Why become a member? ×

Most covered 'Classic Rock' song

Guest MoJo

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1417524451' post='2621279']
Well until other bands then start doing those songs you've just 'educated' them with ;)
[/quote]

Yes we've done well with some slightly heavier stuff, alternative/metal/grunge stuff and then you start seeing 'your' songs creeping into other bands' setlists. When there are a handful of bands covering [i]similar[/i] artists it seems to help acceptance by the conservative landlords and pub audiences. Let's just see how long it takes for 'our' stuff to become classic rock, and the cycle continues...

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1417524451' post='2621279']
Well until other bands then start doing those songs you've just 'educated' them with ;)
[/quote]

That is ok... we will have moved on by then anyway... :lol: :lol:
Picking a set with a bit of imagination isn't that hard... it is the way you 'sell'
it anyway.

Simply trying to get potential band members to think of doing something different is a monumental task. All I hear is 'we must include the crowd pleasers'...at which point my heart sinks and I tend to walk.

It's either that or suggestions so obscure even the original artist would struggle remember they recorded it.

Classic rock and indie standards are all they're interested in :(

[color=#222222]What's more important with material for me, is how and when we play it, rather than what songs we actually play.[/color]

[color=#222222]We have everything from ABBA to Zappa in our set(s) and pay a lot of attention to detail in learning the material, no guessed bits, shoddy vocals or noodling solo parts.[/color]

[color=#222222]We have found sets follow a certain pattern, so there's something for people to sit drink and listen to plus get their ears accustomed to live music and so long as it’s well-rehearsed and professionally delivered as possible (we're not Pros) it works, as the evening moves on we introduce some dance material and as alcohol takes effect people dance.[/color]

[color=#222222]We're not precious about material and at the moment are rehearsing a Christmas gig with the intention to play 'that lot' - Slade, Wizzard, The Waitresses, Mariah....[/color]

• 3 weeks later...

If we pandered to peoples tastes we'd all be doing Glen Miller covers and The Beatles wouldn't have happened. It is possible to develop a setlist without being obvious. Conversely, I was at a gig once where a band played two tracks that neither myself nor my friends had heard of and we found by asking afterwards were in fact 'album' tracks. Heinous.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1419096680' post='2636560']
we found by asking afterwards were in fact 'album' tracks. Heinous.
[/quote]

Technically that is exactly what the "Classic Rock" genre of music is.

A guy at work had this on today.

http://www.thearrow.co.uk

They played a lot of numbers our band plays that I've never heard on the radio. Would be a great rescource for picking more of the less played tunes.

• 2 months later...

Some brave soul should start a poll with about a hundred "classics" on it. Each person who participates in the poll would then get twenty votes. Over time, and it could takes months, it might become clear what the most covered "classics" are. The results might be a surprise. lol And, no, I'm not volunteering!!!

Over and out! lol

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1417354426' post='2619427']
Can't believe that no one has come up with Sweet Child of Mine yet??

Also, I would submit Whole Lotta Rosie & Enter Sandman...
[/quote]
See graham about two posts above

[quote name='dadofsix' timestamp='1425243838' post='2705554']
Some brave soul should start a poll with about a hundred "classics" on it. Each person who participates in the poll would then get twenty votes. Over time, and it could takes months, it might become clear what the most covered "classics" are. The results might be a surprise. lol And, no, I'm not volunteering!!!

Over and out! lol
[/quote]

I started a bass chat top 40 in December. There were quite a few interesting tunes but didn't seem to be going anywhere interesting. I stopped collating the results after week 2.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/250536-basschat-ultimate-top-40-2014/page__st__30

Anybody mentioned 'Summer of '69' yet? It was one of our staples during my pub band days in the Northampton area ('Tango With Dignity', thanks for asking) - so much so that some of the locals at our regular pubs would get uppity if we didn't play it.

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1425323621' post='2706235']
Anybody mentioned 'Summer of '69' yet? It was one of our staples during my pub band days in the Northampton area ('Tango With Dignity', thanks for asking) - so much so that some of the locals at our regular pubs would get uppity if we didn't play it.
[/quote]

If thats the case I'd be leaving the covers band and joining an originals band. Its one of my "red lines". Absolutely hate it.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1425401691' post='2706973']
If thats the case I'd be leaving the covers band and joining an originals band. Its one of my "red lines". Absolutely hate it.
[/quote]

Noted, but see above on the subject of why you're doing the gig. ;) Plenty of songs that I've played that I loathed, but which the great unwashed seemed to like for some reason I could never fathom. :)

There is definitely a 'cheese' line that no one should cross, IMO,...but it wont stop a few bands
as that is all they have to get bookings... but once you have a half decent set you need to
look at what else the band has. Is it a good playing band, do they have that extra factor
that sets them apart..?
They are the bands that will put distance between the normal fare and get to charge reasonable fees
doing predominately what they want to rather than what the local market expects..
i get out to see quite a few bands and I'd be hard pushed to recal a handful of above average ones..
That is what kills local music, as much as anything else..??

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1425470380' post='2707603']
There is definitely a 'cheese' line that no one should cross, IMO
[/quote]

While I agree with everything else in post #67 JTUK - the problem (for me) is the 'How does someone define cheese?' I hold the view that there are many songs, which are untouched by the majority of cover bands; these songs entertain people, get people dancing and make a 'refreshing change' (actual quote) from that served by other bands.

I feel that it could interpreted as elitist to say something is cheesy.

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1425472340' post='2707642']
While I agree with everything else in post #67 JTUK - the problem (for me) is the 'How does someone define cheese?' I hold the view that there are many songs, which are untouched by the majority of cover bands; these songs entertain people, get people dancing and make a 'refreshing change' (actual quote) from that served by other bands.

[b]I feel that it could interpreted as elitist to say something is cheesy.[/b]
[/quote]

I guess it could be perceived as a degree of elitist, but I'd prefer to slant it
as people just doing it better and with more idea. Of course, you can have
all these ideas and directions and if you are playing to small audiences,
you've still 'failed'...but cheese to me is bands shaping their set to be totally
populist above all else... and you'll also probably find little imagination with the numbers
they've chosen... you might also find they choose numbers that say 'wow' look at me'
aren't we great..
It may be all cover bands have an element of this so it comes down to conviction
and amplitude..??
Anyway, the most obvious are easy to spot... If the band don't play very well, and still
pick tunes like Alabama etc etc, the choice is mostly a get out of jail choice, rather than a
suitable and rousing rendition....

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1425487796' post='2707849']
I guess it could be perceived as a degree of elitist, but I'd prefer to slant it
as people just doing it better and with more idea. Of course, you can have
all these ideas and directions and if you are playing to small audiences,
you've still 'failed'...but cheese to me is bands shaping their set to be totally
populist above all else... and you'll also probably find little imagination with the numbers
they've chosen... you might also find they choose numbers that say 'wow' look at me'
aren't we great..
It may be all cover bands have an element of this so it comes down to conviction
and amplitude..??
Anyway, the most obvious are easy to spot... If the band don't play very well, and still
pick tunes like Alabama etc etc, the choice is mostly a get out of jail choice, rather than a
suitable and rousing rendition....
[/quote]

Hang on a minute... this is another one of your definitions isn't it? :P ;)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1425290622' post='2705798']

I started a bass chat top 40 in December. There were quite a few interesting tunes but didn't seem to be going anywhere interesting. I stopped collating the results after week 2.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/250536-basschat-ultimate-top-40-2014/page__st__30
[/quote]

Just realised this is a resurrected thread and is the original thread that promoted me to start the poll. :D :D :D

Pop is short for popular.

No point in playing tunes that aren't popular.

I don't agree with JTUK apart from the point he makes about poor bands going through the motions with badly played tunes.

I've seen too many bands knocking out bad renditions of 'popular' tunes to a drunk audience while looking at each other as if they've been caught stealing candy from the baby.

Lots of people on BassChat say they never practice as a band as they gig often enough not to have to practice 'the same old tunes over and over again'.

Basically if the band are enjoying it, the audience are enjoying it at [i]least[/i] as much as the band are and there's a third party prepared to part with money to enable this joyous union to take place you shouldn't give a flying f*ck what anyone else thinks.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1425508088' post='2708134']
Basically if the band are enjoying it, the audience are enjoying it at [i]least[/i] as much as the band are and there's a third party prepared to part with money to enable this joyous union to take place you shouldn't give a flying f*ck what anyone else thinks.
[/quote]

Beautifully put.

G/F asked me last night if I fancied going to see a band and then finds them on Youtube.... 'Ever Fallen In Love...' groan :(
I'd say there are roughly several thousand pop songs that would go down really well in a pub but most bands seem to be drawn to the same one or two hundred and they've all been mentioned in this post. Except maybe Mustang Sally?