the time spent, construction methds, and the added costs associated with lots of customization. Of course the name means they can chsrge decently for their work, unlike a lot of less well known or appreciated companies who might be making smaller margins. Good for them if they can get what they ask for.

The reason these basses cost $30.000+ is because of the amount of highly skilled work it takes to make such a unique instrument. These basses are not a novelty, but rather they are the ultimate in quality and craftsmanship. If small differences aren't important to you it may seem like a frivolous waste of money to buy such an expensive instrument, but if you are obsessed with seeking perfection the Fodera could be the way to go for some people.
I think this particular bass is extraordinarily beautiful, even though I would have it specced slightly differently for my own taste. I love the way the overall design is reminiscent of an accoustic guitar,and I am sure that would be reflected in the amplified tone of this bass.
The very plain-looking Spruce top was chosen by Fodera for it's accoustic properties rather than it's decoration value.
Bear in mind that if you want a top quality piano, violin or double bass, $30,000 wont get you very much, so in that context this is a bit of a bargain.Some things in life are expensive and hand-crafted bespoke musical instruments are likely to be among them.

[quote name='Misdee' timestamp='1420572495' post='2650824']
The reason these basses cost $30.000+ is because of the amount of highly skilled work it takes to make such a unique instrument. These basses are not a novelty, but rather they are the ultimate in quality and craftsmanship. If small differences aren't important to you it may seem like a frivolous waste of money to buy such an expensive instrument, but if you are obsessed with seeking perfection the Fodera could be the way to go for some people.
I think this particular bass is extraordinarily beautiful, even though I would have it specced slightly differently for my own taste. I love the way the overall design is reminiscent of an accoustic guitar,and I am sure that would be reflected in the amplified tone of this bass.
The very plain-looking Spruce top was chosen by Fodera for it's accoustic properties rather than it's decoration value.
Bear in mind that if you want a top quality piano, violin or double bass, $30,000 wont get you very much, so in that context this is a bit of a bargain.Some things in life are expensive and hand-crafted bespoke musical instruments are likely to be among them.
[/quote]

Here here

Si

Looks interesting. I wouldn't buy it to be honest since the general spec isn't something I would ever go near, but I have no problem with Fodera, or Ritter's pricing policies or more out there designs. If they have enough demand to the point that they can charge into the thousands, good for them.

[quote name='Misdee' timestamp='1420572495' post='2650824']
[/quote]

I don't think anyone is doubting the attention to detail... If I had $30K to spend on a bass I wouldnt think twice about buying a Fodera if it met my criteria...

The subject of this thread is the bass pictured in post #1 and regardless of who made it or how well it is made I wouldn't pay $30 for it because it looks awful... truely awful

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1420616524' post='2651253']
I don't think anyone is doubting the attention to detail... If I had $30K to spend on a bass I wouldnt think twice about buying a Fodera if it met my criteria...

The subject of this thread is the bass pictured in post #1 and regardless of who made it or how well it is made I wouldn't pay $30 for it because it looks awful... truely awful
[/quote]

That's the problem with a thread like this though isn't it, I think it looks great :)
Damn subjectivity!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1420633953' post='2651517']
That's the problem with a thread like this though isn't it, I think it looks great :)
Damn subjectivity!

Si
[/quote]

Your right of course... BC would be very predictable if most people played a P bass and criticised everything else... :mellow:

I do think the fodera in question is an interesting idea but for my tastes this is the way to do a hybrid;

Edited by CamdenRob

It's certainly not my cup of tea but I can understand why someone would buy one new - the service & that special feeling when going through the built process must be incredible!

A few of things I don't really understand are:
- Why would someone spend all that money on something then sell it after only 3 months? At best it makes them look silly & at worst it makes it look like something underhand has occurred or they're hiding an issue with it.
- Why would someone that is willing to spend 30k on a bass be interested in such a tiny saving when they could spend 15/20% more and have it brand new?
- [more general than just this particular bass] Why do so many high end custom manufacturers use what appear to be quite generic/cheap machine heads? Most of them look the same as what is on my Warwick & even my old cheapo Peavey - surely they can come up with a slightly different design/shape to make them unique?

I can only speculate, but I would expect that someone has ordered this bass as a custom build, inspired by the Anthony Jackson Presentation Sig hollow body. That design is highly esoteric, what with a 36ins scale, 28 frets etc. It may well be that the chap who ordered this bass has found it a bit ungainly to play and just can't live with it.

The good news for the owner is that, especially for nearly new basses such as this, the used price of Foderas is close to the full retail price, mainly because it circumvents what could be up to a 2 year wait for a new build.

Regarding the tuners, these are probably the least generic/ cheap machine heads known to mankind. Actually they are custom jobs made out of titanium. as is the bridge and trussrod.

I am an avid Fodera watcher, but for the foreseeable future I will have to content myself with playing my humble Fender Precision and imagining that it is one of these beauties. :)

[quote name='Misdee' timestamp='1420660783' post='2651921']

Regarding the tuners, these are probably the least generic/ cheap machine heads known to mankind. Actually they are custom jobs made out of titanium. as is the bridge and trussrod.
[/quote]

Ti is all very nice but in some ways that news (to me) makes it even worse that they've used the design they have. I'm quite into cycling so have seen a lot of really impressive work with Ti using it's superior strength to weight ratio to full effect, I'd have thought they could have come up with something better though I'm sure if a customer were to ask them to they would do a custom design (for the right price).

Anyway, I'd love to play on one of their more traditional looking basses just to see what it's all about though I'd probably give this particular example a miss.