Why become a member? ×

Peavey to auction off 'Excess Stock' this week

MonkeyTrick

Pretty interesting (I don't know if this has been posted yet)

Peavey are auctioning off a ton of extra stock (including some trace gear) this week:

Link to story:
http://northamptonbands.com/2014/11/peavey-electronics-announce-massive-sale-excess-stock/

Auction link:
http://www.peacockauction.co.uk/other/musical-instruments-amplifiers-and-speakers/online-timed-auction/2014-11-25

Hold fire dudes, this the returns and repairs stuff. You can't test before you buy so you might end up with a useless amp!

I'd bet all the good ones were nabbed by dealers a long time ago and all that's left is the stuff that's too tricky to fix quickly. Approach with caution!

Also, don't forget you have to pay 41% on top of your winning bid. I, like you, was initially excited and have now decided to steer well clear!

Truckstop

This is more like a warehouse/repair centre being closed than just a stock clearance. All the tools and equipment including racking, lift trucks, scopes etc is also for sale.

Anything that is left will just either be sold at the next auction as a single lot, or it will be weighed in. No liquidator wants anything hanging around as it just costs them money afterwards.

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1416758392' post='2613220']
This is more like a warehouse/repair centre being closed than just a stock clearance. All the tools and equipment including racking, lift trucks, scopes etc is also for sale.
[/quote]

Auction houses take stock from various sources and whatever is in-house when their sale date comes around gets sold. The racks, forklifts and other stuff is likely as not from various sources rather than one but saying that you'd need all of that stuff if it was from Peavey/TE distributor or whatever.

I don't see it all being duff/returns/repairs as there are pages of stuff like pallets of Peavey drivers, horns, empty cabs, components etc.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1416738422' post='2612976']
Who knows for sure these are returns/seconds stock? As for not being bargains; if you get it for 50% of the new price (factoring in the 41% premium/tax) then how can it not be a bargain? :lol:[size=4] [/size]
[/quote]

I think the auction listing says somewhere that all the instruments and amps are returned, B, or ex-demo stock.

I think all the pristine gear will have been offloaded to dealers cheap.

There have been some killer deals kicking around on Peavey gear all year.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1416774006' post='2613485']

I had a look but for the life of me can't find that info.
[/quote]

It was definitely there on the main auction site when the first bread went up.

I'm in the car now so can't go back and check easily

It is the contents of a returns/ repair warehouse, the gear is all sold as seen with no returns, guarantees or comebacks.
There is [b]45% ON TOP[/b] of the price you bid .
A similar one happened in Ossett, strangely enough a lot of Trace gear as well, it had been canobolised for components and screwed back together.
The speaker cabs all had issues with either crossover faults and blown drivers, you might have made 1 cab out of 4 cabs.
However the PRICE the "bargain hunters" paid, many ignorant of the 45% on top, was totally eye watering .

I've been up to the site and had a look round. A lot of stuff at the front of the auction is ex-endorsed gear returned from tours; some looks tatty, some looks mint. You'd need to go to the site to work out which was which. I asked a couple of soon-to-be-ex-employees if the kit was working, and they all said, basically, yes, it 'should' be, and anyone was welcome to try anything out - nothing was being brushed under. The later stock (on the list) is in the warehouse and in better nick - but, again, no returns or guarantees. The very last few items, and the guitars, are in the demo area and are presumably ok - although some of the basses had knobs missing and shafts split - which would be a pain on a push/pull pot.

The whole site is for sale - they're clearing everything. There are whole pallets of ply, tolex, fixing and fasteners, cones etc, as well as bandsaws, a lathe, tooling etc. If you wanted to start a business building speaker cabs, this is what you'd need. And some space.

Another thing - if you bid on Trace heads, bid on the US made 1200 and 600w heads, not the 1000w and 500w UK heads. They look and feel rubbish.

And don't bid on anything I am. :-)

Edited by SimonH

Spent ages looking round on Saturday. Spoke to the staff who said Peavey are finding a UK distributor and shutting down the warehouse, will be a few weeks before they open a new repair centre but the impression I got was that the majority of stuff will be working. Lots was hire for festival-back line so it spends 8 months a year sitting about

General rule: amps in low lot numbers below about 400 are tatty and best avoided. Lot 460 (VB3 amp) is 120V so anybody tempted should avoid that one.

Most of the Trace gear is shooting up in price but to me it all looked in good condition visually.

Tested lot 1261 (VB-3 Michael Anthony signature + 2 cabs) myself with one of the 5-string basses, not my style as the head looks a bit tacky with the decals but it works alright. Probably would sound quite nice with a Fender P-bass but I the Peavey bass was awful.

Without looking into it further it should be ok but worth investigating properly for anyone who's interested. Anything on a 120V only supply could be run off a transformer.

I was mostly there for electric guitar amps + PA equip though so I've not paid much attention to bass gear. I expect there will be tonnes of VB-2 heads going for the reserve price.

If anyone is seriously interested you want to register to bid and get approved by the auctioneer ASAP (may take a couple of hours to go through), bidding ends at 11AM tomorrow.

Hello there! My first post after lurking here for a couple of months ... :)

I had a look around on Saturday. As stated above some of the low lot numbers had signs of gigging. Most of the cabs were in good order but some of the amps were a bit tatty. I checked out a number of cabs I was interested in with a multimeter and all tested OK. The cabs and amps from the demo room (later lots) looked very tidy. And there were one or two in the mid lots that were "new in box" (cables/covers etc.) but had been removed from their boxes for auction display.

Watching some lots close this morning, there was some real "buyer's fever" going on. I saw 1028H and 1018C cabs going for more than you can buy them new (old stock) on Amazon, when you factor in hammer tax and VAT...

I asked on Saturday what will happen to lots that did not meet their reserve. They will be re-auctioned.

Anyooo ... I'm happy. I picked up an AH600-12 for around £450 all in. Maybe a tad more than I wanted to spend, but it was in the demo room and very clean.

Edited by DuncanF

Nice one picking up the AH600 from the demo room, always pays to check new & used prices and not get sucked in to bidding wars. The last item to be sold was a Budda 212 cab, somebody ended up paying the best part of £400 (when fees and VAT are added). They can be bought for £450 online new and I got one in the auction for much less. Let us know how it plays :)

I think most of the Trace stuff went for a fair but not bargain price, then again it all looked very tidy. Pretty sure the majority of it was sold.

Speaking to one of the Peavey staff on Saturday there was talk of Trace Elliot gear undergoing a redesign, although manufacturing is moving out to the USA it's nice to know the brand is being invested in after Gibson made a mess of it.

I'm not sure what the reserve price on Peavey VB-2 and VB-3 amps were but I don't think they all got sold. Didn't put any bids on them as I was after guitar gear and couldn't find much info online about them. I'm going to phone the auction house later this week as I have some questions before picking up my lots so I will see if there was any VB-2 / VB-3s left.