Why become a member? ×

Rotosound Black Nylon string fitting

badboy1984

I decided to restring my bass this morning and discover the rotosound set doesn't sit probably on the nut on my fretless bass. My bass originally have some black nylon strings on but clearly is not the full set because the original E and A string looks like the same gauge .......

Altho the string sits on the nut but is not fully press and I tune it up and it play ok unplug.

Will this cause a problem? or shall I go and buy some sand paper and open the hole a little to fit the strings?

The Rotosound Tru Bass 88 strings are a 115 gauge E string, so I would expect you to need to adjust the nut to fit them. Be careful of using them as you are as there is always potential to crack the nut if you have a string that's too large, resting on a slot that's too small.

You'll need to open up the nut slot, the proper files for the job are too expensive for a one off job, you could get a local tech do do it for you or perhaps buy a round needle file & carefully use that.
Sandpaper is not really going to do it.

Cheerz, John

Edit: Similar to - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3mm-x-140mm-Round-Diamond-Coated-Needle-File-for-Art-Craft-Jewelry-Making-/171056037178?pt=UK_Crafts_JewelleryMaking_GL&hash=item27d3bbfd3a

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1418986509' post='2635455']
A set of welder tip cleaners are cheap and come multi size are perfect for nut work. They wont be up to cutting a new nut but for widening or small depth adjustments there good.
[/quote]They don't go anywhere near .115" but yes they're OK for light work on the smaller string slots.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1418994233' post='2635547']
Oh and if you have a old set of roundwounds you can use them to widen the gap a little there not as good as files but there not overly rough so theres not much danger of over widening etc.
[/quote]

Clever :)

If you fancied black nylon flats but not fiddling with your nut (ooh err etc) to fit the Trubass strings, Status do good black nylon flats that have the same woody tone but in reasonable gauges - I think the heavy gauge Es are still only 105s. £16.99 a set. I have my fretless Thunder 1A fitted with them and they sound fantastic. I'm sure you could move on the Trubass on here easily enough.

I had to adjust the nut on my Status in the same way but that is the beauty of basses with a zero frets as you aren't going to mess with your bass action. so take care as you do not need depth. If you go deeper you could mess up your open notes so take care just to widen the shoulders of each slot. Also +1 for Status black nylon but they are faily low tension so would recomend the heavier gauge.