Why become a member? ×

Ibanez PD-7 Phat Hed Bass OD

Jono Bolton

The above mentioned pedal is currently sitting in my local Cash Converters, with a very reasonable price tag of £20. The thing is, they don't have the stuff so I can try it and I doubt they'll let me return it if I hate it. Has anyone got one, or tried one? Harmony Central has a lot of positive reviews, but they've mostly been written by people hoo rite lik dis, which is off-putting. Any coherent people tried it?

i think he means the footswitch, they're sometimes pretty dodgy unless you clean them out like i did on the one i just sold.

also, i'm pretty sure cash converters have a policy where you can return it if it's "unfit for purpose" or something like that; i bought a midi controller from them a few years ago and they said i could bring it back if i didn't like it....

as far as the sound, i was able to get a really deep, gutsy overdrive sound from it. seems best suited to rock/metal but for some reason i never really got on with it 100%.

[quote name='escholl' post='256137' date='Aug 6 2008, 12:01 PM']i think he means the footswitch, they're sometimes pretty dodgy unless you clean them out like i did on the one i just sold.[/quote]

Yep, the microswitch can glitch out. They've sorted it on the recent models but older one's can suffer. I bought mine in 2001 or 02 and the switch is knackered. One of these days I'll get round to replacing it.

Decent pedal.

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='256275' date='Aug 6 2008, 02:04 PM']One of these days I'll get round to replacing it.[/quote]

actually, you don't need to replace it entirely. :)

take out all the other boards so you can get to the circuit board with the switch on it, and IIRC you just need to pop open the top of the switch, clean the contacts, and bend out the little springy bit so it presses more firmly against the contacts. i did it about 3 years ago though so that may be a little off......

[quote name='escholl' post='256401' date='Aug 6 2008, 03:45 PM']actually, you don't need to replace it entirely. :)

take out all the other boards so you can get to the circuit board with the switch on it, and IIRC you just need to pop open the top of the switch, clean the contacts, and bend out the little springy bit so it presses more firmly against the contacts. i did it about 3 years ago though so that may be a little off......[/quote]

Brilliant, I'll give that a try first. Thanks!

yeah the footswitch in mine is f***ed so i never use it for live stuff, but I've used it in the studio before because you can get some fantastic synthy fuzz sounds out of it - I think they're great (in a Tony the Tiger kind of way)

[quote name='BassManKev' post='256488' date='Aug 6 2008, 05:10 PM']how though?? im guessing you use it with attack off, but all i get is a very dull fuzz sound with far too much high mids and just generally lofi sounding[/quote]

give me 20 mins and I'll get a quick vid on youtube...although it might take an age for it to get validated or whatever is it that they do to it

I can't get my cam to work, but these are the settings;

[attachment=11691:DSC01373.JPG]

...and it sounds great! Really dirty but smooth fuzz (IMO obviously).

The attack is off and it’s on “DIST” mode with the drive @ 11 :) It’s all personal preference and personal opinions at the end of the day, but I think it’s possible to dial in an expensive sounding tone from this pedal when you compare it to ‘boutique’ pedals that sell for over £100. Bargain for 20 quid I think.

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='256524' date='Aug 6 2008, 05:38 PM']I can't get my cam to work, but these are the settings;

The attack is off and it’s on “DIST” mode with the drive @ 11 :) It’s all personal preference and personal opinions at the end of the day, but I think it’s possible to dial in an expensive sounding tone from this pedal when you compare it to ‘boutique’ pedals that sell for over £100. Bargain for 20 quid I think.[/quote]

just tred that and might start using it just need to make or buy the looper to put it in as my footswitch is f***ed up and its not the microswitch or electronical swiching- what the tech told me

[quote name='cheddatom' post='257035' date='Aug 7 2008, 11:06 AM']I would just put a metal footswitch in the existing pedal. Drill through the foot-plate thingy, stick your switch in, should be easy enough even if it looks crap.[/quote]

my tech said its not problem of micro switch but some circut. anyway i dont have tools to drill it.
cheers:)

[quote name='Matty' post='260059' date='Aug 11 2008, 03:38 PM']And if you set it up right, it'll do self osscilation and crazy noises too.[/quote]

Oo, settings please :)

I have an early "knackered switch" model and really like it. Generally use it either clean with the EQ boosted as a "slap channel" or on OD but you can get some gorgeously huge distortion sounds too.

The attack switch isn't for everyone but, as fifeq says it can be used to get a great Rickenbacker style clank, and for getting a pick style attack while still playing fingerstyle. Sounds a bit gnarly in isolation but it's great for cutting through heavy mixes.

Cheers
Alun

Well, my original one does it, but the one i got from kev doesn't seem to...

But basicallly turn up the treble and bass to full, level on full, gain on full (you get teh picture)
With the Mode switch, wedge it between the OD and DIST settings. Gives out a wailing tone. Manipulating the bass and treble controls changins teh pitch, and the attack switch shifts it between three different base tones.

Have fun :)

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='benwhiteuk' post='256524' date='Aug 6 2008, 05:38 PM']I can't get my cam to work, but these are the settings;

The attack is off and it’s on “DIST” mode with the drive @ 11 :) It’s all personal preference and personal opinions at the end of the day, but I think it’s possible to dial in an expensive sounding tone from this pedal when you compare it to ‘boutique’ pedals that sell for over £100. Bargain for 20 quid I think.[/quote]

I like to use simmilar setup but have a problem with feedbacks. anyone know how to solve it? does the behringer or other cheap mark do feedback destroyer thing(i think boss does)? or any other option?
cheers!