Why become a member? ×

Auditions?

markytbass

I've auditioned for lots of bands in the last 18 years and they have ranged from bands that only exist in someones head to porfessional outfits where I was way out of my depth. I've turned up places where I'm the only one with an instrument. I've been driven to a shed in the middle of a field to audition with a member of an ex pro band (which I can't remember at the mo). I turned up for an audition where the singer had a row with the guitarist and walked out. One audition the drummer had to disapear half way through to have drum lessons. I've had bands expect me to learn 8 or 9 songs for an audition. Ive had people look down their noses at me because of the gear I had and the fact that I didn't need a 7.5 tonne lorry to transport my gear (and that was for pub gigs).

All of the above has taught me to ask lots of questions before agreeing to an audition and that I'm also auditioning them to see if they are what I'm looking for. I don't know if it makes me seem intimidating but it puts me more at ease and relaxed whilst playing at an audition (and no I don't go dressed as the spirit of jazz).

Has anyone else had any strange experiences at auditions or is it just me :)

I had a very odd 'audition' a couple of weeks ago. I'd studied myself half to death to get their whole set down, I had charts for every song written out and bound, in order into a ring binder, I was calm, confident and ready to play.

Turned up at the designated Sarf-London sh*t-hole at the designated time, there was nobody there. Sat in my car, melting. People started to drift in over the next hour or so, then it emerged that their regular room was not available. Eventually we got into a room, 90 minutes after I was told that I needed to be setup and ready to go.

I set up and started to warm up and immediately one of them came over to me, and told me I was 'too trebly'.

That's my sound, it growls underneath and cuts through on top, said I.

Too trebly.

They had a new umpty track mixer desk for this rehearsal. They'd never used it before. I was repeatedly told to 'be quiet' so that they could read the manual to try to get the blasted thing working. Forty five minutes later it was ready.

In the end, I played about three songs (I'd learned about 30) through gritted teeth, then packed up and left. And drove the one hour home without taking a breath between each swear word.

Still, I can laugh about it now......

Remember that you are auditioning them too, so if they do stuff like that you can walk out.
"Don't ring me, I'll ring you"

I do the 20 questions thing on the initial phone call 'cos if they don't fit with what I'm looking for there's no point in going other than for the fun of playing different music and meeting new people .. You never know who may call you later after that band breaks up :)

We have a potential new drummer coming along tonight.

There have been about 20 emails back and forward with lots of questions etc, making sure we know as much as possible about each other before meeting up.

I even said to him it's a chance to see if we're ok for him too!

Anyway fingers crossed he'll turn up. We have been in this situation twice before over the last 6 weeks and both drummers failed to show up despite confirmation of dates times locations etc etc. No word at all from them!!

I have played two audition type sessions with a rock band recently. They asked me to come back after the first week, so I did. This week they said "we'll let you know" which I find quite strange.... We were getting on quite well, I can play the stuff pretty easily, i've learned 3 or 4 songs with them and had no trouble keeping up after a few practises.

I think I may have annoyed them by saying that it was quite easy to play (they go on about how technical and clever their music is). I'm not sure if I want to join anyway, but I certainly don't like waiting for a decision!

Tom,

I've just noticed with your avatar, cover one of the old man's right eye and he looks incredibly mild-mannered, cover his left eye and he looks incredibly angry.

I've only ever had 2 auditions (with the same band). I was pretty crap, but got one with the fellas so got the job.

As long as you like roughly the same sort of music and your face fits, I don't think technical ability is a massive issue. I mean, how hard can 4 strings be?

I had quite a frustrating audition the other day...it was for an "industrial rock" band, the songs were nicely riffy, but quite formulaeic (sp?) so I was able to work out&learn about half their album ready for the audition.

I turned up, nailed their stuff but was told my bass didn't "fit in with, y'know, what we're lookin for"..not my sound, not my playing, but because I had a natural ash Ray, and not some Mondo-Death-Crazy-Killer-Black-Metal bass, they didn't want me.

Cliquey pieces o' sh!t...

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='257211' date='Aug 7 2008, 02:04 PM']Tom,

I've just noticed with your avatar, cover one of the old man's right eye and he looks incredibly mild-mannered, cover his left eye and he looks incredibly angry.[/quote]

I've never noticed that! Very true. I've no idea who he is, but he's a walking miracle!

I'll post if I get a response from the band. If they don't e-mail, txt, or call me I think that's really rude.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='256968' date='Aug 7 2008, 09:54 AM']Never done an audition in my life.[/quote]

Did one in 1980, my first at age 17. I got the gig and was on Radio One 4 months later (Tommy Vance Friday Rock Show).

Never done one since. Jazzers just [i]know![/i]

Edited by bilbo230763

Remember, there are 3 reasons to do a gig:

1. You're learning something
2. You're having fun
3. You're getting paid.

If none of those 3 reasons are there - and you should be able to tell from the audition - don't bother with it.

I've done one audition. It went well. I poached the drummer.

I've only ever done one audition [i]per se[/i] and it was quite recently. I asked a number of questions prior to the meet up and he said he'd find it easier to explain in person (this was for second guitar by the way; marginally technical).

If I'm honest it was a bit of a sham. In short, he had his own room at the studio, was a self-titled 'professional' musician, and was terribly vague, imprecise and generally unhelpful about what he wanted. Needless to say I've not heard back. Whilst he was pleasant enough, he put out vibes of false humility all over the place. I just can't work with people who make themselves out to be more than they actually are, coupled with putting down others even just in their own mind in order to enlarge their own egos.

Mark

[quote name='jakesbass' post='256968' date='Aug 7 2008, 09:54 AM']Never done an audition in my life.[/quote]

I've just realised I've never had to audition either. A bit weird I guess... but yesterday I literally just got back from holiday and had two phone calls asking me to play some gigs. I guess I must be lucky to be always meeting musicians who never know any bassists. :)

Edited by s_u_y_*

[quote name='joe_bass' post='257234' date='Aug 7 2008, 02:26 PM']What if you had stuck some masking tape over the head stock and written BC Rich on it? :)[/quote]

lol!

It was a thought, but i think I'd then have to've grown my hair (check my profile pic as to the main reason why this'd be an issue) and made it do that flicky kinda-across-the-face thing...ooh, and dyed it black, and worn my jeans round the middle of my thighs, and started wearing black checkerboard belts/ties/scarfs etc etc etc...it looked to be one of [i]those[/i] bands, if you know what I mean!

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='257378' date='Aug 7 2008, 04:50 PM']I'd then have to've grown my hair (check my profile pic as to the main reason why this'd be an issue) and made it do that flicky kinda-across-the-face thing...ooh, and dyed it black, and worn my jeans round the middle of my thighs, and started wearing black checkerboard belts/ties/scarfs etc etc etc...[/quote]

Ooooh, we seem to have tapped a deep, bitter vein of prejudice there.

Auditions are a waste of time IMO, you generally know if you or they can cut it by just talking, I don't think I've actually had a "proper" audition or been involved with a band who "hold" auditions on a certain date etc.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='257247' date='Aug 7 2008, 02:42 PM']I've never noticed that! Very true. I've no idea who he is, but he's a walking miracle![/quote]

I always thought it was Cary Grant ... (the male one) after he did his Reggie Perrin and ran away from fame.