Why become a member? ×

Ibanez PD-7 Phat Hed Bass OD

Jono Bolton

[quote name='fifeq' post='277757' date='Sep 5 2008, 12:51 PM']I like to use simmilar setup but have a problem with feedbacks. anyone know how to solve it? does the behringer or other cheap mark do feedback destroyer thing(i think boss does)? or any other option?
cheers![/quote]

Turn down, turn away from your amp, or get a noise gate. You don't want a feedback destroyer!

[quote name='BassManKev' post='256488' date='Aug 6 2008, 05:10 PM']how though?? im guessing you use it with attack off, but all i get is a very dull fuzz sound with far too much high mids and just generally lofi sounding[/quote]

Kev, do you still use a small combo, I think I recall you saying that at some point... Because the description you make of the sound of effects sometimes is completely different from what I get! I know if I lower the gain and bass a bit too much on my SWR 350x, or turn up the tweeter on my Triad cab, no distortion can ever sound good! If you're trying pedals with a small low wattage combo you're losing out on some good stuff and you'll be surprised what difference some serious air being pushed does as far as distortion goes!

Edited by 1976fenderhead

the amp i have is indeed only 130 watts, but is louder than most 200w amps. i aint just going off amp sound either, im going off recording too. i try alot of effects in music shops as well through full rigs :)

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='BassManKev' post='281918' date='Sep 11 2008, 03:22 PM']the amp i have is indeed only 130 watts, but is louder than most 200w amps. i aint just going off amp sound either, im going off recording too. i try alot of effects in music shops as well through full rigs :)[/quote]

Loudness alone has little to do with it. Anyway, when I record using an amp simulator plugin or DI from the preamp stage of my amp (i.e. not direct from the bass), I get a sound from my effects that's closer to real life gig/rehearsing sound than if I use my rig at lower volume at home (it sounds farty and crappy like that). If you're recording and using amp D.I. or amp simulation, then I suppose you're at least getting something to compare against just playing through your amp...

I've tried loads of effects through full rigs in music shops too, but some effects like distortion or compression you never really get a very clear perception of their quality unless you play them really loud and p*ss everybody off :huh:

when i record i either go di out from amp, or through the zoom b2.1u's recording interface with trace elliot amp modelling.

i think we just need to agree to disagree when it comes to distortions, i like the odb-3, you like the pd-7, okay? :)

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='BassManKev' post='282013' date='Sep 11 2008, 05:13 PM']when i record i either go di out from amp, or through the zoom b2.1u's recording interface with trace elliot amp modelling.

i think we just need to agree to disagree when it comes to distortions, i like the odb-3, you like the pd-7, okay? :huh:[/quote]

It wasn't about taste at all, it was about, in this case, you saying that the PD-7 has too much hi-mids and sounds lo-fi. My PD-7 (back when I had one) never sounded like that regardless of what I was playing it through (and neither did the ODB-3 I had before for that matter) so I was guessing it was your amp making it sound like that... Since it shouldn't be your MM bass either, I guess it must be your ears then :)

[quote name='cheddatom' post='282345' date='Sep 12 2008, 09:08 AM']Why don't one of you run some white noise through a PD-7 and screen shot a frequency analyser? That would settle it.[/quote]

That would be interesting. Would be fun to compare it to the ODB-3 too. I have no way of doing it though. No PD7, no ODB-3 and no way of sending white noise through a pedal and back to the audio interface... :)

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='282458' date='Sep 12 2008, 11:13 AM']That would be interesting. Would be fun to compare it to the ODB-3 too. I have no way of doing it though. No PD7, no ODB-3 and no way of sending white noise through a pedal and back to the audio interface... :)[/quote]

I'd be able to do it with the PD7 if someone sent me a "white noise" .wav file, or told me how to create some white noise.