Why become a member? ×

Zero radius fretboards

SimonH

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1420567224' post='2650744']
Me too as was the 24" radius (near flat) on my graft acg and custom telebass made by mike Walsh
[/quote]
Why 24" and not flat? I guess it's a marketing thing (big is better, but avoid infinite (or zero)).
Just calculated the centre of the board is less than 1mm higher than the edge.

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1420734002' post='2652787']
Why 24" and not flat? I guess it's a marketing thing (big is better, but avoid infinite (or zero)).
Just calculated the centre of the board is less than 1mm higher than the edge.
[/quote]

Because I didn't want to go straight to flat being used to a fender p bass. I should have! The 24" just felt really comfortable and Mike put it on the Telebass more by accident but its comfortable. The asymetric neck and flat board work really well

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1420734258' post='2652795']
This one [url="http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/cms/"]Link[/url]
[/quote]

Whoa, I'll bookmark this for later... I still can't decide whether they have an exquisite sense of humour and promote healthy debate and thinking, or it's one of the whackiest things I've seen in the net recently, but either way it caught my attention :lol:

From their history:
[quote]
The modern age of the Flat Earth Society dates back to the early 1800s, when it was founded by Samuel Birley Rowbotham, an English inventor. Samuel Rowbotham's Flat Earth views were based largely on literal interpretation of Bible passages. His system, called [i]Zetetic Astronomy[/i], held that the earth is a flat disk centered at the North Pole and bounded along its 'southern' edge by a wall of ice, with the sun, moon, planets, and stars only a few hundred miles above the surface of the earth. After Rowbotham's death in 1884, followers of his [i]Zetetic Astronomy[/i] founded the [i]Universal Zetetic Society[/i].

Flat Earth theory spread to the United States, largely in the town of Zion, Illinois where Christian Catholic Apostolic Church founder John Alexander Dowie and later Wilbur Glenn Voliva promoted Flat Earth theory. Voliva died in 1942 and the church quickly disintegrated. Flat Earthism remained in Zion, gradually becoming less popular into the 1950s.

The International Flat Earth Society was formally founded in 1956 by Samuel Shenton, a Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society and the Royal Geographic Society. Shenton died in 1971 and Charles K. Johnson became president of the International Flat Earth Society. Johnson actively and charistmatically promoted the Society and, over time, its membership increased to over 3,000. His wife Marjory took an active role in the Society as well, often contributing articles to the Flat Earth Society Newsletter.

In 1995, a fire destroyed the Johnson's home as well as all of the Flat Earth Society's library, archives and membership lists. Following a long period of poor health, Charles K. Johnson's wife Marjory Johnson passed away in 1996. He vowed to rebuild the society. Sadly, Charles K. Johnson passed away in 2001 at the age of 76, leaving the Society's future uncertain.

After several years of inactivity, the Flat Earth Society was resurrected in 2004 and remains active today at theflatearthsociety.org. The Society officially reopened to new members on 30th October 2009.
[/quote]

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1420739706' post='2652883']
Whoa, I'll bookmark this for later... I still can't decide whether they have an exquisite sense of humour and promote healthy debate and thinking, or it's one of the whackiest things I've seen in the net recently, but either way it caught my attention
[/quote]

It would look really cool on your business card though.

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1420734258' post='2652795']
This one [url="http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/cms/"]Link[/url]
[/quote]

[pedantry]
I assume you're joking here. One of the nice things about disciplines like Euclidean Geometry is that they are absolutely precise and leave no room for doubt or ambiguity, and remain so irrespective of what anybody thinks about it. A circle of zero radius is mathematically equivalent to an infinitely small point, whatever the Flat Earth Society say.
[/pedantry]

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1420796081' post='2653425']
[pedantry]
I assume you're joking here....
[/pedantry]
[/quote]

Of course. I used Euclidean Geometry to calcuate the edge of a 24" radius board is around 0.75mm lower then the middle. I thought the FES may have an answer for post #27 !

[pedantry]
A circle of zero radius is mathematically equivalent to an infinitely small point, whatever the Flat Earth Society say.
[/pedantry]
[/quote]

If you look back in the thread, I wondered whether or not the object would exist at all if its radius was zero. I think this is a place where mathematics and philosophy cross paths :)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1420800589' post='2653493']
If you look back in the thread, I wondered whether or not the object would exist at all if its radius was zero. I think this is a place where mathematics and philosophy cross paths :)
[/quote]

Mathematically it would. Philosophically... I guess it depends on how far you embrace Existentialism. :unsure:

I think I might need to get out more! :crazy:

[pedantry]
I assume you're joking here. One of the nice things about disciplines like Euclidean Geometry is that they are absolutely precise and leave no room for doubt or ambiguity, and remain so irrespective of what anybody thinks about it. A circle of zero radius is mathematically equivalent to an infinitely small point, whatever the Flat Earth Society say.
[/pedantry]
[/quote]

a point is a point, there are not big or small points in geometry ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1420817077' post='2653849']
a point is a point, there are not big or small points in geometry ;)
[/quote]

Well spotted. Loose use of language on my part (although fwiw I was trying to make the, er, point that it is in fact infinitesimally small; I plead extenuating circumstances).

Perhaps we should all get out a bit more. :)

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1420827064' post='2654011']
Well spotted. Loose use of language on my part (although fwiw I was trying to make the, er, point that it is in fact infinitesimally small; I plead extenuating circumstances).

Perhaps we should all get out a bit more. :)
[/quote]

Oh I know, it's just that you raised the pedantry flag and I couldn't hold back :lol:

Get out more? Indeed... just finished painting the bathroom, fumes, bleuch... I need air.

Interesting thread, My f Bass VF5 has a compound radius, meaning that the further up the fingerboard you go, the flatter the radius. This feels very natural and comfortable to me, especially compared to my Iceni Zoot Funkmeister made by Mike Walsh... Which has subsequently had the neck replaced as it warped so badly and he had glued the truss rod in place.....