Why become a member? ×

Need some input on a new bass combo.

aceuggy

I want to buy myself a bass combo. I've got about £300 budget and I've more or less whittled my choices down to three. Marshall MB150, Line 6 Lowdown LD 150 and Roland Cube 100. I haven't played any of them, my choice so far is based on price, the way they look and what I have read about them. It's difficult for me to get to play any before I buy as I don't have a music store nearby. So, what do you guys think? Any feedback would be good.

Edited by aceuggy

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='255438' date='Aug 5 2008, 02:54 PM']Hi aceuggy. What do you need it for. Home practice or gigging. If gigs, what size venues?

You might also want to think about Fender Rumbles. Very good combo amps.[/quote]

Initially just home practice, maybe gigs later. Not considered Fender as I play a 15W Rumble at the moment and not been too impressed to be honest. It's a bit weedy, but I guess the bigger amps would have more oomph.

Ok, if you're not taken with the Rumble, then maybe it's not for you. I used to have a 100w that got me back into pub gigs really well. I could have carried on with this but then I discovered this place and the cycle of buying and selling began. I don't have any experience with the others on your list although people talk highly of the Roland and Line 6.

Thought about second hand? There are some great buys to be had at the moment.

Also another thought for you. I don't actually have a practice amp anymore since getting a small mixer and a pair of active monitors. I simply plug into the mixer and jam along with stuff. You could prob set yourself like that for £150.

Edited by stingrayfan

On what basis have you chosen those amps ? I think you can get a lot better for your money that the ones you've shortlisted. The modelling/effects on the Line6 to me is a gimmick. Marshall aren't renowned for bass amps and the Roland is expensive for just 100w of power.

Personally on that budget i'd go for an Ashdown MAG300-210.. [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown-Mag-C210-T-300---Mag-EVO-II~ID~3071.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~A...-II~ID~3071.asp[/url]

I'm not just pimping Ashdown here, just wouldn't want to see you not get the most for your cash.

[quote name='aceuggy' post='255426' date='Aug 5 2008, 02:51 PM']I want to buy myself a bass combo. I've got about £300 budget and I've more or less whittled my choices down to three. Marshall MB150, Line 6 Lowdown LD 150 and Roland Cube 100. I haven't played any of them, my choice so far is based on price, the way they look and what I have read about them. It's difficult for me to get to play any before I buy as I don't have a music store nearby. So, what do you guys think? Any feedback would be good.[/quote]

Could also throw into the mix the Ashdown EB 15-180 EVO 11. I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!

I tried a Line6 studio 110 the other day alongside the tiny Roland micro cube RX or something (the one with 4 small speakers in it) and I really liked both of them. I wasn't using my own bass but the line6 had tons of volume and sounded fantastic, the Roland has less volume but built in drum patterns and so on. Both great fun....

[quote]Marshall MB150, Line 6 Lowdown LD 150 and Roland Cube 100[/quote]

Tried all three of these recently. Preferred the Fender Rumble 100 to these ( all in the same shop ), but bought an Ashdown Electric Blue 15". Can't remember the model number, but they only make 1 blue 15"er. Way nicer sound than the others ( none of the gadgets though, which I didn't want or need ). Looks great too. Seriously loud. Seriously heavy. £220ish.

i wouldnt go for the marshall personally dont now about the others though.if buying new then ashdown eb 15-180 evo11 would be ideal + £100 to spare!also ashdowns service is second to none if you ever needed it.secondhand i would look at a trace combo great sound and well inside your budget.

Had a Line6 LD150, great for the bedroom/practice.. Pants in a gigging situation

In my opinion you would be better getting more quality sound than bells and whistles for your money

[quote name='chrisba' post='255586' date='Aug 5 2008, 05:05 PM']Tried all three of these recently. Preferred the Fender Rumble 100 to these ( all in the same shop ), but bought an Ashdown Electric Blue 15". Can't remember the model number, but they only make 1 blue 15"er. Way nicer sound than the others ( none of the gadgets though, which I didn't want or need ). Looks great too. Seriously loud. Seriously heavy. £220ish.[/quote]

[quote name='Monz' post='255622' date='Aug 5 2008, 05:47 PM']Had a Line6 LD150, great for the bedroom/practice.. Pants in a gigging situation

In my opinion you would be better getting more quality sound than bells and whistles for your money[/quote]
100% agreed.

Laney RB combos worth a look IMHO, there are a few different types but the RB4 is 160w in a 1x15" Celestion package for £180 or for £270 you can have 300w.

My concern with Ashdown MAG stuff was always the reliability problem, don't know if that has improved or not recently.

when i went looking for a combo i tried the rumble 100 and the line 6.
the rumble has quite a gritty rocky sound and is pretty loud, the line six has all the effects but the amp itself i found boomy and lacking clarity and volume. i tried the hartke little wedge type combos and they ahd a nice sound but again didnt go loud enough.
the mag 300 210 which i ended up buying (on the back of trying out the mag 300 15 combo) is waaay louder and has a larger spectrum of tones from it, it doesnt have the effects of the line6 or the red flashy light thing of the rumble but everything else it does have works well and even on its own its more than enough for most gigs, want more get an extension cab and it goes up to it full 307watts, though it is really heavy.

never had a problem with my mag and had it for over a year now.

and i am pushing the mag, really worth the money, or go second hand and pick up something a little more

choices choices.

Edited by lowhand_mike

Well, I've really opened a can of worms here. Every one has an opinion I guess. I am leaning towards Ashdown. The mag 300 210 is a little over my budget and maybe too powerful for just playing at home. I like the look of the EB 15-180 EVO11 though.

I love my lowdown 300pro. Sooo loud that my band wont let me turn it up all that far. Excellent distortion sound, great ampeg sound and a lovely chorus. I dont need anything more but it gives it to me. Quite heavy though. IMHO beats the roland hands down. Not tried the fender. Not tried the marshall. I like ashdowns but only their 10" speakers.

Oh and the line6 has a direct out which is veeery useful!

Edited by charic

[quote name='aceuggy' post='255658' date='Aug 5 2008, 06:35 PM']Well, I've really opened a can of worms here. Every one has an opinion I guess. I am leaning towards Ashdown. The mag 300 210 is a little over my budget and maybe too powerful for just playing at home. I like the look of the EB 15-180 EVO11 though.[/quote]
the EB's are basically the same amp as the mag just without the VU meter and a lower power stage, you'll get about 100watts out of the combo on its own and would need to add another cab to get the 180.
as for the 210 too powerful it does have a volume control :) and would be ideal should you start gigging or practicing with a drummer

if it is just purely home use then the EB would be fine.

[quote name='aceuggy' post='255658' date='Aug 5 2008, 06:35 PM']Well, I've really opened a can of worms here. Every one has an opinion I guess. I am leaning towards Ashdown. The mag 300 210 is a little over my budget and maybe too powerful for just playing at home. I like the look of the EB 15-180 EVO11 though.[/quote]
Don't be frightened of buying something powerful. You'll soon be reaching for that master volume control as soon as you get anywhere near a drummer!

ps earlier your avatar was a friendly looking bloke playing bass - now it's like Eminem. :)

I tried the Line 6 and Ashdown Electric Blue combos, but came home with the Marshall MB4210. Plenty of headroom (300w, 450 with extension cab), 3 footswitchable tones (modern, classic and blend) and a valve pre-amp giving fantastic tone. I use it for practice at home as well as rehearsing/gigging, and it works well at lower volume.

The common comment about Marshall not having a good history as far as bass amps go is semi-valid (Entwhistle and Lemmy aside), but that is changing. Even Squier make decent basses now!

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='255664' date='Aug 5 2008, 06:40 PM']the EB's are basically the same amp as the mag just without the VU meter and a lower power stage,[/quote]

Wrong ! They have a VU meter and have done for a while now, they previously had an LED version.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='255679' date='Aug 5 2008, 07:08 PM']ps earlier your avatar was a friendly looking bloke playing bass - now it's like Eminem. :huh:[/quote]

Haha, perhaps I should change it back again as that is more like me really. :) Friendly I mean.

Edited by aceuggy

Ok, I'm sold on Ashdown, only question that remains. Is the Mag-C210-T-300 worth the extra £90 over the EB15-180 EVO11?

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown-Mag-C210-T-300---Mag-EVO-II~ID~3071.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~A...-II~ID~3071.asp[/url]

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=9003"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=9003[/url]

[quote name='aceuggy' post='255782' date='Aug 5 2008, 09:07 PM']Ok, I'm sold on Ashdown, only question that remains. Is the Mag-C210-T-300 worth the extra £90 over the EB15-180 EVO11?

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown-Mag-C210-T-300---Mag-EVO-II~ID~3071.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~A...-II~ID~3071.asp[/url]

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=9003"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=9003[/url][/quote]

I think so yes - Theres a big thread about ashdown basically saying the tens are lot more defined than the 15's - I personally cant compare the mag series but know its true of the ABM.

Anyway, in amps and cabs there is the ashdown humble pie thread, go have a read :)

Edited by ste_m3

[quote name='aceuggy' post='255782' date='Aug 5 2008, 09:07 PM']Ok, I'm sold on Ashdown, only question that remains. Is the Mag-C210-T-300 worth the extra £90 over the EB15-180 EVO11?[/quote]

The MAG210 is definitely capable of gigging on it's own, the EB I would say will struggle when it get's loud (i've owned an EB previously by the way). You won't have to upgrade with the MAG and may regret saving the cash in a few months time if you went for the EB.