Why become a member? ×

Show your Wals... Appreciation Thread

overwater#1

[quote name='Francesco' post='1375393' date='Sep 16 2011, 01:28 PM']It looks like an old one, if you look at the stringtree. Is it made bij Paul, the guy who runs Wal basses? :)[/quote]

No, you are right, it's an old one(80's i believe)! I meant pete or wal...
(i editted my previous post).

Edited by RonC

[quote name='Francesco' timestamp='1316201993' post='1375913']
It certainly looked like an oldie. Thanks.
@ it seems it has some kind of black stripe in the center of the body. Is that an Wal option?
[/quote]

That's right, They often used to place a center stripe between the two bookmatched laminated facings.

The 6 that was littleal's is temporarily in my possession (the bass is staggering in every way, I just can't play 6s). I know there are some images up in earlier pages but I was taking photographs for an interested party (potential purchaser) so thought I'd stick a few on here. Taking a good look at the bass confirmed my earlier thoughts - the work that Paul is producing is fabulous - the aesthetic and quality remains intact, but the visual appeal of some of the new basses is just stunning

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='RonC' timestamp='1316079200' post='1374138']
Could it be this one?
At the 12th of august i picked up my MK1 sycamore Wal at the workshop, which looks a bit like flamed maple.
[/quote]

The thing with sycamore is that I find it's a bit more 'white' or pearlescent than maple. The back of my ACG is flamed sycamore, which is quite sharply constrasted against the golden tint of the flamed maple neck.

[quote name='steviedee' timestamp='1316814804' post='1383421']
I've joined the Wal club, Mk1 1983 wenge facings, this bass has been owned by a couple of BCers but now it's all mine and I'm loving it!

[attachment=90064:wal.jpg]
[/quote]
Hey congrats Stevie! Looks good against the blonde DB :)

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1316882531' post='1384051']
So you're trying to offload a mk1?
[/quote]

Was this to me? Not sure as not quoted... If it was, then no! not necessarily...

I had two bookmatched Wals made to order in the 80's. I stupidly sold the fretted one in a time of financial desperation in the early 90s, and regretted ever since. I swore I would never sell the Fretless, but as I now only seem to play 5 strings it spends its life in a case. If there was anyone out there with a 5 string fretless who would like to trade I would love to discuss...

If I [i]had [/i]to sell it to buy a 5 string, I would only advertise and sell this [i]after [/i]I had bought!

[quote name='barend' timestamp='1317560743' post='1391755']
Really like the right one. Beautiful finish. is that some sort of sycamore?
is it a recent one?
[/quote]

Barend, the right Wal indeed features "stained" sycamore facings and it's only a couple of days old. I got it last Wednesday from Paul.

Paul told me he had needed a lot of trial and error to get that colour for me without having to really stain the wood anymore like in former Wal days.

Its appearance is very 3-dimensional and, yes, creased silk was also my first thought :)

The body goes very well with the almost black rosewood board and the black poly finish of the neck.

Here's a close-up:

[quote name='spiritchaser' timestamp='1317632399' post='1392400']
Barend, the right Wal indeed features "stained" sycamore facings and it's only a couple of days old. I got it last Wednesday from Paul.
[/quote]

It is one of the most beautiful Wal facing I have seen. The rosewood almost looks like ebony.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a Pro last summer and just had it defretted...
Not the best clip (it sounds more boomy in my new house) but it gives an impression..
It's a rather "limited" bass (just volume and tone and a switch) but it delivers the sort of sound I'm after..

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWUGf3GFKFs&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWUGf3GFKFs&feature=player_embedded[/url]

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1318753497' post='1405722']
Bought a Pro last summer and just had it defretted...
Not the best clip (it sounds more boomy in my new house) but it gives an impression..
It's a rather "limited" bass (just volume and tone and a switch) but it delivers the sort of sound I'm after..
[/quote]

That´s a wonderful sound. Did you have the fretboard painted?