Why become a member? ×

Cables

JamesBass

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1417641871' post='2622653']
Absolute zero would relate to resistance. Cable resistance is insignificant compared to both pickup impedance and amp input impedance, so tone wouldn't be significantly affected.
[/quote]

Plus, if either capacitance or resistance is zero then the value of the other is irrelevant, tonally. This cable claims to reduce the apparent cable capacitance by a factor of 10 in a 20 foot cable, and I have no reason to doubt that it does. However, is it, for the average player, worth the hassle of having a special cable and more batteries to worry about? If I were that bothered about my tone then I'd probably go wireless, with the added advantage that that brings.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1417689661' post='2623010']
But are the handles any good??
[/quote]

I've had lots of OBBM instrument and speaker cables over the years and I've NEVER had to replace a SINGLE handle...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1417689607' post='2623009']
If I were that bothered about my tone then I'd probably go wireless, with the added advantage that that brings.
[/quote]

A lot of the latest wireless systems have a control that mimics the effects of capacitance of a standard screened cable of various lengths.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1417525569' post='2621304']
Not used these, but should be top quality:
[url="http://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.html"]http://www.award-ses...one_cables.html[/url]
[/quote]
[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1417560254' post='2621854']
I have used these for years and they have never let me down. Fast service too.
[/quote]

I've used his cables - need to get me some more actually. Indeed, quality cables - the guy only lives around the corner from me too.

However I bought OBBM speakon cables recently - built like tanks, top quality. Compared to the Stagg ones I was using, they've added even more low end to my Barefaced cabs.

Build your own. Get some cheapo jacks and some old cable that you must have lying around. Have a few practice attempts then when you feel confident, Get thee some[b] Neutrik[/b] jacks and heat shrink, Van Damne cable and away you go. It's pretty easy to do. Solder the cable to the jack, then slide the heat shrink over the part where the cable and jack meet, hairdryer on hot setting and turn the area around until even heat is applied.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw8m0gMsQyw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw8m0gMsQyw[/url]

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1417641871' post='2622653']
Absolute zero would relate to resistance. Cable resistance is insignificant compared to both pickup impedance and amp input impedance, so tone wouldn't be significantly affected.
[/quote]
[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1417689607' post='2623009']
Plus, if either capacitance or resistance is zero then the value of the other is irrelevant, tonally. This cable claims to reduce the apparent cable capacitance by a factor of 10 in a 20 foot cable, and I have no reason to doubt that it does. However, is it, for the average player, worth the hassle of having a special cable and more batteries to worry about? If I were that bothered about my tone then I'd probably go wireless, with the added advantage that that brings.
[/quote]

Cheers chaps, I've just learnt something. I'd always been labouring under the impression that the resistance of a cable had a significant effect, so I'm happy to be corrected. :)

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1417812003' post='2624324']
Cheers chaps, I've just learnt something. I'd always been labouring under the impression that the resistance of a cable had a significant effect, so I'm happy to be corrected. :)
[/quote]

Resistance [i][b]will[/b][/i] have an effect if there is capacitance as well, because the two together form a low pass filter. The cable mentioned reduces the effective capacitance by a large amount, so the resistance is that much less significant. Unfortunately, [i]in the real world[/i], there will always be some resistance and some capacitance.I

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1417963436' post='2625473']
Unfortunately, [i]in the real world[/i], there will always be some resistance and some capacitance.
[/quote]

+1

And in the real world a splodgin of capacitance and resistance is going to make b*gger all difference.

It's always been the way and it was never perceived as a 'problem' until marketing people told us it was - we've just compensated without realising it by using tone and volume controls. :)

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1417963436' post='2625473']
Resistance [i][b]will[/b][/i] have an effect if there is capacitance as well, because the two together form a low pass filter. The cable mentioned reduces the effective capacitance by a large amount, so the resistance is that much less significant. Unfortunately, [i]in the real world[/i], there will always be some resistance and some capacitance.I
[/quote]

Yep, that's what I've learnt. :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1417964423' post='2625486']
+1

And in the real world a splodgin of capacitance and resistance is going to make b*gger all difference.

It's always been the way and it was never perceived as a 'problem' until marketing people told us it was - we've just compensated without realising it by using tone and volume controls. :)
[/quote]

And also that I'm clearly a sucker for marketing. :lol: